News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

White decals for pedals?

Started by brand0nized, December 17, 2013, 06:35:21 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

brand0nized

Is there a way to print white text or designs for decals Or is there a special paint process you have to do?

gtr2

1776 EFFECTS STORE     
Contract PCB designer

pickdropper

You can also start with white adhesive sticker paper and print the rest of the colors around the white.

Papillio makes some nice white vinyl stuff.  Not cheap, but hey, you're worth it.
Function f(x)
Follow me on Instagram as pickdropper

bcalla

Decals are available with either clear or white film.  I have bought clear film decals from decalpaper.com, who also carries white film decals.  I have never tried the white film.  I will once I run out of white vinyl stickers - I bought these at labelsbythesheet.com.  They take toner well & look great, but the obvious problem is that unlike decals you can't slide them into position.  So placing them is a PITA.

jimilee

You can buy white waterslide paper on eBay all day long. I like it because it also makes the color really stand out.
Pedal building is like the opposite of sex.  All the fun stuff happens before you get in the box.

rullywowr

I ordered some 4"x5" labels from label outfitters..they come 4 to a sheet and each label is big enough to cover a 1590BB.  I haven't had enough time to play around with them a lot yet, but I printed one and they do take toner quite well.  I plan on trying some experimentation with this material soon.

Even though they are self adhesive, I have heard you can use some windex or mild soapy water to slide the decal around on the surface until you get it right.  Then squeegee out the excess liquid and let dry completely.  Apply a clear coat (optional) over the entire pedal and you should be good to go.

DIY Guitar Pedal PCB projects!

brand0nized

I know about waterslide decals, I've ordered some from mammoth along with my parts.

I'm just wondering how I could get white text on there.

I like the idea of printing the color of the enclosure onto a white decal for white designs, but I feel like it won't look as good as I want it to be

brand0nized

Quote from: gtr2 on December 17, 2013, 06:41:03 PM
Stamps w/stanzon ink

That sounds like an interesting idea! Have you done this before?

pryde

Quote from: rullywowr on December 17, 2013, 07:14:14 PM
Even though they are self adhesive, I have heard you can use some windex or mild soapy water to slide the decal around on the surface until you get it right.  Then squeegee out the excess liquid and let dry completely.  Apply a clear coat (optional) over the entire pedal and you should be good to go.

Indeed you can do this. I was once a quality control manager for a large decal/graphics business and trained operators in installation of BIG industrial decals. Use just a drop of dish soap per 2 quarts of water and spray the box surface as well as the back of the decal, position the decal, then squeegee all water/air bubbles out and let it setup and dry overnight.

juansolo

Quote from: pickdropper on December 17, 2013, 06:43:36 PM
You can also start with white adhesive sticker paper and print the rest of the colors around the white.

Papillio makes some nice white vinyl stuff.  Not cheap, but hey, you're worth it.

Needs to be white film rather than vinyl if you're coating with Envirotex. Found that out recently... The Vinyl gasses and causes bubbles in the 'tex.
Gnomepage - DIY effects library & stuff in the Stompage bit
"I excite very large doom for days" - playpunk

jkokura

Printing white is possible, it's just really difficult and expensive. You may have some local sign shops that can do this for you, which is how I was able to get it done. It's expensive unless you do several/many at a time. Essentially, look for a print shop that can print white onto clear vinyl decal stock.

Jacob
JMK Pedals - Custom Pedal Creations
JMK PCBs *New Website*
pedal company - youtube - facebook - Used Pedals

davent

You could print your black/coloured lettering onto white decal film then trim the decal to leave a thin white outline around your lettering. In the past i've cut a mask slightly larger then my lettering, used the mask to paint a white cloud on the enclosure then apply the clear decal over the cloud.

Green over the white "cloud".

dave
"If you always do what you always did- you always get what you always got." - Unknown

If my photos are missing again... they're hosted by photobucket... and as of 06/2017 being held hostage... to be continued?

bcalla

Quote from: juansolo on December 17, 2013, 09:51:09 PM
Needs to be white film rather than vinyl if you're coating with Envirotex. Found that out recently... The Vinyl gasses and causes bubbles in the 'tex.
Thanks for sharing this.  I just recently used Envirotex for the first time on paint / decals.  I planned to use vinyl / Envirotex on my next build.  I need to come up with plan B...

pickdropper

Quote from: juansolo on December 17, 2013, 09:51:09 PM
Quote from: pickdropper on December 17, 2013, 06:43:36 PM

Hmm, that is interesting.  I've used the white vinyl with 'tex.  I wouldn't call it bubble free, but it didn't look terrible.  This is one that I used a white vinyl sticker on:

What brand vinyl sticker did you use?
Function f(x)
Follow me on Instagram as pickdropper

juansolo

If there's a lot of black ink on it it's more visible. I've done about 4 recently as a test, 3 were ok, the 4th was pretty bad for it. It's there on all of them, but those with a lot of black ink down are most visible.

Another prob I've had is that my usual supplier of film decals has changed supplier and the new stuff is crap :( so I'm on the hunt again for decent decals.
Gnomepage - DIY effects library & stuff in the Stompage bit
"I excite very large doom for days" - playpunk