News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

Potentiometer Question

Started by evildead222, December 02, 2013, 10:18:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

evildead222

How do I turn a 500k linear pot into a 250k linear.  Can i use a resistor.

Gledison

Just add. A 500k in parallel u get the 250k! 1/Rt=1/R1+1/R2
Add the resistor between lugs 1 and 3!
Cheers
If i fart a lot,  it means that i'm a Gas expert ?

evildead222

i connect the outer lugs with a resistor?

Gledison

Yep! Sorry, ive just updated my answer

muddyfox

yes but will it still be a linear pot?

Gledison

Gledison

I would sugest you to get the right pot , but if you cant, try it with the resistor and see how it goes! You can always change afterwards

evildead222

yea it's just to test it out then i'll order the right pots

DutchMF

I hate to disagree with Gledison, but it's a bit more complicated than that. To start with, it depends on how the pot functions in the circuit, is it a voltage devider, variable resistance etc... This is some good reading: http://www.geofex.com/article_folders/potsecrets/potscret.htm

Getting the right pot is always preferable, but to start: a linear pot with a resistor bootstrapped over it will never remain linear.

Paul
"If you can't stand the heat, stay away from the soldering iron!"

muddyfox

Quote from: DutchMF on December 03, 2013, 11:52:42 AM
a linear pot with a resistor bootstrapped over it will never remain linear.

Yeah I had a gut feeling about that when I asked... I really should take time and read "Life of pots"...  ::)

DutchMF

It's really difficult to get your head around stuff like this, if I say so myself. I made an Excel sheet once, with some graphs linked to all the data, to visualize what happens when you start messing with pots and resistors, but I lost that one......... If I get really bored, I will give it another go, because it worked fantastic!

Paul

Govmnt_Lacky

Getting the right pot is always preferable, but to start: a linear pot with a resistor bootstrapped over it will never remain linear.

I agree Paul however, I would be pretty confident saying that it will get you where you want to be  ;D

It would be close enough to a linear taper that it would work. If you want perfection.... then get the 250KB pot. If you want it to work NOW, use the 500KB pot with a 500K (or 510K) resistor strapped between Lugs 1 and 3.

A small sacrifice for having it completed now.  8)

DutchMF

Quote from: Govmnt_Lacky on December 03, 2013, 12:40:33 PM

I agree Paul however, I would be pretty confident saying that it will get you where you want to be  ;D

It would be close enough to a linear taper that it would work. If you want perfection.... then get the 250KB pot. If you want it to work NOW, use the 500KB pot with a 500K (or 510K) resistor strapped between Lugs 1 and 3.

Yeah, you can certainly do this to see everything works, but when the pot is used as a variable resistor, like the gain control in the Egodriver, this won't work......... Sorry for being an ass, I really only try to help.  :D

Paul

midwayfair

Quote from: DutchMF on December 03, 2013, 12:46:39 PM
Quote from: Govmnt_Lacky on December 03, 2013, 12:40:33 PM

Yeah, you can certainly do this to see everything works, but when the pot is used as a variable resistor, like the gain control in the Egodriver, this won't work......... Sorry for being an ass, I really only try to help.  :D

Paul

Why do you say that? Connect lugs 2 and 3 and it's two resistors of 500K = 250K.

DutchMF

If you have a variable resistor pot, putting a resistor across lugs 1 and 3 wont work, was what I meant........ Or am I completely mistaken? At work at the moment, so no time to double check. If I'm wrong about this, I'm sorry and will delete the mis-information.......

Paul