News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

Optical Tremolo :P

Started by Gledison, November 26, 2013, 09:16:24 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Gledison

Hey Guys, Could we use such a technique for other kind of effects ???
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=31pgOcLlCo0

Cheers
If i fart a lot,  it means that i'm a Gas expert ?

kothoma

Sure, you could use this idea for any LFO (tremolo, phaser/vibe, chorus, flanger, younameit).
But any LFO based on a TL062 will be smaller and draw less current.

Gledison

Quote from: kothoma on November 26, 2013, 09:21:53 PM
Sure, you could use this idea for any LFO (tremolo, phaser/vibe, chorus, flanger, younameit).
ahha, that's cool.
maybe in a flanger would give some interesting sounds...

midwayfair

Good god that's a lot of effort for a crappy implementation. Hacksawing pots? Filing the shafts to make the knob fit properly?

WTF. Just carry usable parts, Radio Shack!

kothoma

Didn't watch the video, only had a random FFW to 0:40 and thought that said it all, so I missed the Radio Shack angle...

Gledison

Quote from: midwayfair on November 26, 2013, 09:25:10 PM
Good god that's a lot of effort for a crappy implementation. Hacksawing pots? Filing the shafts to make the knob fit properly?

WTF. Just carry usable parts, Radio Shack!
huahuah! These guys are always sawing the pots...don't know why they don't get the short ones...ahahah.
ITs crap I know, just found different from what I've seen...

pickdropper

Sometimes the pots you want are just not available in short shaft.

I've had that problem with some of the higher end Alps pots in the past.  Hacksaw to the rescue.

On some of my 1590a builds, I put side knobs, but I mount them closer to the side, which requires me to file down the pot shaft (and drill out some of the knob.  It never stops not being fun.
Function f(x)
Follow me on Instagram as pickdropper

kothoma

I remember hacksawing the shaft of a reverse logarithic dual alpha pot as it was ~5mm higher than the regular ones.

RobA

Quote from: kothoma on November 26, 2013, 09:21:53 PM
And you can use an ATTiny84 and get more control over the patterns and still draw about the same amount of current as an op-amp based LFO.

The spinny disk version is still cool though.
Affiliations: Music Unfolding (musicunfolding.com), software based effects and Rockā€¢it Frog (rock.it-frog.com), DIY effects (coming soon).

alanp

Lovetone used LED/LDR's in damn near everything. LDR's have a lot going for them -- low noise, plus the history effect smooths out any sharpness in the waveform a bit (or a lot, depending on what you use.)

That said, the sheer mechanicalness of the OP's link would make me worry. Can you imagine taking that out anywhere?
"A man is not dead while his name is still spoken."
- Terry Pratchett
My OSHpark shared projects
My website

Stomptown

After watching that video I couldn't help but wonder how much it would cost to build that tremolo using all radio shack parts and supplies!   :P

electrosonic

They mixed up how an ldr works...

Andrew

alanp

Yeah, I can't help but also wonder how much light pollution is affecting the LDR.
"A man is not dead while his name is still spoken."
- Terry Pratchett
My OSHpark shared projects
My website

brejna

Maybe it goes bit from the topic but I have to share it with you guys :)
This is mine try on phase 90 with few mods and optical speed control that I build for fun
Hope you like it :D
Brane

hoodoo

;D Wow, that was a great demo and a great sounding phaser with cool mods. I think you should start a new post with pics and build details on your mods mate, i bet that there are alot of people that hang around here, who would love to know, all the best, Matt