News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

PCB pad falling of :(

Started by Gledison, November 30, 2013, 04:52:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Gledison

Hey guys.
Was rewiring a pot and the pcb paf and a little of the rail came out! Picture attached. I was doing regular heating... Have u seen this before? Causes?
Thanks
If i fart a lot,  it means that i'm a Gas expert ?

davent

My guess is the heat of the iron probably resulted in the copper/fiberglass adhesive failure under the pad. Usually happens during reworking as it takes far longer heating with the iron, to remove the solder and get the lead out of the hole then a quick in & out when soldering the lead in initially. Had it happen on commercial boards as well as diy's.

dave
"If you always do what you always did- you always get what you always got." - Unknown

If my photos are missing again... they're hosted by photobucket... and as of 06/2017 being held hostage... to be continued?

Gledison

Quote from: davent on November 30, 2013, 05:08:10 PM
My guess is the heat of the iron probably resulted in the copper/fiberglass adhesive failure under the pad. Usually happens during reworking as it takes far longer heating with the iron, to remove the solder and get the lead out of the hole then a quick in & out when soldering the lead in initially. Had it happen on commercial boards as well as diy's.

dave
Damn it! Was thinking about gluing with superglue, but than i will never trust this board, soo back to the etching process!
Thanks mate

icecycle66

no need to trash the whole thing.  Just  solder the part direct to the trace.

rullywowr

Quote from: icecycle66 on November 30, 2013, 05:20:38 PM

Exactly. Looks like you can strip the wire longer and tie to the pad directly above. 

DIY Guitar Pedal PCB projects!

GermanCdn

Gledison, which iron/solder are you using?  If you've got the LKR iron from Banzai (I think I sent you the link) and the solder from Obi (still the best solder I've been able to find, sadly), you should be able to avoid this in the future.
The only known cure in the world for GAS is death.  That's my story, and I'm sticking to it.

Gledison

Quote from: GermanCdn on November 30, 2013, 06:12:42 PM
Gledison, which iron/solder are you using?  If you've got the LKR iron from Banzai (I think I sent you the link) and the solder from Obi (still the best solder I've been able to find, sadly), you should be able to avoid this in the future.
Hey man! Nope, im using a 35w that ive got from Bauhaus! Untill now, no problem! I think i puledl to hard the wires during de-soldering:(

Gledison

Quote from: icecycle66 on November 30, 2013, 05:20:38 PM
Mmmm, how? I have solder mask :-S

GermanCdn

Buy the one from banzai on your next order especially if you are doing etches.  Its got temp control, tips last forever and it us less than eleven euro

Sent from my GT-S7560M using Tapatalk

The only known cure in the world for GAS is death.  That's my story, and I'm sticking to it.

icecycle66

Just use a small flathead screwdriver, or tiny blade, and lightly scratch the mask off.

But for this application you can just solder your pot wire directly to whatever that is above your broken pad.

Gledison

hey guys,
I managed to solder a little "bridge" made of tinned wire and its working fine.
thanks for helping!