News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

SMD LEDs

Started by muddyfox, November 27, 2013, 01:20:51 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

muddyfox

So... still dipping my toes into SMD waters, I was wondering whether there was any difference to using LEDs as clipping diodes when it comes to SMD vs TH?

Other than SMDs being a tad harder to socket and experiment?  :)

croquet hoop

As long as the forward voltage is the same, they shouldn't be different.

muddyfox

Is there perhaps a folk-wisdom kind of a blanket statement out there that goes something like "all red LEDs are created (almost) equal" or "most of the time red LED is a red LED, whatever the package"?

My SMD LEDs are still on a slow boat so I can't really measure, I was just wondering whether there's some sort of general consensus as to the real life LEDs' FVD...

croquet hoop

What gives a LED its color is the type of semiconductor used. So, different semiconductor, different electrical properties. Same color, regardless of the package = similar properties.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Light-emitting_diode#Colors_and_materials

kothoma

Quote from: muddyfox on November 27, 2013, 03:06:42 PM
Is there perhaps a folk-wisdom kind of a blanket statement out there that goes something like "all red LEDs are created (almost) equal" or "most of the time red LED is a red LED, whatever the package"?

Yes. Compared to regular 3mm and 5mm LEDs there's just less plastic and wire, the semiconductor is the same.

But then there's MOJO VOODOO, so you never know.

muddyfox

excellent! thanks fellas!

now to find some with sik tonez...

culturejam

I believe the diffused LEDs are almost all the same inside. It's the water-clear LEDs that vary widely in forward voltage.
Partner and Product Developer at Function f(x).
My Personal Site with Effects Projects

muddyfox

ha, I was actually just wondering about that because it would appear that smd leds also come in different versions. i have some led strips labelled as 5050 and have no idea on the specs of the ones coming in from china. i guess i'll check the voltage anyways when they get here.

chromesphere

Good question muddy! I wouldnt hessitate using them. Also would be interesting to using them with a light plate, probably in strips?
Pedal Parts Shop              Youtube