News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

Cave Dweller problems

Started by westerton, January 26, 2014, 08:53:06 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

westerton

Hello!
Im new to the Madbean forums and I need a little help.
I recently built a Cave Dweller following the below vero layout but followed Madbeans part list.
http://www.aronnelson.com/gallery/main.php/v/Renegadrian/cave+dweller.gif.html

It seems that I am only getting any type of delay/oscillation capabilities is when I have the Time knob turned all the way DOWN, and only then is where I am able to adjust the Echo and Dwell to hear any changes in the sound at all (which it usually ends up spiraling out of control if i dont dial them down a little).
If i try to turn up the Time knob at all, any delay/oscillation happening stops immediately and then I get nothing after that.

Now I want to mention:

• R11, I ran 2 - 10k in parallel to get 5k because I do not have a 5.1k resistor. (This 5.1k resistor runs directly to the Time knob.)
  • Also R6, I have 2 - 1k resistors in series to get 2k.
  • R1 - I have a 680k in place because i dont have any 750k
  • Socketed C3 and have a 3.3n in there
The combined resistors both measured out correctly before i put them in.
Would any of these changes have anything to do with the issues im having?

Any help / info would be greatly appreciated, thanks!

westerton

Update!!

I didn't see it at first, but finally noticed that I wasent supposed to use a pin on the IC. I bent that puppy up and it fixed the problem! Sounds real nice.

On to the next project!

muddyfox

Don't you just love it when it's something simple that doesn't require desoldering a whole bunch of components?  ;D

westerton

Yes!!
Thankfully that's all it was! Whew..
Stepping away for a day to refresh my head may have helped as well.
:o

stevie1556

Glad you got it working! I love my Cave Dweller! Great delay there

Sent from my thumbs using Tapatalk!

westerton

Thanks, me too!
I'm liking it so far, haven't been able to box it yet but I do plan on combining it with a reverb as well and add a momentary infinite repeat switch.

Would you suggest putting the delay before or after a reverb?
Also any additional mods you can suggest?

After looking at some other madbean entries I've already socketed and switched out C3, R1 and C1 to mess around with.
I'm still rather new at building, so any suggestions would be great!

Thanks.

muddyfox

Quote from: westerton on January 27, 2014, 03:40:25 PM

Would you suggest putting the delay before or after a reverb?

You can put in an order switcher switch so you can have it both ways.

westerton

I'm going to give this a shot and see what happens!
I'll use a toggle 3PDT switch as the "switcher" and then on the 2 effect stomps, bridge the bottom left and middle lugs for ground, then wire the individual effect LEDs off the upper left lug as usual.

Sound right?

muddyfox

I'm in a rush right now and can't give your schematic a fair go, but I will say that I always use this one, sans the led (so you don't need a 4pdt, only a 3pdt) and it's more often than not a regular switch (not a stomp)

westerton

I looked at the 2 side by side and they do look relatively similar, just minimal differences and flipped.
All in all, the same concept from what I can see.

muddyfox

You should be safe with either, then!  ;D
Looking forward to your build.... any ideas which reverb you are going to go with?

westerton

Yeah thanks for your help.

I havent decided 100% just yet which reverb. Im going to be using it for bass however.
Right now, I've sort of taken a liking to the Box of Hall.

Do you have any recommended reverbs that work well with bass?