News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

Reeeveeerb?

Started by pryde, December 20, 2013, 10:34:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

pryde

So I am working through a project for a friend that wants a combo OD/delay/reverb build. Problem is he doesn't like the accutronics-based circuits that we have tried (i.e rub-a-dub or tenebrion reverbs). There is that modulated echo in them that he doesn't jive with. Short and long bricks both have it.

So...
Any other reverb projects worth trying out there that offers a smooth, non modulated reverb sound? Anything not accutronics based that sounds good?

Also: He actually he likes the "plate" verb on his Boss RV-5 pedal. How much of a PITA would it be to re-house it with off-board pots and true bypass into the combo build? Anyone done something similar?

Thanks for any insight   

culturejam

The older larger bricks don't have the modulation (at least not that I could hear). Maybe try one of those.
Partner and Product Developer at Function f(x).
My Personal Site with Effects Projects

pryde

Quote from: culturejam on December 20, 2013, 10:40:55 PM
The older larger bricks don't have the modulation (at least not that I could hear). Maybe try one of those.

Thanks. So do they also have more of a natural verb sound? The small bricks sound more like a washed-out delay with distinct echo repeats you can hear.

Also, the BTDR-1 has different pin configuration correct. Would require some off-board wiring to vero I suppose? Looks like they have 7 pins instead of 6?

LaceSensor

Just use a pcb or project that supports the old brick, there's a few options...

gordo

The FV-1 is a pretty cool plate sound...
Gordy Power
How loud is too loud?  What?

pryde

Obviously not to privy on reverb projects.

What pcb/project is available for the larger BTDR-1 brick?

What about this FV-1? surface mount chip I assume? Any current projects for it?

derevaun

Brian just posted notice of an upcoming etchable board for the FV-1: http://www.madbeanpedals.com/forum/index.php?topic=12287.msg117252#msg117252

There's also the SKRM daughterboard, which is FV-1 based: http://www.experimentalnoize.com/components/skrm-c8-xxx-reverb-effects-module/

chromesphere

Quote from: pryde on December 20, 2013, 10:34:40 PM
So I am working through a project for a friend that wants a combo OD/delay/reverb build. Problem is he doesn't like the accutronics-based circuits that we have tried (i.e rub-a-dub or tenebrion reverbs).

I stopped reading here :)
Seriously...ahem.  Did you try a long or short reverb?  I have heard that the short brick doesn't have audible repeats. Don't quote me on that though im pretty sure that was one users experience.
Pedal Parts Shop              Youtube

pryde

Well the rubadub has the short brick and the tenebrion has a long brick. Both of them have a characteristic slapback delay and modulation in them (although the long-brick is more pronounced of course. FWIW, I also built a rubadub with a medium brick once and it had the same issue/characteristic.

I really think it is just the nature of that brick but what do I know?

chromesphere

Quote from: pryde on December 21, 2013, 04:43:06 AM
I really think it is just the nature of that brick but what do I know?

More then me Pryde, ive never heard all 3 :D
Pedal Parts Shop              Youtube

juansolo

I know what you mean, but I've really never heard the modulation on a short brick rub-a-dub and I stand by it as being the nicest straight reverb out there. I've certainly not come across anything in the DIY domain better than the RaD and Tenebrion. If you want to reduce the modulation to a minimum, you've got to use the short bricks though. It's more apparent the longer the brick.

FWIW I've tried all bricks ;) I prefer the Med/Long with the more apparent modulation in the Tenebrion and the shorts for the Rub-a-Dubs.

This was recorded with a Rub-a-Dubs with a short brick.

Gnomepage - DIY effects library & stuff in the Stompage bit
"I excite very large doom for days" - playpunk

pryde

How about a short brick in the tenebrion?

It still should sound a bit more spacious than in the RaD because of the feedback loop maybe? Anyone do a short brick tenebrion?

Personally I like both the RaD and Tenebrion. It's just my friend is damn picky  :)

alanp

Maybe he needs an EHX Cathedral? (Although those are damn pricey.)
"A man is not dead while his name is still spoken."
- Terry Pratchett
My OSHpark shared projects
My website

pryde

I am actually thinking about re-housing some kind of pedal circuit in there for him. Space isn't an issue as it will go in a 1RU rack enclosure. That cheap biyang RV10 reverb actually isn't to bad sounding and might be a good one to transplant? Not sure though if it will be to much a pita.

juansolo

If he wants better than a brick, he's going to have to go full digital.
Gnomepage - DIY effects library & stuff in the Stompage bit
"I excite very large doom for days" - playpunk