News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

I found a cool source for amp chassis.

Started by haveyouseenhim, January 03, 2014, 10:13:48 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

haveyouseenhim

I just picked up some Russian surplus ammunition and I was thinking about what to do with the metal can it came in.
BOOM.... Amp chassis. I bet if you found a place that sells surplus ammo you could get it for free or next to nothing.
It's from some surplus 7.62x54R. They call it a spam can.

Anybody have any ideas for other amp chassis?

I'm sorry sir, we only have the regular ohms

selfdestroyer

That will be awesome. I demand progress photos lol :)

What circuit you thinking of using in there?

jubal81

That's a great idea. Are you planning on a Military theme for the whole build?
"If you put all the knobs on your amplifier on 10 you can get a much higher reaction-to-effort ratio with an electric guitar than you can with an acoustic."
- David Fair

madbean

haveyouseenhim

Quote from: jubal81 on January 04, 2014, 12:13:42 AM
That's a great idea. Are you planning on a Military theme for the whole build?

Ding ding ding. I was thinking of doing a Russian military theme.

I'm not sure what amp yet. Maybe a firefly.

derevaun

Russian submini 6B17B tubes sprang to mind, though there's probably room in there for a firefly PCB. Sweet box either way! Ima ask about it next time I go to get Makarov ammo.

culturejam

A Sovtek MIG 50 would be ideal, but the ammo box might be a bit too small for that circuit.

Like Brian suggested, a Champ would be perfect. But you have to call it the Komrade Champovitch.  ;D
Partner and Product Developer at Function f(x).
My Personal Site with Effects Projects

pickdropper

It's kind of the shape of a 1590a. 

Instead of an amp, I think you just build a HUGE pedal with it, including appropriately scaled knobs and foot switch.  ;D
Function f(x)
Follow me on Instagram as pickdropper

haveyouseenhim

Quote from: pickdropper on January 05, 2014, 12:38:02 AM

Instead of an amp, I think you just build a HUGE pedal with it, including appropriately scaled knobs and foot switch.  ;D

That sounds kinda fun. Maybe If I get another I'll give it a shot. I'd have to get the knobs 3D printed and use a cut off soup can as the foot switch.  I wonder how I could make giant jacks?   :o ;D

pickdropper

Quote from: haveyouseenhim on January 05, 2014, 01:56:54 AM
Quote from: pickdropper on January 05, 2014, 12:38:02 AM

That sounds kinda fun. Maybe If I get another I'll give it a shot. I'd have to get the knobs 3D printed and use a cut off soup can as the foot switch.  I wonder how I could make giant jacks?   :o ;D

Mortar shells.   ;D
Function f(x)
Follow me on Instagram as pickdropper

haveyouseenhim

Quote from: pickdropper on January 05, 2014, 06:18:56 AM
Mortar shells.   ;D

I bet they have some demilitarized 100mm shells at the military surplus depot down the road.  They have a huge military rocket outside. They even have an old radar console salvaged from a battle ship. I need to stop by there tomorrow on the way to the range and get some ideas.