News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

NPD and corrosion question

Started by icecycle66, November 26, 2013, 12:49:19 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

icecycle66

Check out this sweetheart I got a good price on at the pawn shop.
I talked the guy down because when I opened it up I saw a bunch of corrosion, which may be the cause of the faint crackling when the pedal is on.

What is the safest (for the circuit components) and most effective way of cleaning corrosion like this in the first pic.

davent

Looks to just be flux, you could use isopropyl alcohol to remove it.
dave
"If you always do what you always did- you always get what you always got." - Unknown

If my photos are missing again... they're hosted by photobucket... and as of 06/2017 being held hostage... to be continued?

icecycle66

Quote from: davent on November 26, 2013, 01:07:06 AM
Looks to just be flux, you could use isopropyl alcohol to remove it.
dave

All that green fuzzy stuff?

davent

Reminds me of the efflorescence on my basement walls. Is it possible something may have been spilled into the pedal? Again i'd be tempted to try the alcohol for cleanup.
"If you always do what you always did- you always get what you always got." - Unknown

If my photos are missing again... they're hosted by photobucket... and as of 06/2017 being held hostage... to be continued?

icecycle66

rullywowr

The corrosion could def have something to do with it however I would suggest replacing all the electro caps in there for starters if you are keeping this for yourself and aren't hung up on keeping it 100% original.

I'm sure they are dried out and have lost their filtering capabilities.  It's amazing to see how far technology has come...look at the size of those 470uF 35v caps!

DIY Guitar Pedal PCB projects!

icecycle66

I'm not usually a stickler for keeping things all original, so long as it works.

However, I have a thing for these old tel-ray pedals so I don' want to replace any parts if I don't have to.

But I will keep the capacitor idea in mind if a few other things don't have work.

lincolnic

I have nothing worthwhile to add to this conversation, but I find "AUTO-FOOT" really entertaining.

alanp

Has that circuit been traced? Either way, I wouldn't go near Jimilee if I were you... you might lose a finger ;)

Not that I can talk!
"A man is not dead while his name is still spoken."
- Terry Pratchett
My OSHpark shared projects
My website