News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

painting enclosures

Started by sp3k, January 13, 2014, 03:28:11 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

sp3k

So, I've never painted an enclosure before, and I want my pedals to start looking a bit more pro, so this seams the way to go.

I tried to find guides online, but had no luck. Do you guys have some links for me? I know I can just spray paint them with those car sprays, is powder coating a different method? are there others?

midwayfair

Powder coat is a powder that you spray onto the enclosure and then bake on. It's exceptionally durable. A powder coat setup will run you about $150 for an inexpensive one, though you will also need an air compressor. And it's extremely messy. Unless you're doing tons and tons of enclosures, consider just picking them up from Pedal Parts Plus (if you're in the U.S.) or even direct from Hammond Manufacturing. PPP does great work, and the Hammond finishes are extremely durable if not particularly exciting as far as colors go.

jkokura

I'll echo what Jon said. PPP is the place to go. If you haven't seen the PPP enclosure thread around here, check that out. The colours are awesome.

If you're really into the DIY spirit, the home powdercoat setup is becoming more popular. I believe we'd need to know where you're located in order to point you in the right direction.

Jacob
JMK Pedals - Custom Pedal Creations
JMK PCBs *New Website*
pedal company - youtube - facebook - Used Pedals

sp3k

So, after posting, I realized I hadn't search the first place I should, youtube  :-[

I found this video, http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9gxWoCGR5EY , I think he's a member here. For now Powder coating it's not for me, I think my dad has most of the equipment (he used to have a metal shop), but I would hate to have to go all the way over there every time I need to paint, I'm that lazy... Buying the stuff it's not in the picture, for now... I might try to paint one or two one these days.

I'm going to try and spray paint a few enclosures. It seams easy and not that messy.
I found this video, http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_wPR55HoN_M , that made it a lot more clear for me. One doubt I have, if I don't want an enclosure white, do I just first paint it white, to prime it, and then put a color on top of that?

I'm guessing I can't get those cool sparkle finishes with spray, yes?

Thanks for the help guys!   

jkokura

I suggest if you're going to use the spray paint method you look at a getting an 'aluminum etching' primer. Basically, it's a primer coat, usually grey, that really helps the paint stick to the enclosure.

Spray painting takes time, patience, and is hard work to get it really good. Have fun!

Jacob
JMK Pedals - Custom Pedal Creations
JMK PCBs *New Website*
pedal company - youtube - facebook - Used Pedals

rullywowr

Quote from: midwayfair on January 13, 2014, 03:33:40 PM
Powder coat is a powder that you spray onto the enclosure and then bake on. It's exceptionally durable. A powder coat setup will run you about $150 for an inexpensive one, though you will also need an air compressor. And it's extremely messy. Unless you're doing tons and tons of enclosures, consider just picking them up from Pedal Parts Plus (if you're in the U.S.) or even direct from Hammond Manufacturing. PPP does great work, and the Hammond finishes are extremely durable if not particularly exciting as far as colors go.

While yes, it is assuredly easier to get prepainted enclosures (PPP is great for this) I would have to disagree that powdercoating is "extremely messy."  In fact, it is a lot less messy than painting with conventional paint.  While you are spraying powder, it is much less offensive than spraying from a rattle can.  Just as if you were spraying paint, you can do it outside or inside with a makeshift spray booth (a little cardboard and duct tape works great).  Unlike paint, any overspray will wipe off/blow off/or vacuum up as it is only powder.  There are no obnoxious fumes and a little powder goes a long way.  An entry level gun and used toaster oven can be had for under $100.  I got my new Eastwood gun setup on eBay for $69.00 and a toaster oven used for $10.  You will need an air compressor but even the smallest one will do as the pressure needed is in the neighborhood of 5psi.  You can use sparkle clear coats, sparkle base coats, or add heat-resistant sparkles into the mixture.  There are some really cool dormant and illusion colors as well.  I recommend the Eastwood entry level gun and I really like the powder selections from www.columbiacoatings.com 

Wipe surface with acetone, hook some wire through it, spray, bake for 15-20 minutes at 385-400F and when it is cooled you are done.  No curing time, no mess, no fumes.  Don't be scared of getting into it if you think you will be using it regularly.  Of course, if you are just planning on doing a few builds then ordering from PPP would be the wise decision.  They also offer screen printing and drilling services which are just great as you can see on some of JMK's great builds.

DIY Guitar Pedal PCB projects!

DutchMF

Jacob is right, spraypaint is difficult! But it is possible to get some good results. With the cans I use (Motip Carat) I found that using a primer is not absolutely neccesary, but it does really improve results. I use cans from the same manufacturer/series for primer, color and clear coats to avoid any compatibility issues. Motip offers some nice metalics and sparkles, so you could achieve those without getting into powder coating. One important piece of advice: apply paint in a lot of thin layers, instead of 1 thick one to prevent runners and improve finish quality!!

Paul
"If you can't stand the heat, stay away from the soldering iron!"

sp3k

Thanks for all the comments!

After watching this video, http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e2X_HL-4F90&list=PLPIciVv1VfK3youdmzItb6wEzQXormgts , I don't really know if spraying is the best way for me, seems to take SO much time and it really looks like you have really careful. It just seams like I would have to do a lot of them before getting a good finish...
Powder coating on the other hand looks easier and less time consuming.
Do any of you guys buy the stuff you need for powder coating online in Europe?

Thanks again, I know I don't post much, but I'm a major lurker around here and this has became by far my favorite diy forum!

muddyfox

Yeah, I'd also ne interested in powdercoating hardware sources in europe. I found some in uk a while back but the shipping was prohibitively expensive.

Sent from my C6903 using Tapatalk