Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

When do you replace your soldering tip?

Started by billstein, December 01, 2013, 05:58:38 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

billstein

icecycle66

Not until the last possible moment.

My tips are usually no more than a nub slightly jutting out from the iron threads.
I even file the tip when it becomes to flat, like when it is got no taper left.  I know you aren't supposed to do that, but whatever; I get more use out of it that way.

pickdropper

Quote from: icecycle66 on December 01, 2013, 06:36:49 AM
Not until the last possible moment.

My tips are usually no more than a nub slightly jutting out from the iron threads.
I even file the tip when it becomes to flat, like when it is got no taper left.  I know you aren't supposed to do that, but whatever; I get more use out of it that way.

I would recommend getting a brass soldering tip cleaner.  They are cheap and make the tips last a lot longer.  I never use a wet sponge to clean my tips anymore.

http://www.amazon.com/Aoyue-Soldering-Cleaner-sponge-needed/dp/B005C789EU/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1385879887&sr=8-1&keywords=brass+soldering+iron+cleaner
Function f(x)
Follow me on Instagram as pickdropper

selfdestroyer

I use a Weller ETS conical tip and it can break down pretty quick if you are to aggressive with it when cleaning. I replace mine every 4-5 months.

rullywowr

I prefer a Weller ETA tip lately  8)

I'm with Pickdropper...as far as cleaning it goes, I find that a copper scrub pad (like for dishes) works well.  Of course you can spend some dough on the real deal copper or brass scrubber (hakko, Weller, etc) but even better you can often a similar replacement at the dollar store for cheap.  I attach it to my iron stand where the sponge normally goes with a spare alligator clip or two.  Works great, keeps the tip clean, and no water required.  I pretty much prefer it over the sponge and it does a great job of keeping a tip clean.

DIY Guitar Pedal PCB projects!

billstein

Thanks guys. I do use one of those brass cleaners. I've just noticed that lately the tip doesn't seem as easy to get as clean when I use it. I was thinking that it may be getting some small dips in it. It has been 7-8 months so it probably is time to get a new one.

gtr2

I use a brass ball as well.  Sometimes the brass does not get all the gunk that is left from burnt flux etc.  I use this (link) it makes the tip like new when you put some pressure on the hot tip in the compound and rotate it.

http://www.radioshack.com/product/index.jsp?productId=2062721

I've been using the same tip on my hakko 936 for at least two years now and I do an above average amount of soldering.

Josh
1776 EFFECTS STORE     
Contract PCB designer

jimilee

I use tip cleaner also, been using the same tip for a year now.
Pedal building is like the opposite of sex.  All the fun stuff happens before you get in the box.

jkokura

I also extend the life using some flux paste and some tinner on my tips. I usually go through 1-3 tips per year, and it depends on if I do lots or a little soldering. I would say that 1 tip should get you through many, many circuit boards. I use a Weller blue handle iron.

I used to use a cheap iron, and I went through tips much more quickly. I think the better your iron is, the more likely your tips will last, in conjunction with your care for them.

Jacob
JMK Pedals - Custom Pedal Creations
JMK PCBs *New Website*
pedal company - youtube - facebook - Used Pedals

rullywowr

It's true that better quality irons have better longer lasting tips, plus it is great to have a nice selection of tips out for different types of jobs.

A tip (excuse the pun) to make your tips last longer is when you are storing the iron after the session is done (or even if it is on in the holder for a while) is to make sure there is solder coating the tip before you put it in the holder.  This extra layer of solder helps give some protection from oxidation.

DIY Guitar Pedal PCB projects!

billstein

I love this forum. Thanks guys for all the help. I think I'll replace the tip and then start using that tip cleaner.

Gledison

Nice thread!
what about the tip "specs".? I've got a 35w soldering station and I think that the tip is not thin enough. I thought that the diameter of the tip (the part that goes into the iron) were standard but I was wrong :(
mine is 4mm in diameter with a 1mm conical tip.
any suggestion of a thin one that will make the work easier?
cheers
If i fart a lot,  it means that i'm a Gas expert ?

selfdestroyer

Quote from: selfdestroyer on December 01, 2013, 06:55:58 AM
I use a Weller ETS conical tip and it can break down pretty quick if you are to aggressive with it when cleaning. I replace mine every 4-5 months.

I guess I should clarify a little. I use the brass ball of scrubbies also but I found after 4-5 months the brass will start to break down the tip of the ETS conical tip since its so tiny and its also hallow inside. Hope that makes sense. I think I am going to try a ETA next time just for kicks. I got used to the ETS since I was modding a lot of game consoles a few years ago. I had to hit tinny little pads. lol

madbean

Maybe after 6 months? They definitely wear out after a while. I wonder if it is because the heating and cooling cycle weakens the metal....so it loses it insulation properties? I dunno.

I'm thinking of upgrading to a Hakko. They have one where the entire ceramic element is integrated into the tip and you can swap them on the fly. I think that is pretty awesome.

billstein

Quote from: madbean on December 04, 2013, 01:20:22 AM
Maybe after 6 months? They definitely wear out after a while. I wonder if it is because the heating and cooling cycle weakens the metal....so it loses it insulation properties? I dunno.

I'm thinking of upgrading to a Hakko. They have one where the entire ceramic element is integrated into the tip and you can swap them on the fly. I think that is pretty awesome.

That's the one I own. I have both the wedge shaped and pencil style tips and it only takes a few seconds to change them.