News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

'nother nautilus question

Started by randall, December 11, 2013, 10:04:22 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

randall

I didn't notice until I powered up and bench tested my madbean nautilus that the project overview mentions an up/down switch, but the pcb and schematic has a range switch in it's place. I will be using this on bass guitar, and was actually looking forward to the up/down switch. Anyone know where it went?

rullywowr

Are you doing the single sided etching version?  If so, you will have to wire up H2, H3, H5, and H6 to a switch.  There is no HP/BP/LP PCB mount holes on the SS etched version...same thing with the range switch.  Check the diagram in the PDF.

DIY Guitar Pedal PCB projects!

randall

I am building the double sided pcb. I edited my OP for corrections. I meant to say that the overview talks of a up/down switch, which I saw demonstrated in a uTube video. Didn't notice it doesn't now have one until it was all built. It was one of the things that attracted me in the first place. Was it removed/replaced for a good reason?

Also, is there anything that would make this pedal more voiced for bass? Not that it doesn't sound quite good already.

midwayfair

The switch is just named differently. Check the schematic. The up/down switch is the range switch. The "range" switch in the schematic changes the reference voltage for the LEDs after the signal is rectified, thus changing whether the LEDs turn "on" when the envelope voltage signal is driven through them or whether they turn "off" when the rectified signal reduces potential at their cathodes. Read this article if you want to learn more: http://www.geofex.com/article_folders/ecftech/ecftech.htm

The switches are/were poorly named ... I think part of the reason is that "Sweeping downward while idling at the upper end of the sweep/sweeping upward while idling at the lower end of the sweep" is hard to fit on your typical label.

randall

Ah, thanks I get it now. I can see the LED corresponding with the up/down, bright/dim mode. Although the first position, up/down sounds like it is doing a lot more then the other, which sounds much thinner. I am intending on using this for bass. I wonder if this makes any difference?