News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

Sound on sound pedal?

Started by AntKnee, January 22, 2014, 03:58:22 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

jkokura

The only hazard with that idea is that the JMK Modular delay is designed to work only in conjunction with the Taptation PCBs. You could end up using a Modulated delay, but even then - the PT2399 circuit is only really designed to give a little bit of delay for a fairly short amount of repeats. Getting it to repeat a long time isn't really pleasant without a lot, and I mean a LOT of tweaking of several elements in the circuit, so building one isn't a guaranteed equivalent of what Gilmour is doing.

Also, just to fill you guys in, the Paralyzer works like this:

Send 1 > Return 1 > Mix/Blend Knob
Signal in > Buffered Splitter <                                                      > Output Buffer > Signal Out
                                            Send 2 > Return 2 > Mix/Blend Knob

So, it could be used, but you would need to use some creative planning in terms of how it would ultimately come together.

Jacob
JMK Pedals - Custom Pedal Creations
JMK PCBs *New Website*
pedal company - youtube - facebook - Used Pedals

AllenM

Updated my post so it is more accurate and added the idea of using the Panner since you don't really need the second loop.

I was mainly expanding the idea of having a delay with tails and being able to do swells as well.. then being able to bypass the whole thing if needed.

Another idea would be to install the Panner in a WAH shell with a volume pot feeding the send and then you could insert any Delay or effect your wanted in the loop and be able to mix it with your dry signal.

Sorry if this is derailing the OP.

AllenM

jkokura

No, help is appreciated Allen. The more ideas we can come up with, the more likely we can narrow down the solution.

Jacob
JMK PCBs *New Website*

AntKnee

I'm starting to think that maybe simplifying is the solution. How about creating a pedal that is simply a splitter, with a dry channel and an effect loop, using a volume pedal to control an effect loop and also has a mixer to mix the dry and effect loop back into a mono output. Then you could put whatever effect you wanted into the effect loop, and experiment with different external delay pedals to get the right effect.
I build, and once in a while I might sell, pedals as "Vertigo Effects".

AntKnee

basic sketch on post it!
I'd even bet this would fit into a basic wah enclosure and you could put the mix knobs on the side.

AllenM

That sounds like my last post :)
We are on the same page!

AntKnee

Quote from: AllenM on January 23, 2014, 07:43:09 AM
That sounds like my last post :)
We are on the same page!

Oh yeah. Great idea! ;)
Now if I only knew how to build the circuit!
My ideas are still ahead of my skill level. ???
If only there were someone here who had the time to draw up a schematic... (ahem, cough, cough)

aballen

I like this idea as well,  I love Dave's sound in sound setup... But I was thinking instead of a delay my my Tenebrion reverb could do the trick.  What keeps the new notes from coming through the delay though, cause you really want a sample and hold effect in there don't you?

jkokura

It's the split in the signal. What he's doing is sending the pedal through one signal path when the volume pedal is one way, and another signal path when the pedal is the other way. Then the signal gets mixed back together again.

You could do the same essentially, but instead of a panner pedal, split the signal and place a volume control in just the one path, the one with the infinite delay Setup. My recommendation is a good digital delay that can do long, long repeats without having much signal degredation. That, or a freeze type pedal where you can play and then set that sound to run infinitely.

Doing it all DIY may be hard. That Ernie Ball Panner pedal would solve a lot of problems for you though. Then all you'd have to build is a mixer to 'recieve' the two signal paths. One path would be your normal sound, and the other path could be that delayed, infinite sound.

The Cathedral is a pedal, a reverb pedal, that has an infinite reverb function when you hold a momentary switch. You could mod it with a latching switch that might then work as what you're wanting/looking for.

Jacob
JMK PCBs *New Website*

aballen

How about using a dual op amp.  One goes to an lf398 and the other comes through dry.  Then combine them.  A stomp can trigger the lf398... And you could always put a send/return loop after the lf398 as well

AntKnee

Quote from: jkokura on January 27, 2014, 05:52:39 AM
Doing it all DIY may be hard. That Ernie Ball Panner pedal would solve a lot of problems for you though. Then all you'd have to build is a mixer to 'recieve' the two signal paths. One path would be your normal sound, and the other path could be that delayed, infinite sound.

Would it be hard to put a splitter circuit, a volume pot, a send/return, and mixer inside a wah enclosure? (see my highly technical post it diagram above)

jkokura

Quote from: AntKnee on January 28, 2014, 03:10:23 AM
Quote from: jkokura on January 27, 2014, 05:52:39 AM

Would it be hard to put a splitter circuit, a volume pot, a send/return, and mixer inside a wah enclosure? (see my highly technical post it diagram above)

Totally doable, except that by the time you've done all that, buying a used Panner pedal may have been less expensive and easier.

The hardest part is that wah enclosures can be expensive, and getting a proper volume control in a wah enclosure isn't the easiest. They're designed for the Wah pots out there, not volume ones. You could find a Dunlop or Ernie Ball volume pedal and mod it I suppose. Better that, modding a VPJr or something.

Jacob
JMK PCBs *New Website*

AntKnee

Could the split be a simple passive "Y" into two paths, or would it require some boost?

jkokura

Personally, I'd buffer it. Passive split can affect the treble response of the signal depending on the location in the chain. It's about impedance.

Jacob
JMK PCBs *New Website*

AntKnee

Hmmm. Ok.
I am still researching the basics... I have not yet found a premade pcb or simple to understand layout for a splitter and mixer. I know they are simple circuits, just dont quite understand schematics and how to translate them into perf.

I have a morley wah I will use if feasible,  but will prob try to find an ernie ball volume to build onto. I want to do a split so the dry channel is always on, dont want any blending done before the mixer. I am afraid the panner will do that. I just want to control the wet output volume with the pedal.