News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

Triple Wretch

Started by billstein, December 29, 2013, 04:16:42 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

billstein

Chi-Boy's T-Wrex. Everything is stock but the boost section. I put a Thunderpuss in there instead.
I etched the face plate using trying to get it as close to Wampler's pedal as I could. I also and tinned part of it while leaving the name copper. It is painted with a transparent auto paint. The photo doesn't capture how nice it is. It looks like it's been anodized. Hopefully it will be durable.

jimilee

That's purty, I'm gonna need an audio demo.  :P
Pedal building is like the opposite of sex.  All the fun stuff happens before you get in the box.

jkokura

That's pretty rad. My linear brain wants the bypass switch to be on the right and the boost switch on the left, but I like it as is also. How's the noise/fizz level?

Jacob
JMK Pedals - Custom Pedal Creations
JMK PCBs *New Website*
pedal company - youtube - facebook - Used Pedals

rullywowr

That is one solid looking build!  Love the faceplate and neatness of the wiring.  Hate to be the one that finds the fly in the soup but perhaps you meant to spell "distortion" that way?

DIY Guitar Pedal PCB projects!

lincolnic

Quote from: rullywowr on December 29, 2013, 04:51:50 AM
That is one solid looking build!  Love the faceplate and neatness of the wiring.  Hate to be the one that finds the fly in the soup but perhaps you meant to spell "distortion" that way?

It's not a typo, the word just got distorted.

But yeah, this is a beautiful build.

rullywowr

Quote from: lincolnic on December 29, 2013, 04:57:18 AM

It's not a typo, the word just got distorted.

But yeah, this is a beautiful build.

That's awesome. :)

It really looks great!  Love the two tone faceplate.

billstein

Quote from: jkokura on December 29, 2013, 04:51:03 AM
That's pretty rad. My linear brain wants the bypass switch to be on the right and the boost switch on the left, but I like it as is also. How's the noise/fizz level?

Jacob

I wish I had played with it a bit more before I boxed it. I think the boost should have been after the distortion. The reason I did it this way is because Wampler's Triple Wreck is like this. On the front of the box the boost is on the right and the bypass on the left. The boost in front doesn't add any volume, just a bit more sustain.

The fizz isn't to bad on this. It does get flabby with the bass past 9-10 o'clock. If you like heavier stuff this is a good pedal for it. I'll have to A-B it with the Chunk Chunk and see which one wins.

billstein

Quote from: rullywowr on December 29, 2013, 04:51:50 AM

No, that's the way all the cool kids are spelling it today.  ;D

Can't believe I did that. I'm going to consider that it adds character until I can be bothered to correct it. But after all that wiring I'm in no hurry to change anything on this. So, Distorition it is.

rullywowr

Man, it adds character!  Seriously great job, looks stunning and I bet sounds freakin wicked.

I would have to agree that the boost is perhaps more useful after just because the circuit has so much ridiculous gain as it is.

wolfingsworth

That is just one gorgeous build man! I really like your style.

jimilee

Little desoldering on the stomp boards and you'd be able to change the order right? The whole build is righteous, little desoldering braid and you're golden.
Pedal building is like the opposite of sex.  All the fun stuff happens before you get in the box.

billstein

Quote from: jimilee on December 29, 2013, 06:03:02 AM
Little desoldering on the stomp boards and you'd be able to change the order right? The whole build is righteous, little desoldering braid and you're golden.

You're right Jimi. When I can work up the energy to tear into those wires again I will flip them.

m-Kresol

That pedal looks great and the distorition is a feature not a bug, that's what I'm always saying.
As I'm rather new to the whole topic of DIY pedals, is there a good guide on faceplate etching?
I build pedals to hide my lousy playing.

My projects are labeled Quantum Effects. My shared OSH park projects: https://oshpark.com/profiles/m-Kresol
My build docs and tutorials

pickdropper

That's a cool build, Bill.  I really like the faceplate on that.  Also, the combination of black and the red enclosure look really good together.

The only bit of advice I'd offer is that you can get a smaller washer for the toggle switch from PPP.  With the smaller one, you won't block any of the text.
Function f(x)
Follow me on Instagram as pickdropper

billstein

Quote from: pickdropper on December 29, 2013, 02:48:31 PM
That's a cool build, Bill.  I really like the faceplate on that.  Also, the combination of black and the red enclosure look really good together.

The only bit of advice I'd offer is that you can get a smaller washer for the toggle switch from PPP.  With the smaller one, you won't block any of the text.

The reason I used a bigger washer is because of a mistake. I drilled the hole to big. When I etch a new face plate to fix my spelling error  :( I'll drill the hole correctly and use a smaller washer. I made a lot of little mistakes on this one, fortunately they are all fairly easy to fix.