News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

J201 JFET question

Started by wretched, December 13, 2013, 03:48:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

wretched

I am getting together my parts for a Tweedy Bird and I need 6 of them to be pretty much the same. I am wondering how consistent they are and how many I should buy. I was going to get them from tayda

haveyouseenhim

The ones I got from tayda varied wildly. I would recommend buying some smd J201s from chromspere's store. There is a little adapter board you can etch or ask him if he has any.
I'm sorry sir, we only have the regular ohms

midwayfair

>I was going to get them from tayda

I'll just go ahead and recommend against that. For one thing, Tayda's J201s aren't any cheaper than, say, Smallbear, and Smallbear's are known genuine Fairchild transistors.

You are going to need a PILE of them to make several close matches. At least 20. The leftovers are useful in other effects, so it's not wasted, even though it seems a bit expensive now. FETs are like delicate little snowflakes and they all want to be different from each other, so figure it you're just trying to match drain voltages within .05V, and the range can be over 1V on various pieces, you can see that there is a lot of room for it to be "wrong." Fortunately there is a bell curve near the center that will get you pretty close on several. But you still need a lot of transistors.

wretched

From Smallbear with shipping for 25 it is about $22US.

I ended up ordering them, now just keep my fingers crossed that I find at least 5 or 6 close matched.

jubal81

You could always offer a bounty to someone on the board to send you a matched set. My stockpiles are pretty depleted at the moment or I'd offer.
"If you put all the knobs on your amplifier on 10 you can get a much higher reaction-to-effort ratio with an electric guitar than you can with an acoustic."
- David Fair

wretched

I was going to, but I see a few other projects that need j201s so I figure I should start a pile of my own.

wretched

I ended up getting the ones from Small bear at the same time as the tayda ones. Small bear is on the left and the tayda one is in the right. You can see the differences

pickdropper

Quote from: wretched on December 24, 2013, 05:39:59 PM
I ended up getting the ones from Small bear at the same time as the tayda ones. Small bear is on the left and the tayda one is in the right. You can see the differences

The one on the left looks real to me.  It is *possible* that the one on the right is real but came from a different fab. 
Function f(x)
Follow me on Instagram as pickdropper

juansolo

Tayda J201s aren't. Stick with Smallbear or make your own (as we have to do now).
Gnomepage - DIY effects library & stuff in the Stompage bit
"I excite very large doom for days" - playpunk

playpunk

Quote from: juansolo on December 25, 2013, 09:12:01 AM
Tayda J201s aren't. Stick with Smallbear or make your own (as we have to do now).

how do you make your own J201?
"my legend grows" - playpunk

rullywowr

Chromosphere has a great video on it. Basically j201 are available in smd. You solder the smd j201 to a breakout board (mini PCB) and then it functions just like a through hole j201.

DIY Guitar Pedal PCB projects!

kothoma

also search for "SOT23 to SIP3 adapter"

chromesphere

here's a link to the video, pcb layout, and product listing for the smd j201 (mmbfj201) conversion for anyone playing along at home:

http://www.diyguitarpedals.com.au/shop/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=6&products_id=52
Pedal Parts Shop              Youtube

wretched

My SMD soldering tip is to use some tape to hold the SMD in place for the first solder spot. Seems obvious but I overlooked it for so long.