News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

king slayer out put promblems

Started by Mr. Bro, November 16, 2013, 06:29:33 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mr. Bro

Hi, my name is Michael or Mr. Bro on the forum. I've built a King slayer, I went buffered fyi. It sounds great, but i have two issues. First, it has a retarded amount of output my knob is at 7 o'clock (or to where signal begins) and it will blow your hair back! It also controls my amp volume, even when not engaged. Even with all other knobs also at 7, it's simply unusable.
  Second, I mounted my defused 3mm red leds to the face so I'd have a visually cool look. but they only work when its quote, motor boating. I'm very new, i think the Klon is my 5th build, thx.  :'(
ps So i read some and have doubled checked values for resistors r9-11,15,19,21-23 all are correct. Did not sub out any values to my knowledge. I'm am in the process of trouble shooting, but would really like some feed back.

rullywowr

Sounds like your bypass wiring to the 3pdt is messed up. Check that because the knobs shouldn't do anything when it's bypassed.

DIY Guitar Pedal PCB projects!

Mr. Bro

I've unboxed effect, still does same thing. did find my double gain pot was wired backwards on one set of legs, corrected. but problem is unchanged. I find that my 390pf and 470pf are much smaller than others shown.

rullywowr

Those small pF caps are normal. They are tiny!   Seriously though if you are hearing volume changes and the effect is bypassed it means the 3pdt wiring is suspect or you have a solder bridge. The kingslayer wiring is unique vs a standard build.

DIY Guitar Pedal PCB projects!

Mr. Bro

I followed the off board wiring page 6 of kingslayer build guide. Should i may do it true bypass, as a test? I'll do that!
what about the leds not lighting, unless they are "motor boating"? by the way thxs so much for your response! told my wife I'm not build another pelad till I the two i'm having issues with finished, lol.

midwayfair

Your LEDs won't necessarily light, unfortunately. You could maybe use the LEDs for the soft clippers instead of one of the sets of hard clippers, but even there they won't necessarily work.

You said that your effect is motorboating even when you're in LED clipping mode? Are you certain you're not in a diode lift setting? Where is the gain set when it motorboats?

If you turn the gain all the way down, is the effect completely clean? The pedal's total output is quite high, but with the gain at 0, unity volume should be around 11:00 on the Volume control. With the gain at max, then it's perfectly possible that even the lowest setting on the volume will be louder than unity. An audio taper for the volume pot will help a little, but this really isn't the sort of pedal that's made to be run with the gain cranked and the volume at minimum. It's a boost with some extra stuff, made to push a tube amp into its own distortion.

By the way, you say "at 7 oclock" ... do you mean that if you have the volume knob at its minimum that you still have sound?

Your volume pot controlling the volume when in bypass indicates that your footswitch is wired wrong, OR you have a solder bridge in the lower left of the PCB. I did that once myself. Pictures would keep us from speculating about what's not correctly connected.

Mr. Bro

Yea, I did try posting some pics of project. Says file is too large, still cutting my teeth on forum, any help is welcome, lol.
While rewiring 3 pdt, one of the legs pulled completely out. So I went back buffered for giggles. Will try again today and let you guys know.
So LEDs May or May not light? That's disappointing, kinda focused on that on this build. Will try in different positions.
Thanks for all the help, will carry on!

Mr. Bro

Got it!!!! Had a dry joint on double gain to the board, made a jumper to the next connection and good. Still has insane amount volume but it's controllable.
Would still like more feed back on led issue but I now have working klon!!! And omg does it sound great!