News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

Which fuzz build for Doom?

Started by theAntihero, December 16, 2013, 09:36:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

theAntihero

New to the forum and pretty new to pedal building, i built a Onesie fuzz/Bazz Fuss and want to build more. So far i have a Wooly Mammoth pcb on the way and id like to try more.

So which fuzz or distortion would you guys recommend i try from here for Doom/stoner sorts of tones?

pietro_moog

bass or guitar? which tuning?
i really like the dam meathead, big muff with 4 germanium diodes at the first stage, standard fuzz face.
but i even like a catalinbread sft with the guitar tuned in C drop. the rat with sweep mod is also good, even if it's not my cup of tea. however it really depends on the amp and guitar, at least IMHO.
a really nice thing is a 18v catalinbread sft with an orange eq and a cut switch before the gain pot. really nice.
if you go for a big muff or a meathead, make sure you use low gain transistors.
i never tried a colorsound overdrive, but it can make sense.
you can also go for a EQD hoof fuzz. it very wooly to me, not what i like, but i am not you.
you may prefer something with an octave sound, in the case i'd suggest a superfuzz/ ibanez standard fuzz, or a foxx tone fuzz machine.
but there are really many choices.
BJF pink purple fuzz may be another one, but i never tried in real life

evildead222

I would recommend a pharaoh fuzz, musket fuzz which are modified big muffs, or there is a layout on tagboardeffects for the mountainking megalith fuzz and it is HEAVY! Or any of devi ever pedals, like the hyperion or soda meiser.

selfdestroyer

Quote from: theAntihero on December 16, 2013, 09:36:57 PM
New to the forum and pretty new to pedal building, i built a Onesie fuzz/Bazz Fuss and want to build more. So far i have a Wooly Mammoth pcb on the way and id like to try more.

So which fuzz or distortion would you guys recommend i try from here for Doom/stoner sorts of tones?

Welcome to the forum.. there are a few doomheads here on the forums and I am included. I like all sorts of music and stoner/doom is one of them. I have been super happy with my Madbean Mudbunny setup as a Black Arts Toneworks Pharaoh Fuzz. A fuzz face can hit some doom sounds with drop tuning and larger coupling caps for more bass goodness (Check out OxFuzz). If you want something VERY heavy and does not clean up well at all, try the Mountainking Electronics Megalith its insane.

I have a guitar in C standard that I run into my Pharaoh and a 4knob Fuzzface and its pretty brutal.

Hope this helps. Look forward to seeing your builds.

Cody

theAntihero

Thanks for all the replies so quickly!

I have a couple doom orientated fuzzes, among them a Pharoah, Supercollider, Sludgemaker,and Donner Party, so im basically just looking for builds more than anything. Really i just want to build more pedals.

I tune to B with either a standard scale guitar or a baritone

pietro_moog

if you have fuzzes already, are you sure you are after a fuzz? what about a booster instead? like a zvex super hard on (all the pedals i suggest are available as diy projects on pcbs or overboard). the QOTSA made a large use of the super hard on. it's more rock than the standard doom, but it's an interesting sound.
i like a catalinbread SFT (named faultline on this forum). 18v, i made an orange eq instead of the regular ampeg,
a dpdt on-off-on switch right before the gain knob for taming the low end in the case.
you know, it's really up to you. maybe you could like a russian big muff with a germanium transistor at first stage, like the blackout effectors blunderbuss. lots of ideas come to my mind. there's a shitload of stuff that i haven't tried.
good luck

rullywowr

Welcome...to the dark side!

Quote from: pietro_moog on December 16, 2013, 10:18:31 PM
if you have fuzzes already, are you sure you are after a fuzz? what about a booster instead? like a zvex super hard on (all the pedals i suggest are available as diy projects on pcbs or overboard). the QOTSA made a large use of the super hard on. it's more rock than the standard doom, but it's an interesting sound.

If you want to give the sho, a go...here is a link to OshPark where I have a really small and open source layout for the super hard on...$3.20 for three PCBs shipped (pretty hard to beat!)
http://oshpark.com/shared_projects/nsJTeQK0

-Ben

DIY Guitar Pedal PCB projects!

theAntihero

Hmm.....ive been wanting to pick up an SFT for awhile now.

And rullywowr, that site is awesome, thanks for pointing me towards it i never knew it existed

icecycle66

I always promote the Green Russian muff variant for a nice doom bass.

I like the wooly mammoth with one of Jacob's mix controls.

juansolo

Quote from: selfdestroyer on December 16, 2013, 09:52:12 PM
Quote from: theAntihero on December 16, 2013, 09:36:57 PM

Welcome to the forum.. there are a few doomheads here on the forums and I am included. I like all sorts of music and stoner/doom is one of them. I have been super happy with my Madbean Mudbunny setup as a Black Arts Toneworks Pharaoh Fuzz. A fuzz face can hit some doom sounds with drop tuning and larger coupling caps for more bass goodness (Check out OxFuzz). If you want something VERY heavy and does not clean up well at all, try the Mountainking Electronics Megalith its insane.

I have a guitar in C standard that I run into my Pharaoh and a 4knob Fuzzface and its pretty brutal.

Hope this helps. Look forward to seeing your builds.

Cody

Add an UltraStoner to your collection of fuzzes. If you're running a Orange/Matamp, stick a Colorsound OD into it and dime the bass/gain/vol on it.
Gnomepage - DIY effects library & stuff in the Stompage bit
"I excite very large doom for days" - playpunk

theAntihero

The ultraStoner does seem pretty cool, but unless its a PCB, its gonna have to wait awhile as im not really sure im up to perfboard stuff yet.

I ordered a Mudbunny, i think ill build either a civil war or a green russian from it. Plus im gonna order a SFT and possibly a Meathead/Snack Shack next....maybe even a Zombii for fun

juansolo

Can build it on a mudbunny. The extra pot is easy to add.

The silicon Fuzzrite (or DAM FR-70) is well worth a build also and is full of stonery goodness.
Gnomepage - DIY effects library & stuff in the Stompage bit
"I excite very large doom for days" - playpunk

theAntihero

The sound clips sound good, and links to how i would use the Mudbunny pcb to build it?

selfdestroyer

Quote from: theAntihero on December 19, 2013, 12:22:42 AM
The sound clips sound good, and links to how i would use the Mudbunny pcb to build it?

I'll post this for Juansolo since I'm here.
This should help you. Juansolo has done a great job collecting these and organizing them so well. They have become out bible for Big Muffs around here.

http://juansolo.demon.co.uk/stompage/Muffs.htm

theAntihero

Wow, that graph is gonna help me quite a bit!