News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

Weener White Noise

Started by mattc, December 22, 2013, 07:06:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

mattc

Well, I'm now two for two.   I needed help with the Fat Pants (thanks to all who helped!), and now I need help with my Weener.  I really don't know how to troubleshoot this any farther, so any help would be greatly appreciated!

(1) Project Name:
Weener Wah (the original)

(2) General description of the problem:
When the effect is on, I get a faint amount of the guitar signal and a LOT of white noise.  When I move the wah pot, the white noise gets "wahed".  It seems like there is noise getting into the signal path instead of the guitar signal, but I don't know how to track that down.

(3) Steps that you have taken to try to resolve the issue:

I wasn't sure about the orientation of Q1, but changing that didn't change anything.  I've tried re-flowing the solder to all the joints.  I checked to make sure the Whipple is oriented correctly (which I think it is)

(4) List any substitutions you used for parts/values:

I didn't have a 22k for R3, so I used something around 24k.  I have a 22k coming in the mail...

Here's some pictures:

Top:

Bottom:

Bypass Switch:

Switch:

Freq Control:

Wah pot:

jimilee

Is everything grounded properly, how does the off board wiring look to the jacks and dc switch? The resistor value isn't going to change anything in this instance, I wouldn't bother with it. Do you have to turn your amp all the way up to hear the noise? Do you have bypass?
Pedal building is like the opposite of sex.  All the fun stuff happens before you get in the box.

rullywowr

Nevermind... You got it

DIY Guitar Pedal PCB projects!

mattc

Quote from: jimilee on December 22, 2013, 08:17:38 PM
Is everything grounded properly, how does the off board wiring look to the jacks and dc switch? The resistor value isn't going to change anything in this instance, I wouldn't bother with it. Do you have to turn your amp all the way up to hear the noise? Do you have bypass?

Bypass works fine.  I am getting power to the LED when I engage the effect, so I think that's all correct as well.

I am not sure what you mean about everything being grounded correctly?   

jimilee

Quote from: mattc on December 23, 2013, 08:51:13 PM
Quote from: jimilee on December 22, 2013, 08:17:38 PM

Bypass works fine.  I am getting power to the LED when I engage the effect, so I think that's all correct as well.

I am not sure what you mean about everything being grounded correctly?

Bt grounded properly, I mean is there a ground coming from the dc jack to the input jack to the stomp?
Pedal building is like the opposite of sex.  All the fun stuff happens before you get in the box.

rullywowr

Aside from everything being grounded properly, which is a good tip...have you used this inductor before? 

I racked my brain for so long one time on a wah project only to learn that the inductor was shea-doobied. 

DIY Guitar Pedal PCB projects!

mattc

I went back and reflowed the solder again.  I added grounds from the board to each jack.  I used the meter to verify that I have continuity from the power jack ground to the board and jacks.  Still no luck. 

When it is off I get signal.  When it is on I get hiss, that when I turn the wah pot, he hiss gets wah wahed.  The freq pot changes the frequency at which the the hiss is getting wah wahed.   The LED lights up when I turn on the effect.   Because the signal (hiss) is getting wah wahed, I think the inductor is working.   I have a red fasel here, but I ran out of de soldering braid, and (of course) RadioShack is sold out, so I haven't tried that.

Any other ideas?    Any other pictures I could take to help?

Thanks in advance!

jimilee

Audio probe to see where signal loss occurs would be next.

mattc

Can someone point me in the direction of a tutorial on how to use an audio probe to track down the issue?

mattc

Progress!!!!

When I put my finger on the following resistors I get a clean wah signal: 3, 6, 8, 11, 16.  When I take my finger off, no signal.

I reflowed all the joints on these resistors, but it only works when I put my finger across the joints on the left side (looking at the bottom of the board)

It also works when I put my finger across the bottom of the peak trimmer and Q1.

So I have a grounding issue?   I have no idea where to go from here, and my wife says she won't hold it the entire time I want to play....

midwayfair

Quote from: mattc on December 26, 2013, 09:13:41 PMmy wife says she won't hold it the entire time I want to play....

Dude, if your wife won't hold your weener....

*shakes head*