News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

Pork Barrel Mods...deeper, wetter, for bass

Started by rude, January 03, 2014, 12:30:00 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

rude

I am building a few pork barrels. Someone requested that I make one suited for bass. There are a few things I want to try with these boards.

1. The LFO mod, I like the greater depth but with the LFO indicator I've found that the sound is a bit choppy...I'm not sure how to describe it but it's not as smooth as without the LFO indicator. So I just omitted R39 and I have the depth without the choppiness. I also tried putting a 22k resistor in R39...similar effect to omitting the resistor. Any recommendations for getting a deeper, smooth chorus...omitting R39, replacing it with a larger resistor value?

2. I took a look at the tone pad mods. I want to do the wet bass mod but I don't want to add a switch. I want it to be wet all the time the pedal is engaged. The mod shows two capacitors in parallel. With a switch in series with one of the capacitors. I thought I could just add the value of the capacitors and the sum would be the value capacitor I want...but that would give me a .033 uF capacitor which is what the tonepad build guide calls for...so that can't be right. Anyone know how to hardwire the tonepad wet bass mod without the switch?

http://www.tonepad.com/getFile.asp?id=101

DutchMF

The trick with the Tonepad Wet Bass mod is to lower the value of the cap by opening the switch. When the switch is closed, you get the 'normal' value, 33n, and thus the standard tone. If you want to do this permanently, without the switch, just replace C14 (that's C17 on the PB) with a lower value cap. You might want to socket it and play around with values to see what is best for you.

Paul
"If you can't stand the heat, stay away from the soldering iron!"

rude

Thanks Paul, I socketed C17 and tried a .012 uF capacitor and it sounds great. Thanks for the information about how the wet mod works...my circuits knowledge is rusty and developing.

I'm still playing around with the depth. Can someone explain what R39 does and how it relates to the depth? Or, looking at the tone pad chorus intensity mod I could lower C18 (in the PB) to get deeper intensity. Any recommendations for increasing the depth of the pork barrel?