News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

Trade for a 'Broken' Kingslayer?

Started by PhiloB, January 14, 2014, 02:16:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

PhiloB

Thanks, I had assumed that the power would no long move across the diode.

rullywowr

Diodes can fail open or closed, many times closed.  :)

DIY Guitar Pedal PCB projects!

Govmnt_Lacky

Quote from: midwayfair on January 14, 2014, 07:11:13 PM
Quote from: Govmnt_Lacky on January 14, 2014, 06:56:23 PM
If they plugged in a PS that was providing anything over 10.0000000000001VDC then that is probably a goner!  :-\

This made me lol.

I really hate that chip.

Yeah.... But, whats worse is the fact that....

I have about 30 of them here that are collecting dust! Cant sell them off as no one would use/need them  :-\

Not worth the eBay hassle either  :-[

PhiloB

Is the only difference between the sunking and Kingslayer the diode toggle and OD toggle?

raulduke

No there are quite considerable differences.

Have a look at the schematics.

In short though, the sun king is a Klon clone, the kingslayer is mad beans take on the Klon concept and functionality.

If the guy told you it was a kingslayer he has mislead you somewhat.

PhiloB

He told me it was a Klon clone and he just bought it.  I assumed he meant he bought it new.  Made the next logical assumption that it was a Kingslayer because the Sunking PCBs are no longer being sold.  You know what they say when you assume you make an 'ass' out if 'u' and 'me'.

PhiloB

He had said it was Madbean.  Btw, I replaced the diode.  Am I correct in thinking that the voltage will not travel through the circuit if the IC is blow.  I am getting voltage at the 9v+ pad on the pcb but no where else.

rullywowr

A sunking is actual pretty desirable because it's out of production, it's a direct klon clone, and it's a madbean board. :)

Did you check the cathode (stripe side) voltage at D5?  You should be seeing something like 17-18v. If not, the charge pump is probably shot. If so you should replace it with a TC1044scpa.

If the IC is blown you should still see voltages on the board unless there is another direct short somewhere which in that case something would be hot and the power supply would be crying (or resetting if it has protection).

Let us know how you make out.

PhiloB

I replaced the MAX with the TC1044SPCA.  Then started smelling melting electronics.  Who ever had assembled the pedal originally had the IC2 and IC3 mixed up!  I put in the old MAX in the correct place in addition to replacing the Zener and ...
Functioning Sunking running at 17+ volts!!
Thanks for all your help guys!

rullywowr

Quote from: PhiloB on January 18, 2014, 11:50:10 PM
I replaced the MAX with the TC1044SPCA.  Then started smelling melting electronics.  Who ever had assembled the pedal originally had the IC2 and IC3 mixed up!  I put in the old MAX in the correct place in addition to replacing the Zener and ...
Functioning Sunking running at 17+ volts!!
Thanks for all your help guys!
That's great!  You let the "smoke out" lol.  Surprising the chips were mixed up because the wiring and everything else looks so clean. Psyched you got it up and running.

PhiloB