News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

No socket required.

Started by GrindCustoms, November 26, 2013, 10:14:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

GrindCustoms

Madbean's Collosalus.

Freaking badass Flanger once everything is corrected.

Thanks to Jeremy Spencley (TributeAudio on here i think) for the tips for the power diodes.

I was getting a good clock noise even after lowering the clock frequency cap by A LOT. He simply chimed in on facebook telling me to use Schotky diodes instead of 1N4001 for the DC barrier after the charge pump, worked flawlessly!

Was able to use the 47pf cap for clock cap, the sound is so similar to the Ross that i got from CJ, it's fantastic! :mrgreen:

Really happy of this one.

In the guts pic, the 2 diodes are not updated.

Killing Unicorns, day after day...

Building a better world brick by brick:https://rebrickable.com/users/GrindingBricks/mocs/

lincolnic

alanp

Might have to go back and have a fourth crack at it. Didn't occur to me to change the clock cap  :-[ :-[ (this is after a ADA flange working for me)
"A man is not dead while his name is still spoken."
- Terry Pratchett
My OSHpark shared projects
My website

chromesphere

Pedal Parts Shop              Youtube

Govmnt_Lacky

Quote from: GrindCustoms on November 26, 2013, 10:14:44 PM
Thanks to Jeremy Spencley (TributeAudio on here i think) for the tips for the power diodes.

I was getting a good clock noise even after lowering the clock frequency cap by A LOT. He simply chimed in on facebook telling me to use Schotky diodes instead of 1N4001 for the DC barrier after the charge pump, worked flawlessly!

Is this mentioned in the build doc? Might want to get Brian on the case for a doc mod  8)

GrindCustoms

Thanks guys :)

Quote from: chromesphere on November 27, 2013, 10:58:17 AM
Confidence! I like it :)

All of the IC's where tested prior to being soldered, there's a limit at being crazy..hehe.

Quote from: Govmnt_Lacky on November 27, 2013, 12:09:08 PM

Is this mentioned in the build doc? Might want to get Brian on the case for a doc mod  8)

The frequency cap of the clock is mentionned in the build doc, but not the diodes.

Jer told me the info was found on here.

Building a better world brick by brick:https://rebrickable.com/users/GrindingBricks/mocs/

jvg13

evildead222

I like the finish too, I end up doing a lot of my pedals with the road worn look.  Sometimes i sandpaper it then put a clear coat over it.

DutchMF

Rej, you know how I feel about your work, and this kicks balls!!!!!! (again.....) I'll PM you this weekend dude, been putting it of for too long.....

Paul
"If you can't stand the heat, stay away from the soldering iron!"

Shrtyska9

If its replacing d4 and d5 it is mentioned in the build doc in red text on page 3.

Sent from my VM670 using Tapatalk 2

Richard

GrindCustoms

Quote from: Shrtyska9 on November 27, 2013, 07:57:24 PM
If its replacing d4 and d5 it is mentioned in the build doc in red text on page 3.

Sent from my VM670 using Tapatalk 2

Haha! Awesome...i'm just dumb...! ;D

Quote from: jvg13 on November 27, 2013, 12:20:30 PM

Was able to use the 47pf cap for clock cap, the sound is so similar to the Ross that i got from CJ, it's fantastic! :mrgreen:

Really nice.  I dig the finish.

Not familiar with the Ross flanger, but I believe they basically ripped off most of their circuits from MXR (with the odd enhancement, like with their version of the Dyna Comp).

I think the principal designer of the MXR 117 would have been Richard Neatrour, the MXR engineer (I think I read somewhere he was the main man for effects like this one.  Tony Gambacurta was the other engineer employed from the outset of
MXR, working with the founders Keith Barr and Terry Sherwood... you often read Michael Laiacona was a third founder, but I gather that's not true.  He just got involved for a year or two as the self appointed sales man).

Quote from: alanp on November 27, 2013, 04:21:31 AM
Might have to go back and have a fourth crack at it. Didn't occur to me to change the clock cap  :-[ :-[ (this is after a ADA flange working for me)

I had to get surprisingly precise with the clock cap value (using caps in parallel).  I didn't include the charge pump (18v dc supply instead).  I think I posted my build and findings on here, not sure.

Thanks for the background info sir, much appreciated. Like those insiders.

GrindCustoms

Quote from: DutchMF on November 27, 2013, 07:35:34 PM
Rej, you know how I feel about your work, and this kicks balls!!!!!! (again.....) I'll PM you this weekend dude, been putting it of for too long.....

Paul

Thanks Paul, contact me by email if you wish too, more reliable than private message.;)

grindcustoms at gmail dot com

Quote from: evildead222 on November 27, 2013, 07:15:00 PM
I like the finish too, I end up doing a lot of my pedals with the road worn look.  Sometimes i sandpaper it then put a clear coat over it.

Cool, it's a fairly easy way to finish enclosures and it's attractive to me, so why not! :)

mcalaff

Nice job!

I made one recently but I need to re-adjust the trimpots (difficult for me find the hot spots) to get the best sound. Currently I have volume loss in my unit.

Shrtyska9

[/quote]

Hey man its easy to overlook things.
I was just putting my pork barrel together having got my tayda order today to realize i forgot the 100uf caps.
Richard

GrindCustoms

Quote from: Shrtyska9 on November 28, 2013, 02:35:08 AM

Hey man its easy to overlook things.
I was just putting my pork barrel together having got my tayda order today to realize i forgot the 100uf caps.
[/quote]

Indeed, especially when you populate loads of pcb every night.... ::)