News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

Log - Heavy Water

Started by alanp, December 06, 2013, 04:47:16 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

wgc

Very cool! 

Did you consider using headers to join the pcbs? It would take some layout doing, but could save a lot of wiring.

Too bad osh park doesn't offer semi rigid flex...    ;)
always the beautiful answer who asks a more beautiful question.
e.e. cummings

pickdropper

Alan, you've been working with Eagle for a while now, I think it's time for you to take on some more ambitious projects.   ;D

Looks like it's going to be beautiful madness.
Function f(x)
Follow me on Instagram as pickdropper

nzCdog

omg....  crazy coolness Al... you need a name for your wild pedal laboratory methinks! 8)

alanp

Quote from: wgc on April 13, 2014, 01:59:24 PM
Did you consider using headers to join the pcbs? It would take some layout doing, but could save a lot of wiring.

Good idea -- I ordered some female-female cable stuff from Tayda, and I'll solder pin headers onto the boards. Should make wiring it up a bit easier, and I can always tape down the cable connectors.
"A man is not dead while his name is still spoken."
- Terry Pratchett
My OSHpark shared projects
My website

alanp

wgc, I ran with your header idea.

There was a schematic error -- the Prophecysound PDF does not make it clear whether two crossing lines are a junction, or not. So that's why the Stanley knife is on the bench -- patches were also needed on the back of the LFO board. The oscilloscope is really, really necessary when troubleshooting this kind of thing -- you can probe where the triangle output should be, and see exactly what you've got. (Audio probes aren't much help, I think, in an LFO situation.)

I made a power distribution board, with the header wires going to that for power. (Two sets of wires from the PSU board, as the signal and control power and ground is kept separate.

It was very, very cool seeing the lit up pots sweep back and forth like KITT, or jump around, depending on the LFO controls! Next order of business is the audio boards -- I still need to solder up the 4/8 stage switch on the phase engine board, which I have a mild case of CBF with. Tonight, at least.
- Terry Pratchett
My website

wgc

Awesome! Glad the headers are helping Alan
e.e. cummings

alanp

Who has phase? This guy does!

It works! The insane board count is chiefly to get around Eagle's size limitation. I need to socket the LDR's and replace them with a matching set -- there is a noticeable dip in the sweep, midway. Either that or I need more bench time with my oscilloscope to tune the LFO in. The 4/8 switch is wired in, but the fast/slow switch is not, yet.

Night shot: (the rate was fast enough that the camera caught several pots during the travel....) bottom lights are the lit up pots, top constellation is the phase engine board.

The sweeping, lit up pots are very sexy.

- Terry Pratchett
My website

the3secondrule

I don't know what this is, but you had me at phase....
"I have many leatherbound books, and my apartment smells of rich mahogany"

alanp

It is actually a LOT cleaner than the video suggests -- a +15V to -15V gives you a lot of swing. Skip to 3:20 for the first bit of playing -- this one needs a fair bit of explaining.
- Terry Pratchett
My website

alanp

Got the box drilled up. Except for two bloody switch holes  :-[ :-[ and I need to replace the LDR's with matched ones.

Not gonna bother tidying the wires or painting it until I have (thus the masking tape'd control labels, plus I'll put some 1900H's on it then.)
- Terry Pratchett
My website

LaceSensor

wgc

Yowza!  Awesome stuff here
e.e. cummings

pickdropper

Wow, what are you going to add for the deluxe version?
Function f(x)
Follow me on Instagram as pickdropper

Hangingmonkey

Wow, total awesomeness. Where can I get me one of those enclosures?

alanp

Quote from: pickdropper on June 02, 2014, 12:40:31 PM
Wow, what are you going to add for the deluxe version?

Decent labelling ;)

Manas, it's a Hammond 1456KL3, IIRC (could be wrong, it's like 5am here.)
- Terry Pratchett
My website