News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

Where to find best Enclosure prices Canada?

Started by wretched, November 24, 2013, 05:43:46 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

wretched

Anyone here know where to find the best prices to Canada. I found some on ebay that are about $10 shipped with 2 3pdt switches. But they are raw unfinished and the last one had a stripped bolt hole. I really like the ones I got from mammoth, but they charge more for shipping than the enclosure.

Thanks

Stomptown

GermanCdn

You're kind of up the creek due to shipping prices :'(.  But wait til this weekend, as last year mammoth had free shipping and 25% off last black friday.  Otherwise, the cheapest unfinished enclosures are from Tayda, the shipping prices from both PPP and mammoth are brutal to Canada.
The only known cure in the world for GAS is death.  That's my story, and I'm sticking to it.

Stomptown

Quote from: GermanCdn on November 24, 2013, 05:57:16 AM
You're kind of up the creek due to shipping prices :'(.  But wait til this weekend, as last year mammoth had free shipping and 25% off last black friday.  Otherwise, the cheapest unfinished enclosures are from Tayda, the shipping prices from both PPP and mammoth are brutal to Canada.

Just realize that there is a possibility that your mammoth order could take a while to show up if they do the free shipping for black Friday. My order took about a month to show up last Black Friday sale. I'm not trying to discourage you from using them. Free shipping is free shipping and it sounds like your best option. Just want to give you the heads up. My hope is that they are more prepared (if they do it) this year...

If you watch the forum you will also find threads announcing 15% off discount codes for Tayda (one just ended today  :'( ). These can add up quick if you buy a lot of stuff. And oh yeah, they are super cheap if you want to stock up on caps and resistors. You can find the discount codes on their facebook page as well..

For what it is worth, Pedal Parts Plus has the best powder coated enclosure by far. It's a bummer that shipping is so high for you Northies. If I use mammoth or others I just buy bare enclosures...

electrosonic

If you order 10 Hammond 1590Bs from digikey.ca they are $6.76 each + $8 shipping so about $75 or $ 7.50 each. Not sure if the shipping is guaranteed overnight, but the couple of times I ordered from digikey my order came the next day (to Vancouver) via Purolator. (Haven't priced the powder coated Hammonds either)

If you order 10 1590B knock-offs from Tayda they cost $5.99 but the shipping is $12, so they work out to $7.18 each, but they take about 3 weeks to arrive and the quality is not quite up to the standard of Hammond.

Another option - I have been pretty happy with the machined enclosures from the Tone God
http://thetonegod.com/store/index.php?main_page=index&cPath=8_9_10

A couple of bucks more per enclosure and no drilling.

Andrew.

PimpMyTone

You can buy genuine hammond enclosure for 5$ a 1590b here in montreal .
Simon

davent

Tip Top in Winnipeg have them for $6.03, never in stock but get them out in a week or two. Electrosonic, a few across the country, $6.12- 6.30, again not much stock but they get them out fast. Last time i ordered from either of them shipping was about the same whether shipped from Winnipeg or Toronto to Hamilton.

http://www.e-sonic.com/acc/products.aspx?partID=1590B&partIDExt=195&command=detail
http://www.tiptopelectronics.com/home.asp?ProdDetail=1590B

I do lots of ordering with Digikey (as mentioned above) so that's where i usually get them,  order by 8pm central time  you get your order the next (business) day. $8 shipping unless you spend more then $200 then shippings free.  Digikey collect any necessary Canadian sales taxes, brokerage is also covered so once you pay them there are no doorside surprises. You can't beat Digikey for service, they take very good care of us Canadian customers.
"If you always do what you always did- you always get what you always got." - Unknown

If my photos are missing again... they're hosted by photobucket... and as of 06/2017 being held hostage... to be continued?

pickdropper

Quote from: Stomptown on November 24, 2013, 07:09:16 AM
Quote from: GermanCdn on November 24, 2013, 05:57:16 AM

Just realize that there is a possibility that your mammoth order could take a while to show up if they do the free shipping for black Friday. My order took about a month to show up last Black Friday sale. I'm not trying to discourage you from using them. Free shipping is free shipping and it sounds like your best option. Just want to give you the heads up. My hope is that they are more prepared (if they do it) this year...

If you watch the forum you will also find threads announcing 15% off discount codes for Tayda (one just ended today  :'( ). These can add up quick if you buy a lot of stuff. And oh yeah, they are super cheap if you want to stock up on caps and resistors. You can find the discount codes on their facebook page as well..

For what it is worth, Pedal Parts Plus has the best powder coated enclosure by far. It's a bummer that shipping is so high for you Northies. If I use mammoth or others I just buy bare enclosures...

The powder coat finishes from Pedal Parts Plus are also significantly less prone to chipping than the Mammoth enclosures, at least from my experience.

Right now, there is a 10% off deal at PPP.  That might help offset the shipping a bit.
Function f(x)
Follow me on Instagram as pickdropper

jkokura

I have avoided answering yet because I had to think about how best to say this.

I've never been given a reason significant enough for me to NOT order from Pedal Parts Plus. Between their service, their quality of product, and their long-standing relationship with the DIY community, I have no reason not to buy from them.

But that said, I recognize their shipping rates are high.

What we must remember is that we're shipping hollow boxes of metal. They are heavy, take up space, and are expensive to start with. Considering these factors, any place we get them will end up costing. If I could find a local place that could powdercoat boxes, I might get them in bulk, but the problem is then getting the variety and quality of finishes and sizes that PPP has. Can't get that local. Can't find that anywhere in Canada.

There's my two Nickels (we don't have pennies in Canada anymore).

Jacob
JMK Pedals - Custom Pedal Creations
JMK PCBs *New Website*
pedal company - youtube - facebook - Used Pedals

playpunk

I have purchased enclosures from PPP and mammoth, and I will never get mammoth enclosures again.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
"my legend grows" - playpunk

Stomptown

Quote from: playpunk on November 24, 2013, 09:53:49 PM
I have purchased enclosures from PPP and mammoth, and I will never get mammoth enclosures again.

I'm guessing you had issues with the quality of their powder-coating? Their black textured are okay but everything else I've tried is sub-par. PPP is leagues above them. I will order them bare from mammoth if I end up ordering through them...

playpunk

Yup. PPP is just so much better.

"my legend grows" - playpunk

alanp

Quote from: jkokura on November 24, 2013, 09:38:35 PM
There's my two Nickels (we don't have pennies in Canada anymore).

Jacob

Sorry to butt in... but what do you mean by nickel? The only nickel I know of is in nicad batteries (nickle-cadmium) ?
"A man is not dead while his name is still spoken."
- Terry Pratchett
My OSHpark shared projects
My website

davent

^Nickel's just a coin worth 5 cents. And they may have even been made of nickel at one time.

"If you always do what you always did- you always get what you always got." - Unknown

If my photos are missing again... they're hosted by photobucket... and as of 06/2017 being held hostage... to be continued?

alanp

Weird. They're just called five cent pieces, here. I'm not sure if we even HAVE 5c coins anymore.
"A man is not dead while his name is still spoken."
- Terry Pratchett
My OSHpark shared projects
My website