News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

Post Your Most challenging/Impractical/Crazy Build Here

Started by Stomptown, November 27, 2013, 06:12:38 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Stomptown

After reading alanp's "because it's there" post and watching the video Gledison posted about the Radio Shack Optical Moneypit er uh I mean Tremolo I thought it would be cool to start a thread where we could post our most impractical/challenging/crazy builds. Really any build that you done and asked "did I really build that?" Anything goes really so pics and videos are welcome!

Here is mine. It is a Shoot the Moon tremolo in a 1590A designed so the 1590A takes up about the same amount of space as a 1590BB! :P I cannot imagine using it on my board (takes up too much space) or selling it (I put a lot of time into it). Not really sure why I built this thing other than for the challenge! I guess I will just hoard it for the time being!

alanp

That'd be good for putting at the top of the board -- most pedalboards have 30mm or so of border at the top.
"A man is not dead while his name is still spoken."
- Terry Pratchett
My OSHpark shared projects
My website

alanp

Hands down winner from my collection. The string ringer, AKA Lovetone Ring Stinger ring modulator clone.

The only really usable part, for most tunes normal people'd want to hear, is the octave fuzz, which makes it the world's most elaborate Octavia.
"A man is not dead while his name is still spoken."
- Terry Pratchett
My OSHpark shared projects
My website

Stomptown

Gledison

Quote from: Stomptown on November 27, 2013, 06:12:38 AM
After reading alanp's "because it's there" post and watching the video Gledison posted about the Radio Shack Optical Moneypit er uh I mean Tremolo I thought it would be cool to start a thread where we could post our most impractical builds. Anything goes really so pics and videos are welcome!

Here is mine. It is a Shoot the Moon tremolo in a 1590A designed so the 1590A takes up about the same amount of space as a 1590BB! :P I cannot imagine using it on my board (takes up too much space) or selling it (I put a lot of time into it). Not really sure why I built this thing other than for the challenge! I guess I will just hoard it for the time being!

I still dont have one! Just at my 3rd build! Yout tiny box looks great! I really like, and u manged to put all components inside neatlY! Thumbs up!!
If i fart a lot,  it means that i'm a Gas expert ?

LaceSensor

Quote from: alanp on November 27, 2013, 06:40:19 AM

Hands down winner from my collection. The string ringer, AKA Lovetone Ring Stinger ring modulator clone.

The only really usable part, for most tunes normal people'd want to hear, is the octave fuzz, which makes it the world's most elaborate Octavia.

Oh I dunno it has loads of amazing sounds.
With ring mod it's more about getting the right blend, and tuning.
I love it with clean sounds on about a 10% blend adds loads of texture.

Having said that the octave fuzz is amazing. I wish I could make just that part of the circuit on its own, it's killer.

Ettore_M

If I found any photos of it, maybe I'll post a Beavis FuzzLab Jr. that I built a couple years ago, when I was still a noob! A huge build (10 knobs and 2 switches, excluding the footswitch) and a huge overkill, but you can get some awesome tones from it. Like really awesome! :)

Hector
" I would first try what I call The American Approach, which is simply this: "If X is good, then 2X simply HAS TO BE twice as good."  ;D "
- Culturejam

midwayfair

This one was definitely done solely for the challenge:

I don't use reverb pedals on my board, and fitting a belton brick on perf inside the 1590A was just way too much work.

pickdropper

I don't know if it was impractical as much as unnecessary.  But it definitely was done for the challenge.

My 1590a 2-in-1 build with a Shoot the Moon trem and Little Angel chorus.  It was bad enough fitting the 6 pots in there, but the full-sized 3PDT toggle was what made it really challenging.  Just a ton of wiring, and the wire had to be long enough that it could be maneuvered a bit and stuffed.

Upon completion, I swore I'd never do another one.  I've softened on that a little, but not much.

Function f(x)
Follow me on Instagram as pickdropper

Stomptown

Impractical is a little limiting so I updated the post to include mist challenging and just crazy builds!

Gledison

Quote from: pickdropper on November 27, 2013, 01:55:48 PM
I don't know if it was impractical as much as unnecessary.  But it definitely was done for the challenge.

My 1590a 2-in-1 build with a Shoot the Moon trem and Little Angel chorus.  It was bad enough fitting the 6 pots in there, but the full-sized 3PDT toggle was what made it really challenging.  Just a ton of wiring, and the wire had to be long enough that it could be maneuvered a bit and stuffed.

Upon completion, I swore I'd never do another one.  I've softened on that a little, but not much.

Wow! This is just great! Maybe would fit only with SMd right?! ;)
If i fart a lot,  it means that i'm a Gas expert ?

pickdropper

Yeah, I used both sides of the board, so SMT made a lot more sense.  There are a few through-hole parts on there and I had to be careful they didn't poke through the other circuit.
Function f(x)
Follow me on Instagram as pickdropper

sonarchotic

Quote from: pickdropper on November 27, 2013, 01:55:48 PM

That's just f'n bonkers, in a good way!

Govmnt_Lacky

I would have to say that my most challenging... rewarding... and most underused build is a two way tie....

Either my Ludwig Phase 2 clone or my Lovetone ??Flanger. Havent used either in a LONG time  :-[

Both were an S.O.B. to build but, the most rewarding when completed!  8)

jimilee

I've got  causality that is completed and still doesn't sound right. It's huge with about  knobs. The phasing is more v like than a smooth arch. Beast of a build.
Pedal building is like the opposite of sex.  All the fun stuff happens before you get in the box.