News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

NGD! ('TronCaster) CLIP Added!

Started by GrindCustoms, January 11, 2014, 04:02:40 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

GrindCustoms

Hi guys, i've actually finished a personnal project!

I present you the 'TronCaster!

Parts are from another Tele project that was a fail, it's ok, it was my first attempt at building something i did'nt knew shite about... back then.

Body was bought from Curt, it's made of pine, i had to adjust the pickup routing, some free hand routing with the Dremel and it was done. I got it in that light relic'd finish.

Neck is from the first Tele i got from the Simple Plan guy in a pedal exchange. RoadWorn series.

Hardware:
Kluson locking tuners
«Chopper» bridge, a Wilkinson with brass saddles that i also dremelized.

Electronics:
Gretsch Hi-Sensitive Filtertron
BKP 280K Volume/Tone pots
High Bleed Mod on volume, Mica cap and RN55D resistor for the sake of mojo.
22nf PIO Rusky cap for tone
Switchcraft jack.

This guitar have just changed my whole perception of gain toward pickup DC resistance output gives... with 4K7 output, this thing is fucking brutal.

I'm waiting after the real pickup that will go in there, custom made by McNelly Guitars in Canada with black cover and black pole pieces screws.

I now need another guitar with those type of pickups! :mrgreen:

Hope some of you enjoy! :)
Killing Unicorns, day after day...

Building a better world brick by brick:https://rebrickable.com/users/GrindingBricks/mocs/

selfdestroyer

I have heard nothing but good things about the Filtertron pickups. They looks awesome also, so thats a plus. Great job.

jkokura

JMK Pedals - Custom Pedal Creations
JMK PCBs *New Website*
pedal company - youtube - facebook - Used Pedals

alanp

IIRC, Malcolm Young uses a Filtertron.

That's a great lookin' gat there, Rej :)
"A man is not dead while his name is still spoken."
- Terry Pratchett
My OSHpark shared projects
My website

GrindCustoms

Thanks guys, having a great time with this new one, i had never really played filtertrons before, i'm now sold! :)

Here's a crap clip i did yesterday night, sorry for the playing, but the audio is acceptable.

Cheers!

Building a better world brick by brick:https://rebrickable.com/users/GrindingBricks/mocs/

selfdestroyer

Sounds great Rej. Might have to look at putting those in my project SG.

GrindCustoms

Quote from: selfdestroyer on January 12, 2014, 01:43:16 AM
Sounds great Rej. Might have to look at putting those in my project SG.

Thanks, pretty sure that would be badass! 8)

I bought that single pickup on the bay for 60$ plus 12$ shipping to CAN i think.. you can get sets for 130 shipped, wich is really not bad to me.

Cheers!

Rej

juansolo

My Powertron Plus equipped TVMaster should be returning soon with a new body (that isn't made from dark matter. 3lbs lighter and the correct shape).

Everyone should have a filtertron. Awesome pickups.
Gnomepage - DIY effects library & stuff in the Stompage bit
"I excite very large doom for days" - playpunk

GrindCustoms

Dang John!! That's a looker, i was thinking of getting another tele body made to have another twin pickup filtertron guitar... but a Jag shape is hot!

jkokura

My favorite part of that Jag is that the pickup selector and volume controls are in the correct places.

Jacob
JMK PCBs *New Website*

juansolo

Same on my Tele. It's wrong the other way as far as I'm concerned.

It's a proper trigger's broom guitar that one. It started life as a GFS thing. AndrewW who had it before me swapped the neck for a Fender one from a Classic 50's strat, made the awesome bakelite pickguard and fitted a load of Fender hardware. I swapped him a couple of pedals for it and swapped the bridge and re-routed it for the filtertron.

But it still weighed way more than it should and it bugged me that the top horn wasn't right. So WezV is currently making me a new body for it. 3lbs lighter than the old one and with two universal routs up front so I've got loads of future options with it (though it'll stay an Esquire for the time being). I keep mulling over the idea of three filtertrons (Mwaahahaha).

Once it's all done the only remaining pieces of the original guitar will be the strap buttons and ferrules ;)

jkokura

Quote from: juansolo on January 12, 2014, 04:53:03 PM
Same on my Tele. It's wrong the other way as far as I'm concerned.

In my opinion, the best spot for pickup switch is actually between the two controls, so it would go (from headstock side): Volume, Pickup Switch, Tone.

I can make do with the tone in the middle, but I'd prefer it on the end.

Jacob
JMK PCBs *New Website*

juansolo

GrindCustoms

Ordered a new bridge for it, Gotoh in black of course and a Graphtech Black Tusk XL nut too..  oh.. and another jack socket in black too, will complete the aesthetics.

I just don't like the brass barrel saddle, intonation is way to  random to my liking and she'll be tuned one and half step lower, need to have it dead on, part of the reason why i'm getting a new nut too.

Will have to put lots of playing into it to get the hardware distressed like the body and neck... lol

gordo

Jan Akkerman used filtertrons on his les pauls back in the 70's and although he's one of my fav players, I thought he was a whacko at the time.  I get it now and have been using a bunch of the GFS Liverpool 'trons lately.  That tele is a seriously cool take on the already cool Cabronita series of Fenders.  I love the fact it has no pickguard and a single pickup.  Kind of a "take no prisoners" attitude.

Nicely done.
Gordy Power
How loud is too loud?  What?