News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

Everybody need a pair of.......

Started by GrindCustoms, December 03, 2013, 12:25:10 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

alanp

Wooow.

I bet Greg had an accident when he saw all those PTP resistors, and bare leads, though :) ;)
"A man is not dead while his name is still spoken."
- Terry Pratchett
My OSHpark shared projects
My website

GrindCustoms

Thanks for all the kind comments guys, this was a hell of nice evening putting these 2 together. Perfectionning my PTP skills for the too many amp builts project that i have sitting in my disaster room.

Quote from: icecycle66 on December 03, 2013, 05:54:41 PM
When are you going to slather the guts with epoxy?

Hahahaha, never, everything is inter-connected it's rock solid, the only wiring that is close to the enclosure is the ground bus..if it touches the enclosure...  well it will be grounded. Hahahaha.

Quote from: juansolo on December 03, 2013, 06:05:33 PM
PSU we're using for the next one ;) Built and tested. Needs two heatsinks and runs the HV at 190V (going higher isn't recommended). Runs two 12AX7s no trouble.

As no one bought the Marshall pedal I had up for sale, it's being rebuilt currently  ;D  It's going to be the definitive BT Twin. We've done one before with lots of options on it (to see what was worth doing), this'll be the stripped down end version in theory. Really good and way better than the original Twin.

Glad that you posted this, i was waiting that Cleggy mail me the updates about it, we've been discussing of adding a JFET buffer on that board instead of a Klonish so it can run on 24V! 8) Told me he was going to test it out but that's where we stopped our chat.

Quote from: juansolo on December 03, 2013, 06:14:54 PM
Also, you really need to build the pentode one. It's rather good and quite a bit different.

Where's the schem? Send me it and i'll build it, i've got everything in hand to make those PSU aswell.

Killing Unicorns, day after day...

Building a better world brick by brick:https://rebrickable.com/users/GrindingBricks/mocs/

GrindCustoms

Quote from: selfdestroyer on December 03, 2013, 06:16:28 PM
Looks like a junglegym in there... in a good way. Awesome wire job! Can I ask what you used to get that cool bevel on your drill holes? It really looks clean.

Thanks, i use step drill bits, the counter sunk seen is just the bigger step that i always push a bit into to eliminate burrs and have softer edges for when i do my sanding thing.

Quote from: rullywowr on December 03, 2013, 07:38:53 PM
Extremely clean wiring, and tons of mojo caps for that great toan.  Thanks for sharing your build pics...pretty inspiring!

Glad to hear this, that was my goal. :)

Quote from: alanp on December 04, 2013, 06:05:05 AM
Wooow.

I bet Greg had an accident when he saw all those PTP resistors, and bare leads, though :) ;)

Who's Greg? :o

Quote from: Gledison on December 03, 2013, 08:16:15 PM
This build should have a link to the ongoing mojo thread!👌😛

This is my non-polite reply. ;)

But in this built, the higher voltage caps are required, it's made to be used with 9 to 18VDC power supply, it gets 120V in there when running on 18V. And it simply makes a foundation to my sayings in that said thread, doing PTP with box cap is not convenient at all(for me).

Building a better world brick by brick:https://rebrickable.com/users/GrindingBricks/mocs/

juansolo

Quote from: GrindCustoms on December 04, 2013, 11:10:40 PM
Thanks for all the kind comments guys, this was a hell of nice evening putting these 2 together. Perfectionning my PTP skills for the too many amp builts project that i have sitting in my disaster room.

Quote from: icecycle66 on December 03, 2013, 05:54:41 PM
When are you going to slather the guts with epoxy?

Hahahaha, never, everything is inter-connected it's rock solid, the only wiring that is close to the enclosure is the ground bus..if it touches the enclosure...  well it will be grounded. Hahahaha.

Quote from: juansolo on December 03, 2013, 06:05:33 PM
PSU we're using for the next one ;) Built and tested. Needs two heatsinks and runs the HV at 190V (going higher isn't recommended). Runs two 12AX7s no trouble.

As no one bought the Marshall pedal I had up for sale, it's being rebuilt currently  ;D  It's going to be the definitive BT Twin. We've done one before with lots of options on it (to see what was worth doing), this'll be the stripped down end version in theory. Really good and way better than the original Twin.

Glad that you posted this, i was waiting that Cleggy mail me the updates about it, we've been discussing of adding a JFET buffer on that board instead of a Klonish so it can run on 24V! 8) Told me he was going to test it out but that's where we stopped our chat.

Yeah, we got sidetracked. The twin is the only tube effect we've done in the meantime and it's got a cathode follower on the end.

Sundgist JFet buffer would probably be happy at 24v

Quote from: GrindCustoms on December 04, 2013, 11:10:40 PM
Quote from: juansolo on December 03, 2013, 06:14:54 PM
Also, you really need to build the pentode one. It's rather good and quite a bit different.

Where's the schem? Send me it and i'll build it, i've got everything in hand to make those PSU aswell.

The pentode one you can do one of two ways. I'm planning on building a high voltage one shortly with the above PSU. It's this one:

Or you could build the stripboard one with the submini Cleggy sent you on this:

Cleggy has an idea of re-doing the pentode one with an additional triode to use as a pair of cathode followers front and rear, and a proper gain control. That'll be later though.
Gnomepage - DIY effects library & stuff in the Stompage bit
"I excite very large doom for days" - playpunk

GrindCustoms

Will give that JFET buffer a try, i've got some L7824 Vreg.

I've built both of those, the 6BR7 is my favorite for now.

I was waiting for the updated Twin with new PSU to get at it, it's now time. 8)

juansolo

Yeah, I'm a big fan of the 6BR7/Pentode boost. Has a lovely tube saturation thing going on. Will be interesting to hear what it does with triple the voltage to the plates. If we can get a gain control in there too with the tube buffers, it could be spectacular.

Probably not going to happen before Xmas now. Depends if the bits arrive before Cleggy buggers off down south (as he does this time of year).
Gnomepage - DIY effects library & stuff in the Stompage bit
"I excite very large doom for days" - playpunk

GrindCustoms

I run mine with the 18v supply, it's quite the awesomeness.

Just need to find a place to buy à lot... ...bored of buying them individualy on the bay.

I might want to add a bass switch on mine, at higher gain setting it seem to thin à bit.