News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

SMT equivelant / replacement for the 2n5457?

Started by chromesphere, January 07, 2014, 10:45:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

chromesphere

Hey guys, looking at getting some 2n5457 as the j201 cant be used interchangeably with the 2n5457 and some builds require them. Anyone know of a 'equivalent' or direct replacement for the 2n5457?  As with the j201 -> mmbfj201 being the SMT version.  Is there such a thing for the 2n5457?
Thanks for any help, I cant seem to find anything online.
Paul
Pedal Parts Shop              Youtube

pickdropper

Function f(x)
Follow me on Instagram as pickdropper

chromesphere

lol, I searched for a lot things, cant believe it didn't actually search for that... (facepalm)... Thanks mate :D

jubal81

While on the subject, what about an SMD equivalent to 2SK170?
"If you put all the knobs on your amplifier on 10 you can get a much higher reaction-to-effort ratio with an electric guitar than you can with an acoustic."
- David Fair

pickdropper

Quote from: jubal81 on January 07, 2014, 11:35:34 PM
While on the subject, what about an SMD equivalent to 2SK170?

I haven't checked that one.  I will look into that.

Btw, apparently Central Semi makes through-hole 2n5457s.  They are pricey at Mouser, but maybe they will come down.
Function f(x)

chromesphere

Awesome!  Looking into the price of the SMT 2n5457...their pricey...unless you buy 10,000 of em :D

chromesphere

I have requested samples from central semiconductor for the throughhole 2n5457.  Might end up being a PITA.  Time will tell, assuming they are willing to send them of course...
I've never tested a jfet before believe it or not, just ran on blind luck.  Pretty sure I have Jacobs jfet tester around.  I'll test these out when / if they arrive and let you know how I go, or whatever they respond with.  Its a bit strange though, mouser seems to be the only one that has them...

pickdropper

Quote from: chromesphere on January 08, 2014, 12:46:31 AM
Awesome!  Looking into the price of the SMT 2n5457...their pricey...unless you buy 10,000 of em :D

They usually come down to about 15 cents if you buy 100 or so.  Were you looking for a lower price than that?
Function f(x)

chromesphere

I had a sniff around and the only sort of pricey I could find for anything near 15c each where in reels.  Where did you get 15c each per 100?  That's probably worthwhile the trouble considering most throughhole 2n5457's are currently running at 50-60c each.

jubal81

In small quantities, they cost about the same as the through-hole 5457s at Small Bear.
I've been thinking about paralleling TH & SMD for JFETs on future layouts so either could be used.
"If you put all the knobs on your amplifier on 10 you can get a much higher reaction-to-effort ratio with an electric guitar than you can with an acoustic."
- David Fair

jubal81

Quote from: chromesphere on January 08, 2014, 12:59:02 AM
I had a sniff around and the only sort of pricey I could find for anything near 15c each where in reels.  Where did you get 15c each per 100?  That's probably worthwhile the trouble considering most throughhole 2n5457's are currently running at 50-60c each.

Mouser.

http://www.mouser.com/ProductDetail/Fairchild-Semiconductor/MMBF5457/?qs=%2fha2pyFadugtgxMwpDhz9PSUu1ugkRVkm1P20dwMrzY%3d
- David Fair

chromesphere

100 @ 20c is getting better.  I'm just calculating the effort involved soldering a converter board with these, imo they have to be quite a bit cheaper to justify the extra work.

jkokura

I think when you hit the 2000 range on those Through holes  from Mouser you're starting to look at ok prices. I know .48 might not seem like ok prices, but compared to $1.06 a piece?!?

I'm sure we could easily get up a group buy on 2000 of those through hole type no problem...

Jacob
JMK Pedals - Custom Pedal Creations
JMK PCBs *New Website*
pedal company - youtube - facebook - Used Pedals

pickdropper

When they are in stock, I'll throw a few of them in my Mouser cart.  We should make sure they function the same as the Fairchild before we buy a bunch.
Function f(x)

chromesphere

How does the datasheet stack up?  I know its only a datasheet, but its a start...I ask because I know absolutely nothing about fets :)

http://www.centralsemi.com/PDFs/products/2N5457-5459.PDF