News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

Review: Dollar Store Poster Tack - Yellow (Blue Tac)

Started by rullywowr, November 15, 2013, 03:25:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

rullywowr

Anytime I find something that can help me build my pedals easier, I jump on it.  That goes double if I am at the Dollar Store.  I use Bluetac all the time to help hold components while soldering (great tip from the bean).  There are other brands in the US by Elmers, and Loctite as well that I used with good results.  They are all blue in color FWIW.

Any-who, I tried the 99c version of "Poster Tack" at the dollar store which was yellow in color.  Seemed to work fine at first, however it ended up melting into a gooey mess which resulted in fragments of it getting jammed in the leads of the resistors I was using it on.  Quite the pain in the ass to dig this crap out too.

The moral of the story is to make sure you only get the BLUE poster tack regardless of the brand (BluTac, Elmers, Loctite).  The yellow stuff makes a mess even though it is cheap.  Blue stuff holds together well and makes it a breeze to get those resistors flat on the board and stop you from burning your fingers.

DIY Guitar Pedal PCB projects!

muddyfox

interesting. i've been using yellow stuff (uhu brand) simply because there's nothing else to buy around here. i never even heard of the blue stuff until i started building pedals. no issues with the yellow stuff, though..

jkokura

Make sure you go with the sky blue stuff. I tried some cobalt blue, and some navy blue, and neither were as good plus they were more expensive.

Jacob
JMK Pedals - Custom Pedal Creations
JMK PCBs *New Website*
pedal company - youtube - facebook - Used Pedals

rullywowr

pickdropper

If they ever stop making Blu Tak, engineers across the land will riot.
Function f(x)
Follow me on Instagram as pickdropper

chromesphere

I concur.  Don't know what I did before I started using it...oh wait I remember!  Wrestle with helping hands!

Pedal Parts Shop              Youtube

jimilee

That's pretty genius. Seemed silly til you turned the board vertical then the clouds all cleard and I had an aha moment. Nice I never had a problem with resistors and diodes but wires do sometimes pose an issue because that's what I do last and sometimes they do fall out. Thank you
Pedal building is like the opposite of sex.  All the fun stuff happens before you get in the box.

rullywowr

Great video, CS.  This is how it's done.  Blu Tack is on of those things if you haven't used it before seems like a luxury/not really needed.  Once you use it however, you wonder how you ever lived without it.

gordo

Great video.  This whole time I've been thinking the Blutak is blue painters tape.  I've never seen the stuff (well I probably have but never gave it any mind).  I gotta dig this up!
Gordy Power
How loud is too loud?  What?

alanp

Tweezers are also invaluable for wiring up enclosures, makes it a lot easier (for me, at least) to keep the wiring tidy. If you're not a hamfisted meatworker like me, YMMV :)
"A man is not dead while his name is still spoken."
- Terry Pratchett
My OSHpark shared projects
My website