News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

Quick cap question

Started by menamestom, February 24, 2011, 10:52:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

menamestom

I have a load of capacitors I've ordered and some WIMA ones have µ1k250 on them, what value are they?

By process of elimination I'm hoping they are 100n / 0.1µ but I can't think how that would end up as µ1k250.
They are the orange square ones.  I'm presuming the 250 is voltage rating and µ1k is the value....

jkokura

It could be. U1 could be the value, k could be the tolerance, and 250 the voltage rating.

Jacob
JMK Pedals - Custom Pedal Creations
JMK PCBs *New Website*
pedal company - youtube - facebook - Used Pedals

madbean

Do you know what series they are? There will be a datasheet that explains exactly what the numbering means.

I'm think 1n and k tolerance, which is either 5 or 10%.

CRBMoA

Actually, with the µ in front of the digit, that could be consistent with 0.1µ.

I bought this so I never have to guess again. Best $10.00 I EVER spent as a builder.

Mine came from a different wholesaler, but it is identical.

I use it daily.

jkokura

JMK Pedals - Custom Pedal Creations
JMK PCBs *New Website*
pedal company - youtube - facebook - Used Pedals

gtr2

I just built the one from Chris's previous post last year, I think it was seed studios or something where I got it.  I had it sitting unfinished for a couple months and built it the other day.  Easy build, works great.

Thanks Chris!
1776 EFFECTS STORE     
Contract PCB designer

bigmufffuzzwizz

that seems useful! i have to say my multimeter capacitance meter doesn't like to read anything in the pf range but this kit reads 1 pf - 500 uf!!! thats awesome!! for 14 dollars :D
Owner and operator of Magic Pedals

menamestom

That kit looks great, only problem would be if you needed it to read the caps in the kit!

I've checked on the WIMA website and can't find anything.  I'll drop them a line.

I do wonder why this has to be so hard when they could just write the value on the side.....

bigmufffuzzwizz

its not too bad. You'll get used to it after awhile. A conversion chart helps a lot in the beginning. or get this!!! ---->http://cgi.ebay.com/VC99-3-6-7-Auto-range-digital-multimeter-bag-/290531843784?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item43a50c1ec8

This is what i use. For $30 bucks you can't go wrong and if you wanna bid on one you might get it cheaper. My next step is an old school one that shows leakage as well!!
Owner and operator of Magic Pedals