News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

A Wee Drop Of Th' 'Eavy

Started by alanp, January 26, 2014, 01:30:55 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

alanp

I read something in an interview with the guitarist from Celtic Frost once. Never heard the band, but the quote stuck in my mind -- "it's the slow stuff that's heavy."

The _Dopesmoker_ album was heavy as hell. Earth is heavy. Sunn is in risk of imploding into a black hole of it's own.

What are some other great, great slow, heavy albums?
"A man is not dead while his name is still spoken."
- Terry Pratchett
My OSHpark shared projects
My website

selfdestroyer

The first Jesu album comes to mind. I'm sure I will think of more as the day goes on. TBC

Cody

GrindCustoms

Celtic Frost... vintage kick ass Metulz band! lml

I think Tool and Deftones have done well in the departement of being slow and heavy.

One of my favorite -way to heavy for existence- band is Swan, pretty noisy.. but.. not a lot of band that i know come close to that heaviness.

Been a Neurosis fan for a long time too....

Jesu is solid! 8)
Killing Unicorns, day after day...

Building a better world brick by brick:https://rebrickable.com/users/GrindingBricks/mocs/

ncdb07

Type O Negative always comes to mind when I think slow and heavy
ncdb07
Daniel

lars

That's a great quote, and so true. It reminds me of a couple from Kim Thayil from Soundgarden:
on guitar solos:
"Most are annoying, self-indulgent," he said. "To me, a great guitar solo is Neil Young's on 'Cinammon Girl,' where he plays basically one note."

on his reason for doing what he does:
"I play guitar because I like to make loud noises. And the guitar is the coolest way to make a loud noise."

jubal81

"If you put all the knobs on your amplifier on 10 you can get a much higher reaction-to-effort ratio with an electric guitar than you can with an acoustic."
- David Fair

jkokura

Quote from: lars on January 26, 2014, 03:13:47 AM
...Kim Thayil from Soundgarden...

And thinking about Soundgarden - Mailman, Black Hole Sun and Limo Wreck have always stuck out to me as some of their heaviest songs, and they're pretty slow too.

Jacob
JMK Pedals - Custom Pedal Creations
JMK PCBs *New Website*
pedal company - youtube - facebook - Used Pedals

derevaun

I'm a big fan of Electric Wizard's Come My Fanatics album. It's too heavy to do much other than wallow in lazy Sabbath style riffage. OTOH, Boris' Heavy Rocks is thick and heavy but also a bit active and quirky.

Oh, and Pallbearer. Gotta be as heavy as you can get with telecasters :o

selfdestroyer

I forgot about Bongripper.
Heres a great EP.

Vallhagen

I use to namedrop four bands as my favourites of the nineties. One of them is Kings X, very slow, very musical, very heavy. Skip the first album, then check out the releases from 89 to 94, all brilliant.

Black Sabbath of course, but thats obvious.

Kyuss maybe? Tool...

Cheers

Yes i still have Blüe Monster pcb-s for sale!

...and checkout: https://moodysounds.se/

juansolo

Quote from: derevaun on January 26, 2014, 05:10:01 AM
I'm a big fan of Electric Wizard's Come My Fanatics album. It's too heavy to do much other than wallow in lazy Sabbath style riffage. OTOH, Boris' Heavy Rocks is thick and heavy but also a bit active and quirky.

Oh, and Pallbearer. Gotta be as heavy as you can get with telecasters :o

I tried an Electric Wizard album recently and actually found it too heavy. I could only manage about half of it at a time before it became overwhelming. Impressive. Shame I didn't get on with it.
Gnomepage - DIY effects library & stuff in the Stompage bit
"I excite very large doom for days" - playpunk

Matt

I think Crowbar has to be mentioned here.  If you haven't heard it, check out their version of No Quarter.
Matt

Marv Mod

Candlemass. So slow, so heavy!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

kaycee

Italian stoner group, Ufomammut, slow, sludgy and spacey. Try the Opus Primum album. Loop did some slower tracks now and then, Gilded Eternity album is a good one.

juansolo

Quote from: kaycee on January 27, 2014, 11:32:32 AM
Italian stoner group, Ufomammut, slow, sludgy and spacey. Try the Opus Primum album. Loop did some slower tracks now and then, Gilded Eternity album is a good one.

Who are also the source of a lot of the borrowed artwork on my pedals (under the guise of Malleus).
Gnomepage - DIY effects library & stuff in the Stompage bit
"I excite very large doom for days" - playpunk