News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

3PDT Stomp Switch Help

Started by wretched, November 19, 2013, 06:35:52 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

wretched

So I have my Mudbunny running and finally tried and tried with these darn switches.

I ended up just getting the 1776 3PDT Boards, But still no good, I think the Switches might have melted on me. I got upset and tore apart the switches. I wanted to check if the poles inside were fried.

I found one pole on each switch was melted and pulled out a little. I have one more Switch (new) and about 8 3PDT Boards.

If the switch is a little melted would this case the no sound issue. Of the 2 I tried 1 gave me no sound at all (it was the top center pole that was melted) and then the other was just a loud screeching noise, that I could change the tone and volume when on (Right side middle pole)

Thanks

muddyfox

It's easy to find out whether your switch is operational. Break out your DMM, set it to continuity and measure whether the appropriate pins get shorted/open when you flip the switch. It's easy to overheat the pin and have it fall out so if you have a soldering iron with temperature control consider upping the temperature, get in quick and get out quick.
If your upper middle pin is fried it would certainly cause the no sound issue as you'd have no connectivity to output jack. Does the LED ever come on?
I'm not sure I understand your description of the second part?

rullywowr

Exactly.  When soldering to a 3pdt use a higher temp and don't spend more than around 3 seconds making a connection if possible.

DIY Guitar Pedal PCB projects!

wretched

I am sure they were both fried. I am going to try the new one tonight.

I did not have an LED is they going to be a problem? should I bridge something?

rullywowr

No problem not having a led. Just leave the led row empty. You can add one later.

wretched

The Second Switch gave me a strange sound that I can only describe as a "theremin" sound. All the pots worked as they should just that I had a constant sound that I could turn up or down and change the tone. This was always on even without the guitar being plugged in.

I pulled it apart and just connected the input and output directly and it sounds fine.

wretched

Its alive!!! I put together a Bacon Bits and then realized I was missing 1 cap. So I built my third Mudbunny and it all came together perfectly. Finished the soldering and plugged it in and it worked first time. Im sooo happy with this.

rullywowr

Quote from: wretched on November 19, 2013, 07:19:50 PM
The Second Switch gave me a strange sound that I can only describe as a "theremin" sound. All the pots worked as they should just that I had a constant sound that I could turn up or down and change the tone. This was always on even without the guitar being plugged in.

I pulled it apart and just connected the input and output directly and it sounds fine.

Glad you got it working. The "knobs always active" sounds like you may have reversed the in/out to the 3pdt.