News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

mn3009 vs mn3007

Started by martysh, November 13, 2013, 03:58:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

martysh

Has anybody used a MN3009 instead if a mn3007 in a ce2 style circuit?  What are the differences between the two?

Govmnt_Lacky

3009 = 256-stage BBD
3007 = 1024-stage BBD

Big difference  ;)

RobA

They are good for doing Karplus-Strong synthesis. They don't seem to be very common now. It would be nice to have a few of them plus some 3004's for playing around with in synthesis circuits.
Affiliations: Music Unfolding (musicunfolding.com), software based effects and Rock•it Frog (rock.it-frog.com), DIY effects (coming soon).

DutchMF

Quote from: RobA on November 13, 2013, 06:36:55 PM
They are good for doing Karplus-Strong synthesis.

Excuse my ignorance, but: what? Is that something the synth crowd uses?

Paul
"If you can't stand the heat, stay away from the soldering iron!"

RobA

Quote from: DutchMF on November 13, 2013, 07:07:55 PM
Quote from: RobA on November 13, 2013, 06:36:55 PM
They are good for doing Karplus-Strong synthesis.

Excuse my ignorance, but: what? Is that something the synth crowd uses?

Paul
Yeah. It's a form of physical modeling. It would normally be done in a digital setting, but there are modular synth modules that can be used to do it with BBD's. The main idea is to use a delay as the resonant structure and to "strike" or "blow" it using a noise source. Pretty cool really.

Here's a link to the Doepfer module. It has some KS audio demos down the page a bit.
http://www.doepfer.de/A1881.htm

I have an AU effect module that uses something close to KS to do resonant string simulation and I'd love to be able to try it with BBD's, but 13 rare BBD IC's are a bit too expensive to really play with.
Affiliations: Music Unfolding (musicunfolding.com), software based effects and Rock•it Frog (rock.it-frog.com), DIY effects (coming soon).