News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

For those interested in Tayda's Momentary DPDT foot switches....

Started by pickdropper, November 20, 2013, 07:25:46 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

nieradka

Ive never had a problem with tayda caps. Greenies or box film. At least 95% (usually 100%) will be in spec. For values I use alot of like 100n, I get from mouser by the 100, but the rest ive been getting from tayda. Pots seem fine. The resistor leads are thin, but i havent had any issues, i order most of my metal film through them.

Their latching dpdt stomps are crap though. I just got 10 of them, and I will have to order from somewhere else. They have a rough action. Dont seem that sturdy. And the big solder lugs coming off the side take up alot of real estate. Does anyone have a good inexpensive source for these? Are "bitcheslovemyswitches.com" any better? Ive gotten 3pdt stomps from other places, but they look, and feel, like the same ones tayda sells. Are there better ones that arent hugely more expensive?

I have to also keep costs down, One because I dont have alot of money for the hobby, and two at some point if its costing me 40USD instead of 12-15USD to make a pedal, its probably not worth it. And im not going to experiment as much. Tayda is often the compromise of crappiness versus cost. 

pickdropper

I should have been more specific about the caps; I don't like their ceramic disc caps and I don't trust their electros.  Greenies and box are safe enough.  I can get better box caps for not much more from Mouser, so I usually do that now.

As far as buying cheaper parts because it allows you to build more, that is a practical decision that is certainly yours to make, particularly if they are for your use; it really boils down to the value of your time swapping out parts.  I wouldn't give anybody a hard time for experimenting with cheap parts;  I've certainly done it.

If you are building for other people, I would suggest that it might be worth the $40 a pedal for less hassle and a better reputation.  Besides, for that, you could work the cost into your pricing.
Function f(x)
Follow me on Instagram as pickdropper

croquet hoop

Regarding "better" 3PDTs, Alpha's are really fine. Twice the price of the cheap ones you can get everywhere, so you might not be interested, but the action is really great.

muddyfox

Would you happen to have a source for those that doesn't stick you with $50 in shipping cost? I'd love to upgrade my 3pdts but I don't know which ebay sellers can be trusted (or even banzai and musikding for that matter)...

davent

Ordered a few of the various stomp switches with the last coupon offer, that order hasn't arrived yet, maybe i'll get lucky and it won't show.

For 3pdt the only other ones i've tried are the ones sold in the store at diystompboxes, i believe each switch is tested before being shipped out and they do appear to be manufactured to more exacting standards. Easier to actuate too. Favourite are the Alpha DPDT's i've bought from Small Bear.

Not hard to tell which is which. and I haven't bought recently from diy.

"If you always do what you always did- you always get what you always got." - Unknown

If my photos are missing again... they're hosted by photobucket... and as of 06/2017 being held hostage... to be continued?

chromesphere

I totally agree with everything pickdropper has said.  I think people have to understand, generally speaking, tayda are not about quality.  They source the cheapest parts they can find.  "We need bat41's" "ok these ones are 10c a piece" "what brand are they, where are they coming from?" "who cares, their 10c each!".  Quality or reputable brand names aren't even on their radar.  Thats just how they operate and you take the pluses with the minuses...Sure, their pots are great, and if they didn't have those 9mm pots they would still be off the menu for me.  Big thumbs up there.  Same with other bits and pieces.  But im increasingly noticing many of their components are cheap alternatives.  IC's and transistors from companies, at least, i have never heard of...Davies clone knob grub screws that thread without any effort what so ever.  You know the rest. (1n34a's, resistors with filmsy leads etc etc).
Pedal Parts Shop              Youtube

hoodoo

http://myworld.ebay.com.au/easebon/&_trksid=p3984.m1497.l2754
I've bought a couple of lots of these 3pdt's  from the ebayer above, and they have all worked great,good quality, cheaper than tayda and free shipping.

chromesphere

Thanks for the link hoodoo, those black ones look pretty cool.  Have you tried those?

hoodoo

Hey Paul, no, i've stuck with the  good old blue ones, creature of habit  ;)

chromesphere

pickdropper

Quote from: davent on November 20, 2013, 11:30:59 PM
Ordered a few of the various stomp switches with the last coupon offer, that order hasn't arrived yet, maybe i'll get lucky and it won't show.

For 3pdt the only other ones i've tried are the ones sold in the store at diystompboxes, i believe each switch is tested before being shipped out and they do appear to be manufactured to more exacting standards. Easier to actuate too. Favourite are the Alpha DPDT's i've bought from Small Bear.

Not hard to tell which is which. and I haven't bought recently from diy.

Pedal Parts Plus also sells the Alpha switches for $3.50 each.  I like them as well.  The actuation is a bit stiffer, but they look and feel like they are built decently well.
Function f(x)

croquet hoop

Quote from: pickdropper on November 21, 2013, 02:04:13 PMPedal Parts Plus also sells the Alpha switches for $3.50 each.  I like them as well.  The actuation is a bit stiffer, but they look and feel like they are built decently well.

Oh, good call on PPP. I'm trying to get rid of 3PDT's altogether, but if I need them I'll get Alpha's from there, much more interesting than Mouser.

Clayford

Quote from: hoodoo on November 21, 2013, 02:39:43 AM
http://myworld.ebay.com.au/easebon/&_trksid=p3984.m1497.l2754
I've bought a couple of lots of these 3pdt's  from the ebayer above, and they have all worked great,good quality, cheaper than tayda and free shipping.

Thank you very much for that link!
head solder jockey, part time cook: cranky&jaded

davent

My jelly switches as well as a couple latching DPDT's showed up this week. The jellies have tiny solder tabs that will take 26awg solid core but 24awg stranded  has to be mashed flat to get into the hole. The latching's tabs you can easily thread 22awg stranded through and no raspberry jelly distraction.

"If you always do what you always did- you always get what you always got." - Unknown

If my photos are missing again... they're hosted by photobucket... and as of 06/2017 being held hostage... to be continued?

pickdropper

The latching switches look much nicer.  Probably from a different vendor.
Function f(x)