News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

My projects so far this year

Started by jordash184, January 24, 2014, 04:32:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

jordash184

So I built a love pedal eternity this time last year and really enjoyed the experience. Then I tried the engineers thumb and try as I might I couldn't get it working. In the end I stopped trying. As it happens I'd bought loads of bits from tayda, but not tried building anything with them. Fast forward to new year 2014, a bit bored at home. Got this huge box of bits and a nice solder station, let's have another go!
Well the first pedal went well and I am hooked again. Well since the beginning of the year I've built:

Wampler black '65
Paul Cochrane Timmy
Comet filter
Rog big grace
Mxr headphone amp
Nurse quacky
Xotic rc booster
Blue clipper
Engineers thumb (different schem, still doesn't work, so probably a knackered ic or transistor)
deep blue delay

All (apart from engineers thumb) I've had working. Some definitely nicer than others. I boxed up the Wampler, deep blue delay, rc booster, nurse quacky and timmy. I've had a go at custom paint jobs, but are isn't really my thing:

Wampler and Deep Blue Delay

Gut shot of the delay

Gut shot of the Wampler

Nurse Quacky & RC Booster (tried different LED lighting for on/off)

same photo with flash on

I've run out of enclosures and money at the minute, but once my wife lets me have some spending money  :o I'll buy some bits for another 10 pedals.

flanagan0718

How did you illuminate the base plate!?!?! I must know!
PS. these look great!!

danwelsh

Cool builds man. I really like the wampler art. and Ur lit up bottoms

jordash184

Thanks guys,

Here's a shot of all of my pedals so far:

The lit up base plates are 3mm clear acrylic. I used 1 LED at either end point towards each other. It gives a pretty even light all-round.

GrindCustoms

Killing Unicorns, day after day...

Building a better world brick by brick:https://rebrickable.com/users/GrindingBricks/mocs/

jordash

Here is a sneak peek of a prototype diy pedalboard I'm trying to design:

Still a long way to go, need to think about surface covering, bolt on extension pieces, customised cables, inbuilt power supply, portability and pedal attachment ideas. Got loads of thoughts, but not enough time to try them all, but I'll try and keep this thread updated with this and other pedal builds.

stevie1556

They look great! And an amazing start to the year!

Love the light up base plates!

das234

The paint jobs are great and unique, especially the green one.  I'd love to see a closer/bigger picture of them and hear how you did the finish.

jordash

Thanks,
The paint jobs are done with the 'swirl' techniques, gone bad! I prime the enclosure, then use slightly watered down acrylic paints, just put spots of different colours on where you want them, then use a cocktail stick to 'drag' the different colours into each other. The paint doesn't actually mix that easily, hence the funky patterns. Then you leave it to dry (takes forever!). I tried speeding it up on a low heat in the oven, but I wouldn't recommend it as it smells quite a bit (got in trouble with the wife for that!). Then I just clear coat it to give it a bit of surface protection. I'll see if I can get some decent photos together and post them up this evening.

Sent from my GT-I9100 using Tapatalk

jordash184

Here are some better photo's of the builds:

Eternity

Timmy

Deep Blue Delay

Wampler Black '65

Nurse Quacky

RC Booster

m-Kresol

Nice looking pedals! I also build a pedalboard myself in november, I'll show it to you guys with my next builds. Just one thing: since velcro tape is unbelievably expensive, I just bought a small amount - enough for my pedals bottoms, but way too less to cover the pedal board. I used some pieces of carpet tiles we had around instead. They are fluffy enough to make your pedals stick. They don't stick to the board too much, but it's enough to keep them nice and clean and prevent any unwanted moving when hitting the stomp.

Also, I like to copy your LED trick in the far future, if that is ok ;) How many LEDs in total did you use for the lighting of one pedal?
I build pedals to hide my lousy playing.

My projects are labeled Quantum Effects. My shared OSH park projects: https://oshpark.com/profiles/m-Kresol
My build docs and tutorials

jordash

I'm thinking along similar line with the carpet. I have some left over from carpet lining my van.

I used 2 3mm less, 1 at each end (about 15mm from the edge) , but pointing towards each other to maximise the light dispersion. Just bear in mind that you loose 3-5mm in height inside, so to us build needs to be pretty flat to fit in, although I'm sure you guys will be far better than me at that.

Sent from my GT-I9100 using Tapatalk

das234

I really like the paint job on that booster.  It looks like nerve cells/ flowers/ Dr. Seuss thingys.

jordash

I've got around to trying a surface covering. Unfortunately I wasn't being particularly neat, so some of the sewing is rubbish, but it does prove a concept quite nicely. Now I just need to get some velcro for the under side of the Pedals.