News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

Wiring issue?

Started by Vice/President, December 06, 2013, 05:41:46 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Vice/President

Hey guys.  I got my Rub a dub reverb working great, I tested it and it was working fine.  I boxed it up last night and it worked fine, and then sat down to play this morning and it's not working.  If I toggle it on and off several times, I'll get sound out of it probably 1/15 tries.  I'm not sure what happened because like I said it was working fine last night.  I'm thinking it could be a bad footswitch but I really have no idea.  The LED comes on every time but usually not the sound. 

Here is a picture of the wiring.

jimilee

It sounds like an overheated foot switch or wire leads touching the cable tip or footswitch wires touching. Can you wiggle the wires on the foot switch and see if that helps or remove from the enclosure and see if it works that way? You're practically home free!!!
Pedal building is like the opposite of sex.  All the fun stuff happens before you get in the box.

DutchMF

There might be a few issues here: as you mentioned yourself, your switch could be faulty. Also, on your pics, I see some wires that might be touching each other, but that's really hard to tell. Lastly, you might want to try reflowing the solder joinst on the switch, but they do actually look good. Check those things out, you already confirmed the board works, so you're really close!!!

A tip on footswitch wiring: If you connect the three lugs that all go to ground with an L-shaped bit of left over component lead, it's much easier to fit it all in there!

Paul
"If you can't stand the heat, stay away from the soldering iron!"

rullywowr

I always recommend connecting the grounds on the jacks as well. This way you aren't relying on the jack nut to make a pressure connection to the enclosure. If one of these is loose it will make your pedal appear doa.

DIY Guitar Pedal PCB projects!

Govmnt_Lacky

So many things to point out but....  :o

I'd put my money on an overheated 3PDT switch  ;)

Vice/President

Quote from: Govmnt_Lacky on December 06, 2013, 06:59:17 PM
So many things to point out but....  :o

I'd put my money on an overheated 3PDT switch  ;)
If it's an overheated switch does that mean I've gotta get myself a new one? Thanks everyone

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

rullywowr

Unfortunately yes. Once it's melted it's toast. When doing lugs try to use your iron on a hot setting (if it has one) and work quick. Get in and get out so you don't bake the internals. Better to use more heat and work fast than low heat and slow cool these types of switches.

DIY Guitar Pedal PCB projects!

Vice/President

Quote from: rullywowr on December 06, 2013, 07:18:12 PM
Unfortunately yes. Once it's melted it's toast. When doing lugs try to use your iron on a hot setting (if it has one) and work quick. Get in and get out so you don't bake the internals. Better to use more heat and work fast than low heat and slow cool these types of switches.

I'm gonna try resoldering everything on the switch just in case, hopefully trying using a component lead to connect the grounds to make it a bit tidier. If that fails, I'll order another switch and hopefully we'll be back in business. Would the LED still work with a fried switch? Also, I keep my tip at 700 degrees for soldering components, would you recommend higher for the switch?

Govmnt_Lacky

Quote from: Vice/President on December 06, 2013, 07:34:43 PM

I'm gonna try resoldering everything on the switch just in case, hopefully trying using a component lead to connect the grounds to make it a bit tidier. If that fails, I'll order another switch and hopefully we'll be back in business. Would the LED still work with a fried switch? Also, I keep my tip at 700 degrees for soldering components, would you recommend higher for the switch?

The LED could work as there are 3 seperate poles on the switch. Any one or two of them could be bad.

As for your iron... I use mine at 700 also but, when I solder onto a 3PDT, I always melt a small bit of solder onto the TINNED AND CLEAN tip (very important that the tip is clean and tinned for proper heat transfer) and when I solder to the lugs, I make sure I am not applying the iron any longer than 3 seconds. If I dont get a good joint in that time, I move on to another lug and come back to that one later.  ;)

Vice/President

Quote from: Govmnt_Lacky on December 06, 2013, 07:56:42 PM
Quote from: Vice/President on December 06, 2013, 07:34:43 PM

This helps a lot, thanks for the advice. Hopefully I'll get a build report up soon!

The LED could work as there are 3 seperate poles on the switch. Any one or two of them could be bad.

As for your iron... I use mine at 700 also but, when I solder onto a 3PDT, I always melt a small bit of solder onto the TINNED AND CLEAN tip (very important that the tip is clean and tinned for proper heat transfer) and when I solder to the lugs, I make sure I am not applying the iron any longer than 3 seconds. If I dont get a good joint in that time, I move on to another lug and come back to that one later.  ;)

davent

If you over heated it, easy with all those leads, it's possible that all you've done is melted the grease in the switch and its run down and contaminated the electrical contacts. You can disassemble the switch and clean the contacts and it should be good to go again.

"If you always do what you always did- you always get what you always got." - Unknown

If my photos are missing again... they're hosted by photobucket... and as of 06/2017 being held hostage... to be continued?

Vice/President

Quote from: davent on December 06, 2013, 08:05:32 PM
If you over heated it, easy with all those leads, it's possible that all you've done is melted the grease in the switch and its run down and contaminated the electrical contacts. You can disassemble the switch and clean the contacts and it should be good to go again.

Thanks!!! I'll give this a shot

jimilee

I would try wiggling the wires and maybe remove it from the enclosure before I reheated an already maybe overheated switch.  Do you have bypass? It could just be wiring shorting on something. I did just that earlier today.
Pedal building is like the opposite of sex.  All the fun stuff happens before you get in the box.

Vice/President

Quote from: jimilee on December 06, 2013, 09:13:57 PM
I would try wiggling the wires and maybe remove it from the enclosure before I reheated an already maybe overheated switch.  Do you have bypass? It could just be wiring shorting on something. I did just that earlier today.

Yes I should have mentioned, I do have bypass.  Maybe there is hope for the switch.

jimilee

Quote from: Vice/President on December 06, 2013, 09:40:42 PM
Quote from: jimilee on December 06, 2013, 09:13:57 PM

Yes I should have mentioned, I do have bypass.  Maybe there is hope for the switch.
Right, it's probably something simple, just today a jack was shorting against the enclosure, it worked done for 20onutes after I unplugged the cable and plugged it back on, it stopped working. Wiggles some wires and the jack and figured it out. You'll get it.