News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

Cupcake question - Square Capacitors?

Started by casssax, November 23, 2013, 09:30:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

casssax

I just built my first Madbean pedal, the Cupcake Orange Squeezer compressor.

I noticed that on the pcb there are outlines of the components and some of the capacitors are square while others are oval shaped.

For example C1 and C2 are both listed as 47n but C1 is shown as square and C2 is oval.

Should I have bought different types of caps for those two? Do the shapes indicate different types of caps?

Thanks.

P.S. The pedal sounds great. I thought I had done something wrong when I first tried it but I just had to adjust the trim pot correctly. 

I got some great help from this blog about the pedal and the trim pot.
http://www.jurimusic.com/2013/06/the-madbean-cupcake-diy-orange-squeezer.html

croquet hoop

Quote from: casssax on November 23, 2013, 09:30:19 PMDo the shapes indicate different types of caps?

In this case, no, don't worry about it, just use whatever 47n caps you intended to use.

Film caps are available in several shapes, such as box caps (C1's shape) or "chiclet" caps (C2), this may be why both shaped ended up on the silkscreen for the same cap value.

jkokura

I think you don't need to worry as much about the silkscreen. If the build notes don't mention anything, usually it just ends up being a diffence in how the part is represented, not an actual part difference. What I mean is, the silkscreen is just a placeholder, it doesn't necessarily hold meaning beyond a representation of the part's layout and location.

Don't worry about it. Use either chicklet or box types, either will work fine.

Jacob
JMK Pedals - Custom Pedal Creations
JMK PCBs *New Website*
pedal company - youtube - facebook - Used Pedals

jimilee

I couldn't help but notice, there aren't any pictures of said finished pedal..... :P
Pedal building is like the opposite of sex.  All the fun stuff happens before you get in the box.

casssax

Here are some pics. I guess my drill slipped when I was drilling the pilot holes so the level pot is a little off center.

I was going to put an orange led on it (ended up using red) but when I received them I found I had ordered tiny LED's that were about half the normal size and didn't fit in the bezel I had.

I'm still waiting for some knobs to arrive.

One question:

In the blog I linked to above it had a bit about measuring the voltage of the trim pot.

Quote"...the schematic shows an arrow pointing to the place where the trimpot, 24k resistor, 4u7 cap and gate of the secondary FET are tied to the source of the principle FET. The schematic indicates that, with a 9v supply, this trimpot should be adjusted to read between +1.5 and +1.7 vdc. Obviously you can take that reading at any of the aforementioned components where your probe conveniently fits."

Where on the board would I take those measurements? (I have the 05.2012 version of the PCB)

Thanks.

ggarms

Even went for the top joints! nice work man.