News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

A Wee Drop Of Th' 'Eavy

Started by alanp, January 26, 2014, 01:30:55 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

DutchMF

Pantera? They didn't do any songs that were slow all the way through, but when they did slow down, it was heavy as f*ck and still grooving. I like that band a lot!!

Paul
"If you can't stand the heat, stay away from the soldering iron!"

sonarchotic

For me Neurosis are about as heavy as it gets. Isis has some seriously heavy shit too.

selfdestroyer

You know, ever since this thread was started I have been listening to some bands i was really into a few years a go. I found that today, I am really into the music but the vocals are getting to me. Not sure what it is, I guess that's why I still love Bongripper since they are almost 100% instrumental but have some great heavy slow music. Hippie Killer & Hate Ashbury are the 2 albums I play the most by them.

Another note, I rely on Last.fm for "similar artist" most of the time and I always come out ahead. Just put in a band you like and check out the "similar artist" section.

Cody

evildead222

If you like sleep you would loooooovve Electric Wizard!

the3secondrule

Harvey Milk. Check the video. Honourable mention for Beatles and VU references ;p

Also, part chimp:

"I have many leatherbound books, and my apartment smells of rich mahogany"

alanp

I'll add Boris to this list. Looked 'em up 'cos I read a few reviews that mentioned them in connection with Sunn O))). _Amplifier Worship_ is amazing.
"A man is not dead while his name is still spoken."
- Terry Pratchett
My OSHpark shared projects
My website

neve1272

ok i hate you guys just spent too much on itunes
Kip

alanp

- Terry Pratchett
My website

evildead222

Boris is AWESOME!!! That orange stack wata has is amazing.

alanp

A thought occurred to me.

What IS "heavy" music?

Sunn O)))'s "Agkartha" is undeniably heavy. Neutronium heavy.

But, taken as a whole, _The Final Cut_ by the Floyd is also heavy, in just how psychologically damaged it is, sometimes. Not to mention _The Wall_.

I'm now curious as to what you guys think makes music heavy.
- Terry Pratchett
My website

RobA

Quote from: alanp on February 08, 2014, 04:34:50 AM

What IS "heavy" music?

But, taken as a whole, _The Final Cut_ by the Floyd is also heavy, in just how psychologically damaged it is, sometimes. Not to mention _The Wall_.

Funny coincidence, I was listening to Welcome to the Machine today in the car and thought to myself, "now that's heavy."

But heavy in a metal sorta way, Motörhead's March or Die.
Affiliations: Music Unfolding (musicunfolding.com), software based effects and Rock•it Frog (rock.it-frog.com), DIY effects (coming soon).

sonarchotic

Quote from: alanp on February 08, 2014, 04:34:50 AM

What IS "heavy" music?

It's a subjective term but to me it means 'dense'. Whether it's spiritually, emotionally, mentally, physically or all the above. The band Low can be as heavy to me as any heavy band though they are not by the usual definition 'heavy'.  And by the flip of that there are plenty of loud, detuned, screaming bands that I don't think are heavy at all. Whether it's because they lack originality or passion I don't know but I do know there is no set formula for it for me. It just has to hit me.

alanp

Dear God in Heaven... if you like heavy music, and you haven't heard Earth's "Earth 2: Special Low Frequency Version", then you need to get it. Somehow.

The standout track for me is "Like Gold And Faceted". How to sum it up... meditate to a A chord, feeding back on itself, with the universe drifting in and out of sync to it, for thirty minutes straight.
- Terry Pratchett
My website

alanp

Quote from: selfdestroyer on January 26, 2014, 09:11:27 AM
I forgot about Bongripper.
Heres a great EP.

Sorry for the lateness of this reply, but something has been bugging me. (Great link, btw).

What part of England is Ashbury in? Sounds like it's english. And the world is full of teenagers and young adults who hate the smalltime little hole of a town they live in...
- Terry Pratchett
My website

jtn191

I love Earth. They were recommended by the same person who liked Pallbearer. Makes my brain/soul hurt

fyi dylan carlson supposedly owned Cobain's shotgun...those are some heavy feelings