News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

NAD

Started by PhiloB, January 16, 2014, 03:11:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

PhiloB

I bought my first guitar/amp used for $75.  The guitar was a Harmony Strat copy and a Gorilla GG-20.  2 months later my 'good' friend came back and said the amp wasn't his to sell and needed it back.  So, I sold it back to him.  In the early days I never could find an amp that I liked as much.  So, 23 years later I finally have another Gorilla - $15.  This one has built in chorus that actually sounds pretty dang good.  BTW,  I may have romanticized the memory of the sound I got those first few months but in reality, this amp can really sound pretty good.  Crank the volume all the way, add a little 'Tube Stack' and you get some wicked crunch/distortion.  Poor little 6.5" speaker.  I'm loving it!

madbean

My first amp was also a Gorilla with chorus ('88 I think?). Great find!

PhiloB

Spent some time before work with it.  If you turn on the chorus and turn the depth all the way down it gets a much better sound.  Thicker but not all muddier.  Gonna have search for a schematic and see what's going on in the chorus.

PhiloB

Got mine in '90 BTW.  Guess that makes us Gorilla Bros!

madbean

Same thing with the chorus on the ADA MP1. Turn it on but keep the depth to zero....fattens up the sound. I kinda miss my MP1 too. Ahh, the 90's.

pickdropper

Quote from: madbean on January 16, 2014, 05:22:20 PM
Same thing with the chorus on the ADA MP1. Turn it on but keep the depth to zero....fattens up the sound. I kinda miss my MP1 too. Ahh, the 90's.

If you ever decide to relive that era, I've got a pair of ADA vertical 2x12 cabs for you.  Stereo FTW.  :-)
Function f(x)
Follow me on Instagram as pickdropper

AllenM

Had a MP1 that I sent to Voodoo Amp for mods.. finally sold it a few years back.. still have an ADA Ampulator. Also sitting on a Carvin Quad X preamp (all tbe) and an original SansAmp rackmount.. maybe time to list some stuff on eBay :)

AllenM

atreidesheir

I miss my mp-1, but it was fragile.  Needed a technician's attentions every 40-50 hours of playing time.
A Gorilla was my guitar teaching amp for several years.  It was my companion for thousands of hours of scales and Beatles chords.   We just grew apart... :'(
Technically we are all half-centaur. - Nick Offerman

madbean

Quote from: pickdropper on January 16, 2014, 05:57:24 PM

Quote from: madbean on January 16, 2014, 05:22:20 PM

If you ever decide to relive that era, I've got a pair of ADA vertical 2x12 cabs for you.  Stereo FTW.  :-)

OMG the memories. Not, I ran mine through Bandit 112. So there!

Speaking of the Bandit 112,....(sorry I am hijacking)

jkokura

I used to run my Bandit as an amplifier for my Discman sometimes...

Jacob
JMK Pedals - Custom Pedal Creations
JMK PCBs *New Website*
pedal company - youtube - facebook - Used Pedals

GermanCdn

I used my Bandit to DJ Christmas parties.  Might sound like a slam, but it actually goes to credit how clean the clean channel actually was on that thing.  Oh, how I miss it.  No, wait, I don't.  Tubes > Transtubes any day.
The only known cure in the world for GAS is death.  That's my story, and I'm sticking to it.

jkokura

I don't really miss the amp, I miss the times I had playing through it. Ah, the good old days...

Jacob
JMK Pedals - Custom Pedal Creations
JMK PCBs *New Website*
pedal company - youtube - facebook - Used Pedals

GermanCdn

Quote from: jkokura on January 16, 2014, 10:38:16 PM
I don't really miss the amp, I miss the times I had playing through it. Ah, the good old days...

Jacob

+1  Back in the days when I didn't have car payments, mortgage payments, or a job, and all I wanted to do was rock and, well, things that come with writing songs for girls.  Well, the second half of that equation still stands true....
The only known cure in the world for GAS is death.  That's my story, and I'm sticking to it.

gordo

I just miss my hair...
Gordy Power
How loud is too loud?  What?

neve1272

Quote from: gordo on January 17, 2014, 04:11:29 AM
I just miss my hair...

yeah i really lol when i read that
Kip