News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

Oa126 source?

Started by Jmilla, December 19, 2013, 05:08:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jmilla

Anyone know of a source for a few of these?

playpunk

"my legend grows" - playpunk

chromesphere

Minifux doesn't have them. OA126's are becoming an extinct dinosaur.  I had a source a while a go.  I bought 1000's of them (probably) and sold them here on the forums.  Towards the end of the supply I realised my source was practically the only source. I had 200 left and have sold 150 of these at 2 bucks each (keeping the last 50 for myself).  Pretty pricey for a diode, but like I said, there just isn't any other source!  The only other place I've found has them is little diode.  Ask them for a price, but im fairly certain you'll be looking at about $2 each (plus shipping).  Yeah...their rare and pricey.

I would take jon's suggestion (from another post) and solder 2 oa1160's or 1n34a's in series.  Germanium diode with 0.6v drop and about $1.85 cheaper :D

Paul
Pedal Parts Shop              Youtube

Jmilla

Thanks guys I'll try that instead

Govmnt_Lacky

What is the "magical" property of the OA126? I have a metric crap ton of Germanium diodes available here and I could measure to see if they meet the magic spec. Is it FV drop? If so, what is it?

midwayfair

Quote from: Govmnt_Lacky on December 20, 2013, 06:21:34 PM
What is the "magical" property of the OA126? I have a metric crap ton of Germanium diodes available here and I could measure to see if they meet the magic spec. Is it FV drop? If so, what is it?

It's a germanium Zener diode. The Fv is .65 despite being germanium, and it also has some indeterminate reverse bias voltage that I haven' been able to measure (at any rate it exceeds 3v, which is all my multimeter can measure).

They also sound really frigging good imo. Soldering two germanium diodes in series for the same Fv is similar but doesn't quite have the same bite.

I bought an extra batch of about a hundred after I did the diode kits, some went to friends, and the rest will be pried from my cold dead hands. I don't know if my source was the same as Chromey's, but they are gone.

Govmnt_Lacky

Well.. if anyone can find a functional equivalent part number.... I can go digging.

Like I said, I have a TON of Germ diodes in multiple bins here. Could get lucky. Most are 1N-type but all are Germ

soldersqueeze

I've used them a couple of times in builds, and never really been able to tell the difference between these and 1n4148 silicons...
Sometimes having no ear for teh toanz can save you a lot of cash...

chromesphere

Quote from: midwayfair on December 20, 2013, 06:51:37 PM
It's a germanium Zener diode. The Fv is .65 despite being germanium, and it also has some indeterminate reverse bias voltage that I haven' been able to measure (at any rate it exceeds 3v, which is all my multimeter can measure).

That depends on the type of oa126 it is Jon.  There are actually a few available (well...no longer available :) ).  The codes look something like this: oa126-10 oa126-8 etc and the last number represents the reverse bias voltage I believe.  No chance your going to find out which one it is by looking at the diode either.  As you would know, all the package says is "oa126".

I agree with you soldersqueeze.  I must be tonally (intellectually) deaf.
Pedal Parts Shop              Youtube