News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

A better Solder Sucker?

Started by selfdestroyer, January 08, 2014, 09:50:54 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

selfdestroyer

I was looking for a new solder sucker and stumbled across this one. The ENGINEER SS-02 Solder Sucker. The price is a bit steep but if it will do a better job on fabbed PCBS I would gladly pay it. Im using a standard teflon tip sucker that I have had for years and thought it was time for a new one.

Review:
http://runawaybrainz.blogspot.com.br/2014/01/engineer-ss-02-solder-sucker-picture.html

Anyone have any experience with these or the likes of?

raulduke

Oooh looks nice.

A good solder sucker is a pretty vital bit of kit, so buying a good one is worthwhile.

flanagan0718

This is the one I use. I've had it for a few years now. Works great! They recently came out with a smaller one, Thinking about grabbing one. This one cost me like $15. I had a cheapo from EBAY but that one was terrible. I suggest a slodapult. They Rule!!!

pickdropper

Yeah, I use a Soldapult as well.  After getting it, I cursed myself for using the lousy Radio Shack one for so long.

I still want a desolderjng station, though.  :-)
Function f(x)
Follow me on Instagram as pickdropper

rullywowr

That does seem to be the king of the heap of manual solder suckers!

My Hakko 472D with pencil handpeice has changed my life.  Makes it super easy to replace components, pots, swap parts out, clean solder out of holes, etc.  Once you get/use one, you will wonder why you didn't get one sooner!  I use it pretty much every time I use my regular iron.

DIY Guitar Pedal PCB projects!

culturejam

Wow, that one looks pretty badass. I had a regular manual sucker that I used for a long time. I got really good at desoldering 2-sided boards, but it was a bit of a chore. If I didn't have a Hakko 808 desoldering gun, I would totally get the one you posted.
Partner and Product Developer at Function f(x).
My Personal Site with Effects Projects

raulduke

I've got pretty good with my manual Weller tool.

Kind of an essential skill really, when inevitably boll*cksing something up in a build!

GermanCdn

Yeah, I've got a couple of Soldapults as well.  A little big for the build desk, but they do an awesome job.  I've also got a Soldapult built into a soldering iron, but it runs off 220V, so I  have to break out the good old transformer for that, and it's simply not worth the effort. 
The only known cure in the world for GAS is death.  That's my story, and I'm sticking to it.

BuGG

Another vote for the Soldapullt, been using them at work for years along with good ole fashioned desoldering wick (my personal favorite).

Every once in a while they get the bright idea to upgrade to something "better" which never works anywhere near as good.    I don't care for desoldering irons myself, maybe it's just because I've never gotten good with em.

GeorgeFormanGrill

Hi All:

After reading so many recommendations, I picked up this Soldapullt pump online. It just came in the mail and it is enormous! I take it I got the wrong kind?

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B006GOKVKI/ref=pe_385040_30332190_TE_3p_M3T1_ST1_dp_1

Is there a smaller, more manageable Soldapullt pump or are they all really big?

Thanks,
George

mattlee0037

I thought the same thing when I got mine. Maybe there's a smaller one but it works so well I don't care much

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

pickdropper

There are smaller Soldapults that are also a bit less expensive.  They aren't THAT much smaller and you probably get a but better suction with the larger one.
Function f(x)
Follow me on Instagram as pickdropper

Beedoola

Quote from: flanagan0718 on January 08, 2014, 01:51:12 PM
This is the one I use. I've had it for a few years now. Works great! They recently came out with a smaller one, Thinking about grabbing one. This one cost me like $15. I had a cheapo from EBAY but that one was terrible. I suggest a slodapult. They Rule!!!

Ya, I use that one. My local Electronics shop has then for like $5! I was kind of puzzled by the price and thought it was a typo.

Its big but works way better than the Radioshack POS I was using.

The one in the OP though looks nice - size and powerful.

slacker775

I originally tried some rat shack desoldering braid and quickly realized that's only for masochists.  Then I was using a solder sucker pump thing which have me decent results most of the time so on some occasions it just didn't want to work for nothing.   I recently got a desoldering iron/pump thing and it seems to work a bit better.  I was able to desolder a dpdt switch off a pcb with too much fuss.   

davent

Guys, Adafruit has the ENGINEER SS-02 Solder Sucker for $17.50, even with shipping to Canada, if it's as good as they say, a bargain!

http://www.adafruit.com/product/1597

dave
"If you always do what you always did- you always get what you always got." - Unknown

If my photos are missing again... they're hosted by photobucket... and as of 06/2017 being held hostage... to be continued?