News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

Screwdriver???

Started by highway jones, March 07, 2011, 01:39:29 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

highway jones

I'm surprised this has not come up.  I would like something a little different from a fuzz and OD and this might fit the bill...especially if it does Zeppelin tones as good as they say.

redbean

Something like Fuller's Soulbender, or the the "faithful reproduction of the fabled 3 germanium Sola Sound Tone Bender MKII Professional used by Jimmy Page and Jeff Beck" clone (Stone Bender MKII Pro) by ThroBak Electronics?:
http://gundrymedia.typepad.com/throbak_electronics/2006/11/stone_bender_mk.html

es là-bas!!

jkokura

Quote from: redbean on March 07, 2011, 03:01:22 AM
Something like Fuller's Soulbender, or the the "faithful reproduction of the fabled 3 germanium Sola Sound Tone Bender MKII Professional used by Jimmy Page and Jeff Beck" clone (Stone Bender MKII Pro) by ThroBak Electronics?:

That's the pastyface project, a soulbender. The screwdriver is definitely different.

To the OP, the schem is on FSB, it's possible that I might be trying my hand at that one soon.

Jacob
JMK Pedals - Custom Pedal Creations
JMK PCBs *New Website*
pedal company - youtube - facebook - Used Pedals

highway jones

I have a vero layout from fsb but the offboard wiring isn't ideal as all the pot leads are not located in a single general area.  With 5 or 6 pots that can get messy awfully fast.

Yeah, the screwdriver is  different from tonebenders and appears be an incredible stack mate with other ODs.

bigmufffuzzwizz

Quote from: redbean on March 07, 2011, 03:01:22 AM

Isn't that what the BYOC 2 knob MKII clone is?
Owner and operator of Magic Pedals

stevewire

Not to draw attention away from here, but guitarpcb.com offers a board for a Tone Bender build.  The schematic is almost exact to the Sola Sound Tone Bender MKII Professional except for a trimmer for bias, 1m resistor at the input and a 1N4001 at the power input.

If done right I would imagine this would be the way to go for those early Page and Beck tones.  A Telecaster might help also.

You could possibley get this together cheaper than the BYOC, plus cutomize to your own tastes.

bigmufffuzzwizz

Quote from: stevewire on March 07, 2011, 08:31:11 PM
You could possibley get this together cheaper than the BYOC, plus cutomize to your own tastes.

Yea that kit set me back a good hundred bucks. It sounds awesome but i would have to agree the guitarpcb board would be a much cheaper alternative/more customizable. BYOC just makes it so easy.

bigmufffuzzwizz

ibodog

Quote from: bigmufffuzzwizz on March 08, 2011, 11:36:36 PM
this what you guys talking about?
http://www.aronnelson.com/gallery/main.php/v/ibodog/od/screw+driver+vero+verified+v1_0.gif.html
I had an actual Screw Driver when I did that vero and the clone I built sounded just like the original when I A/B'd them.  The layout says Screw Driver-ish because Skreddy gets mad if you just call it a Screw Driver.  ::)

madbean

I have a layout for this. When I have time to build it up, I'll be happy to post it in the Extra Projects section. No promises on making any boards, but maybe.

bigmufffuzzwizz

Quote from: ibodog on March 10, 2011, 02:32:13 AM
I had an actual Screw Driver when I did that vero and the clone I built sounded just like the original when I A/B'd them.  The layout says Screw Driver-ish because Skreddy gets mad if you just call it a Screw Driver.  ::)

Thats awesome. I went through your folder and saved lots of goodies!  ;D ;D
Thanks for having so many wonderful projects available. Between you and Dragonfly's layouts, I believe I have more than enough to keep myself busy for the next year or two!

highway jones

Nice work ibodog.  You managed to keep the offboard wiring clean.....something that troubles me the most.

I gave up etching for vero a while back.  If anyone etches a board from Brian's layout I will pay $10 for a board for myself. 

bigmufffuzzwizz

Quote from: highway jones on March 10, 2011, 12:55:26 PM
I gave up etching for vero a while back.  If anyone etches a board from Brian's layout I will pay $10 for a board for myself. 

You don't etch when working with vero board. Really simple after a little practice.

aziltz

i think he meant he gave up on etching, and is using vero instead.

I'll probably do a run of Screwdriver boards when the layout is up, as well as another run of Formula #5 and possibly WIIO boards.