News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

Big Cheese in a 1590B

Started by LaceSensor, December 18, 2013, 09:23:09 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

LaceSensor

Ok so this probably isnt breaking any new ground but I dont recall seeing a Lovetone Big Cheese clone in a 1590B
I also used for the first time the alpha 9mm trim pots.
Trying to eke out more of a mk2 Way Huge vibe than Mooer of course... !

The 9mm were first soldered to a peice of vero that I cut out so that the rotary would fit, then run flying leads to the main PCB.
The vero stacks under the main PCB, and I used nylon stand offs to keep them in place, seeing as they have no fixing nuts and would normally be PCB mounted. Everything is very solid and works great!

Also on this build I have again added the 1776 effects Relay Bypass board. Adds to the professional vibe a lot.
The last DIY thing was to use a peice of wire to dab some white paint into the trimmer detents to add a position marker.
From 6ft away you'd guess the white mark was done at the factory :)

Enjoy the pics :)

better gut shot

profile shot

m-Kresol

Nice one! I couldn't have told that the postion markers were added by hand. How did you do the top? Decal and gloss?
I build pedals to hide my lousy playing.

My projects are labeled Quantum Effects. My shared OSH park projects: https://oshpark.com/profiles/m-Kresol
My build docs and tutorials

LaceSensor

Quote from: m-Kresol on December 18, 2013, 11:47:56 AM
Nice one! I couldn't have told that the postion markers were added by hand. How did you do the top? Decal and gloss?

Toner transfer direct onto Hammond pre-finished case. No gloss. I cant be bothered with clear coat, it chips and is messy/smelly

muddyfox

Quote from: LaceSensor on December 18, 2013, 12:10:33 PM
Toner transfer direct onto Hammond pre-finished case.

Would this work with powdercoat as well?
How do you remove the toner without messing up the box?

LaceSensor

Quote from: muddyfox on December 18, 2013, 12:14:07 PM
Quote from: LaceSensor on December 18, 2013, 12:10:33 PM
Toner transfer direct onto Hammond pre-finished case.

Would this work with powdercoat as well?
How do you remove the toner without messing up the box?

These cases are powdercoated from what I am aware, and even if not, I have used cases from Bencoles powdercoated which it works fine too.
I use press-n-peel blue. Follow the manufacturers instructions but instead of copper PCB you are ironing onto the pedal...

muddyfox

Quote from: LaceSensor on December 18, 2013, 01:05:29 PM
I use press-n-peel blue. Follow the manufacturers instructions but instead of copper PCB you are ironing onto the pedal...

I have some PnP blue that I bought from a dealer in the UK (it is a bit closer to me than USA  :) ) but it came as single sheets without the original packaging so I have no idea as to how to remove it?
What little I used for enclosure etching came off with sanding paper but I wouldn't try it on a powdercoat.  ;D

LaceSensor

Do you mean the carrier material (blue stuff)?
If so you can remove that with isopropyl alcohol without smudging the toner.
If you use something more abrasive like acetone you'll also lift the laser toner or at least soften / smudge it

muddyfox

Well I used it for etching so afterwards I needed to scrape both off but in this particular case I'd just like to remove the blue stuff and leave the toner intact.

Luckily I have some 99% IPA so I'll give it a shot. Thanks!

LaceSensor

I find that depending on the viewing angle there can still be a blue-ish twinge but that may vary with your printer and various other factors.
Isopropanol will get the blue shit off the enclosure though which is the major hassle.

Bret608

I really like the Way Huge vibe! Nice idea with the pots and relay.

Thomas_H

DIY-PCBs and projects:

LaceSensor

Ettore_M

Lovely build!  Really pro! 
I just love the way you mounted the mini pots..  Really clever!

Hector
" I would first try what I call The American Approach, which is simply this: "If X is good, then 2X simply HAS TO BE twice as good."  ;D "
- Culturejam

m-Kresol

I have to check out the press-n-peel stuff. Where did you get it?
I build pedals to hide my lousy playing.

My projects are labeled Quantum Effects. My shared OSH park projects: https://oshpark.com/profiles/m-Kresol
My build docs and tutorials

midwayfair