News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

Solder Station recommend-me-do

Started by LaceSensor, December 09, 2013, 05:17:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

LaceSensor

Hi

Whats a general consensus on a good brand (so available spares like tips etc) on a variable temperature solder station.
Or just the top brands etc. $200 max (£100 GBP approx)

Hoping my parents will hook me up for Xmas
Im using a Xytronic pencil style iron at present. Be happy with another one of them but cant find them anymore in the UK.

Ian

gtr2

Can't go wrong with the Hakko imo...

Josh
1776 EFFECTS STORE     
Contract PCB designer

rullywowr

Josh is spot on.  Hakko is considered one of the premium top iron brands.  While my main iron isn't a Hakko, I have their desoldering rig and it is built like a tank...plus parts are very available for the entire product line.

I have a Weller WESD51 myself, and it has been very good to me for a number of years.  Probably can't go wrong either way but I would suggest Hakko or a (higher level) Weller.  Seeing how nice Hakkos are, if I had to do it again I would probably get a Hakko...but my Weller has been great to me...no regrets.

Prices for decent irons of these two brands are around $100-$150.

If you stick with either of these brands, be sure you get the following features:
1)  Digital temp display with adjustable temp
2)  Has an assortment of tips which are readily available.
3)  Ensure you get from a reputable seller...there are some Hakko knock offs out there.  If the price is too good to be true, well you know the rest.

DIY Guitar Pedal PCB projects!

RobA

I have the Hakko FX-888. I love the thing. I haven't had a single issue with soldering since I got it. It's been perfect. I think there is a newer digitally controlled version of the same station now.
Affiliations: Music Unfolding (musicunfolding.com), software based effects and Rock•it Frog (rock.it-frog.com), DIY effects (coming soon).

davent

I went with a Weller WES51 over a similarily priced Hakko as the Weller tips can be had locally or at my main on-line component source, not so easy for the Hakko, nothing convenient. The iron's been great for the years i've had it.

dave
"If you always do what you always did- you always get what you always got." - Unknown

If my photos are missing again... they're hosted by photobucket... and as of 06/2017 being held hostage... to be continued?

gjcamann

+1 WES51 .. best $90 I've spent in pedal making.

rullywowr

Quote from: davent on December 09, 2013, 06:12:57 PM
I went with a Weller WES51 over a similarily priced Hakko as the Weller tips can be had locally or at my main on-line component source, not so easy for the Hakko, nothing convenient. The iron's been great for the years i've had it.

dave

This is a good point!  I purchased my WESD51 (pretty much the same as you) locally and I can get tips locally as well.

GermanCdn

Go with Hakko, can't go wrong.  My wife bought me mine for Christmas last year, and I've got a year out of it with no signs of wear on the tip. 
The only known cure in the world for GAS is death.  That's my story, and I'm sticking to it.

selfdestroyer

I use a Weller WESD51 and its a work horse. It was an easy decision since it was the same model I was using at work. Another plus was being able to get tips locally if needed.

muddyfox

hakko is prohibitively expensive in Europe and since i've had rotten luck with wellers (new stock, old stuff is bulletproof) i've gotten the family to pull together and get me a jbc for xmas. now, i certainly don't need that kind of weaponry nor can i do it justice. let me tell ya, i've never tried anything that has this sort of thermal capacity and temperature recovery. i'm not saying that there's nothing better under the sun but this thing is the bees knees and certainly worth it if you can swing that sort of cheddar. i know i'm set for life with it.

gjcamann

Yeah, those JBC's look super nice - probably a good way to spend you money if you've got it.

das234

Quote from: RobA on December 09, 2013, 06:00:47 PM
I have the Hakko FX-888. I love the thing. I haven't had a single issue with soldering since I got it. It's been perfect. I think there is a newer digitally controlled version of the same station now.
+1.  This is what I use and it's great right out of the box.

rullywowr

Wow that JBC tip cleaning stand is the nicest I have seen. But $57 seems like a lot of dough....I may just stick with my chore boy alligator clipped to my iron stand.  http://www.jbctools.com/cataleg.php?pro=63&id=7#CL9885

derevaun

The only advice I can offer is to confirm that it has a grounded tip.

LaceSensor

Cheers all
I'll report back post xmas