News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

New recording interface

Started by icecycle66, December 28, 2013, 04:30:50 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

icecycle66

My Faithful Fostex VF160 finally died.
Actually, just the cd drive died.   Either way I'm taking this as an opportunity to get a piece of gear. 

I've really narrowed it down to the Zoom R24.

Have any of you guys used the Zoom R16 or R24?

I've come to have great faith in your opinions.

culturejam

I just got an iRig Pro and love it.
Partner and Product Developer at Function f(x).
My Personal Site with Effects Projects

jimilee

Been using an iRig for years. I do have a firewire interface for my MAC though
Pedal building is like the opposite of sex.  All the fun stuff happens before you get in the box.

selfdestroyer

I just got a Focusrite Saffire Pro 24 FireWire Audio Interface last week and so far its been awesome. The preamps on this are great so far. I have used a condenser mic and a SM57 and it records great in to Logic Pro X. So far, I could not be happier.

madbean

I use an older TC Electronic firewire interface and Reaper.

Ettore_M

Quote from: selfdestroyer on December 28, 2013, 08:43:15 AM
I just got a Focusrite Saffire Pro 24 FireWire Audio Interface last week and so far its been awesome. The preamps on this are great so far. I have used a condenser mic and a SM57 and it records great in to Logic Pro X. So far, I could not be happier.
+1!

I have for the last couple years a Saffire 6 USB. It's an (now) old model, but these things are good! :)
Α friend of mine owns the Saffire Pro 40 and it's awesome. TOO much for my needs but great! :D

Hector
" I would first try what I call The American Approach, which is simply this: "If X is good, then 2X simply HAS TO BE twice as good."  ;D "
- Culturejam

jkokura

I've not used the Zoom unit. I don't know why, or if it's justified, but I've always stayed far away from Zoom stuff. When they came out I thought they reeked of junk.

I use a Presonus Audiobox 44 VSL. I also use the Presonus DAW software, and I bought the Pro version of that. I love both.

Jacob
JMK Pedals - Custom Pedal Creations
JMK PCBs *New Website*
pedal company - youtube - facebook - Used Pedals

RobA

Depending on how many inputs you need and a bit on how much you are willing to put up with a slightly annoying configuration interface, the MOTU Microbook II does have a couple of useful features for the pedal building side of things. It's got an oscilloscope, FFT (spectrum) analyzer, phase analysis, X-Y plot, and signal generator built in to the control software. It's actually a pretty decent small USB audio interface as well. The oscilloscope is really only useful for audio and it seems to be AC coupled, so it's not a general purpose scope.

On the software side, I hate them all. I'm always very tempted to buy one of the Zoom/Tascam devices every time Musician's Friend puts them on the SDotD, which they do all the time. Actually, today's SDotD is one, http://www.musiciansfriend.com/stupid/?icid=204625. But I haven't quite convinced myself yet.
Affiliations: Music Unfolding (musicunfolding.com), software based effects and Rockā€¢it Frog (rock.it-frog.com), DIY effects (coming soon).

atreidesheir

Zoom has pretty good products today.
Technically we are all half-centaur. - Nick Offerman

rullywowr

The zoom is a solid piece. I also use reaper and love it. I use some presonus gear too- firestudio, audio box, mixlive, eureka pre.  Can't really go wrong with most interfaces these days.

DIY Guitar Pedal PCB projects!

icecycle66

Yeah, I have Reaper too.
I don't understand how people can mix, master, master and process stuff on their recorders. 
I need a multitrack device to record to then transport work to my PC for Reaper work.

This Zoom meets my needs,  I was just wondering if anybody had worked with the R24 and knew it had any tragic problems.

jtn191

+1 for Reaper. I've been using the TouchOSC app on my droid phone as a control surface. Very slick  8)