News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

Not a pedal - Another nixie clock build

Started by juansolo, January 08, 2014, 06:13:25 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

juansolo

Another kit from PVE, and no such problems with this one. It went together easily with no issues. This one is using IN-18 nixes (the other is IN-8-2), which are about the largest ones available.

Gnomepage - DIY effects library & stuff in the Stompage bit
"I excite very large doom for days" - playpunk

LaceSensor

edit - found it
ouch, they are spendy.
Look cool though!

davent

Those look great! Always been fascinated with them... maybe someday...

dave
"If you always do what you always did- you always get what you always got." - Unknown

If my photos are missing again... they're hosted by photobucket... and as of 06/2017 being held hostage... to be continued?

Ettore_M

Pure awesomeness!!  :o
I would love to build one too (The small one would be enough!  ;) ), but they are pretty expensive!  :-\

Well done, mate!  :)

Hector
" I would first try what I call The American Approach, which is simply this: "If X is good, then 2X simply HAS TO BE twice as good."  ;D "
- Culturejam

juansolo

http://www.pvelectronics.co.uk/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=18&products_id=51

That's the LTC kit for the IN-18 tubes. With case and tubes you're looking north of £330. Those nixies are REALLY expensive.

The QTC kit with IN-8-2 tubes and milled ali case roles in at around £170.

http://www.pvelectronics.co.uk/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=21&products_id=72

Awesome hypnotic things they are. The little one has strobing LEDs on it. They're optional on the big one and I found that when the novelty ran out on the little one I switched them off, so didn't bother this time.

mshuptar

rullywowr

I love Nixie tubes.  Nice job, these are really awesome.   :)

DIY Guitar Pedal PCB projects!

pickdropper

Sooooo jealous.

Great build, of course, but damn you.

Did I mention I was jealous?
Function f(x)
Follow me on Instagram as pickdropper

juansolo

Quote from: LaceSensor on January 08, 2014, 06:16:47 PM
edit - found it
ouch, they are spendy.
Look cool though!

Yeah, the tubes were only made for a short period in the 70's. I got that one because I knew he was about to run out of IN-18s and the only other place I could find with some was in the Ukraine. Once they're gone they're gone as they're essentially neon tubes so have mercury in them. They are vastly expensive for the big ones now.

Actually this isn't bad. Now I have the ability to test them, I might get a set and the next one I build will work out a bit cheaper! http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/IN-18-NIXIE-TUBES-NOS-6-pcs-/261291818215?pt=Vintage_Electronics_R2&hash=item3cd634bce7

His kits are quite reasonable though if you can source the tubes cheaper, and you don't have to use his boxes either (though the metal ones are really quite nice).

davent

"If you always do what you always did- you always get what you always got." - Unknown

If my photos are missing again... they're hosted by photobucket... and as of 06/2017 being held hostage... to be continued?

DutchMF

Love it, I want one!!! How's the lifespan of the tubes, any idea?

Paul
"If you can't stand the heat, stay away from the soldering iron!"

juansolo

Quote from: davent on January 08, 2014, 07:51:07 PM
This is what you need.

http://www.ebay.ca/itm/TECHNOLOGY-for-IN-18-NIXIE-TUBE-PRODUCTION-MATERIALS-equipment-/261172534593

Impressive! Not sure how you'd legally do it here though.

Quote from: DutchMF on January 08, 2014, 08:06:07 PM
Love it, I want one!!! How's the lifespan of the tubes, any idea?

Paul

Not a clue. As long as they don't leak, I suppose they'll just keep on trucking.

bcalla

You're killing me...
I want to build one but I have been holding off based on the cost.  Your pictures ore NOT helping my resolve.

juansolo

I held off about 3 years before the first ;) They are brilliant nerdy things. I want to build a super small one next...

jubal81

Beautiful build. I just looooove those things.

I spent a month reading up on them at looking at Nixie Pron after seeing this on instructables:

"If you put all the knobs on your amplifier on 10 you can get a much higher reaction-to-effort ratio with an electric guitar than you can with an acoustic."
- David Fair