News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

Hope I'm not ruffling feathers...

Started by eldanko, January 20, 2014, 08:57:41 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

GermanCdn

Quote from: juansolo on January 20, 2014, 10:33:28 PM
I'm actually putting off posting up a recent build as it looks more like the one on the left than the one on the right. It's just one of those layouts that makes it impossible to do neatly. Then I made the cables too long because I expected for some of the pot wiring to be wrong (long story), and it wasn't this time... Pretty it ain't. When the knobs turn up it'll get posted for completeness. But its not one I'm particularly proud of the insides of.

Yeah, I just finished one with a similar issue, crammed a couple of different circuits, a vero for grounding, power, and CLRs, a flipper switch, and no 3PDT pcbs....it sounds great, but she ain't gonna win on looks.
The only known cure in the world for GAS is death.  That's my story, and I'm sticking to it.

lars

Great blog with practical guidance for buying "boutique" pedals. Now if somebody could just convince Ebay sellers that just because a pedal is vintage, doesn't mean it's the best guitar effect ever made.

eldanko

Thanks for the kind words guys. I must have struck a nerve with this one, as it's gotten quite a bit more attention than my usual posts. Nevertheless, it's all been positive responses so far, so hopefully this will help some people out here and there. It just kills me to see people buying cheap clone-y junk when there's so many talented people here at MBP alone (not to mention FSB, DIYSB, BYOC, and all of the other communities out there) doing absolutely fantastic work.

Juansolo - I'm half tempted to add your picture to the article. I was cracking up looking at it. I don't even have pictures of my first few builds (which were BYOC kits), and I guarantee that they're horrendous.

Quote from: juansolo on January 20, 2014, 10:33:28 PM
I'm actually putting off posting up a recent build as it looks more like the one on the left than the one on the right. It's just one of those layouts that makes it impossible to do neatly. Then I made the cables too long because I expected for some of the pot wiring to be wrong (long story), and it wasn't this time... Pretty it ain't. When the knobs turn up it'll get posted for completeness. But its not one I'm particularly proud of the insides of. I should probably goop it...

The point in the article about "messy wiring" was one where I tried to tread lightly. Simply put, some builds just aren't set up for clean wiring. My univibe project has a great deal of spaghetti inside due to the way that it's laid out, but it's uber-reliable and quiet as a mouse. Still, I do feel like you can generally tell by looking whether or not the wiring layout has been thought out carefully or just mashed together.
www.danekinser.com - Music, Builds, other nonsense

chromesphere

Nice post Dane, it was a good read. 

The return policy point is a good one. I was randomly sniffing around the internet a few years back when I came across a thread. Someone was saying that they bought a fuzz clone and it died.  About 10 people followed with comments along the lines of "that's what you get for buying a clone".  I was really disappointed that the gear-heads thought us DIY types were just after a quick buck, selling amateur half-rate unreliable gear.  I was selling a few pedals at that time and instantly added a return policy to my ebay listing.  I guess I realised at that point, im not just representing myself, im representing the greater diy community.

I encourage anyone else that sells pedals to do that same.  We need to show the gear lovers out there how awesome we are at building this stuff, and how we will stand by it.
Pedal Parts Shop              Youtube

blackedition

Quote from: juansolo on January 20, 2014, 09:51:17 PM
My before and after pics are better :) Scary that It was brought to my attention at the weekend that I've been building pedals now for five years  :o

Nothing wrong with that blog at all.

Wow, that's pretty darn clean!  Did you use stranded wire or solid wire?  I'm curious because it looks like those wires are holding shape well.

GrindCustoms

Quote from: blackedition on January 21, 2014, 03:20:21 AM
Quote from: juansolo on January 20, 2014, 09:51:17 PM
My before and after pics are better :) Scary that It was brought to my attention at the weekend that I've been building pedals now for five years  :o

Nothing wrong with that blog at all.

Wow, that's pretty darn clean!  Did you use stranded wire or solid wire?  I'm curious because it looks like those wires are holding shape well.

Green Solid Core Copper Wire of Awesomeness (it asks for capitals) Been using that stuff for the past few months... will never go back, ever.

And now, let's go read that blog, looks interesting! 8)
Killing Unicorns, day after day...

Building a better world brick by brick:https://rebrickable.com/users/GrindingBricks/mocs/

alanp

Bloody lucky for me you didn't say anything about shoddy graphics on the outside ;) Interesting read.

Juan, I really, really want to see this mystery build of yours now!
"A man is not dead while his name is still spoken."
- Terry Pratchett
My OSHpark shared projects
My website

GrindCustoms

Would you mind if i share that on my facebook page?

You did a great job and i think that it's a great read for anyone that is in the pedal market as a buyer or runs a small buisness from it.

Building a better world brick by brick:https://rebrickable.com/users/GrindingBricks/mocs/

eldanko

Quote from: GrindCustoms on January 21, 2014, 04:33:44 AM

You did a great job and i think that it's a great read for anyone that is in the pedal market as a buyer or runs a small buisness from it.

By all means, go ahead! The fine folks at Caroline Guitar Company already did the same thing.
www.danekinser.com - Music, Builds, other nonsense

juansolo

Quote from: eldanko on January 21, 2014, 01:40:41 AMJuansolo - I'm half tempted to add your picture to the article. I was cracking up looking at it. I don't even have pictures of my first few builds (which were BYOC kits), and I guarantee that they're horrendous.

By all means :) My first builds were BYOCs also, but were super neat (not sure how I pulled that). I think that was build number 3 or 4 and it was my first scratch build on vero. A Valvecaster and LPB on one board. Worked really well, looked utterly horrendous.

Quote from: GrindCustoms on January 21, 2014, 03:22:33 AMGreen Solid Core Copper Wire of Awesomeness (it asks for capitals) Been using that stuff for the past few months... will never go back, ever.

We might, they don't make it any more and I've only got 300m left.

Saying that, I think we might have found another place with some left.

Quote from: alanp on January 21, 2014, 04:11:41 AM
Juan, I really, really want to see this mystery build of yours now!

Oh it's coming. Just waiting for the knobs to turn up and it'll be up there.
Gnomepage - DIY effects library & stuff in the Stompage bit
"I excite very large doom for days" - playpunk

Cortexturizer

Solid core wire is all I use. If I as much as look at stranded wire I get uber furious. It's awesome that even some companies have embraced your blog post Dane, Caroline Guitar is one of my favorite companies out there, Philippe is such a cool dude.
https://kuatodesign.blogspot.com - thoughts on some pedals I made
https://soundcloud.com/kuato-design-stompboxes - sounds and jams

juansolo

Quote from: eldanko on January 21, 2014, 04:34:30 AM
Quote from: GrindCustoms on January 21, 2014, 04:33:44 AM

By all means, go ahead! The fine folks at Caroline Guitar Company already did the same thing.

I've done the same  8)
Gnomepage - DIY effects library & stuff in the Stompage bit
"I excite very large doom for days" - playpunk

raulduke

Good post and I agree 100%

There is always room for improvement too (even for the big boutique guys). I'm always trying to get my builds neater and neater.

micromegas

I already share this as GreenHouseRoy posted the article on facebook.

Really good article, I've been talking about the same thing with a friend of mine that has a few of pedals built by me and also bought some in the forums.

I enjoyed "the amp journey" posts a lot too!
'My favorite programming language is solder' - Bob Pease

Software Developer @ bela.io

GrindCustoms

Juan, i can get some of the same stuff from www.bulkwire.com and they carry lots of other high quality wire, their price is just a tad over what you where getting it for.

In my shop re-strock process that i'm in at the moment, i was planning on getting couple Ks meters of it.... so i'm done for a while.