News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

My son's first pedal (Sqweeker) -and my first 1590A

Started by das234, November 12, 2013, 02:45:22 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

das234

My 7 year old saw has been watching me build pedals and learning about them with me and getting excited when we get a new package from Tayda, Madbean, Small Bear or wherever.  So, I asked him if he wanted to build a pedal and he enthusiastically said YES.  I had etched a Sqweeker board that I thought would be a nice simple project for him.  I showed him how to read the doc to populate the board, gave him a soldering lesson and let him go to work.  He did a great job.  We tried out the Null mod but didn't feel like it was necessary.  We rocked before we boxed and then I let him design the enclosure.   We went with a 1590A simply because we could.  It was clear that, even with no knobs, it would be a tight fit so I took care of boxing it up (my first 1590A).  And I have to say, after tackling it, you 1590A devotees (you know who you are) are a different breed.  These little guys are tricky.  Anyway, I'm proud of his work; here it is:

pickdropper

That. Is. Awesome.

Congrats on getting your son interested in it.  I believe that getting him started early will be beneficial to him down the road.
Function f(x)
Follow me on Instagram as pickdropper

das234

Quote from: pickdropper on November 12, 2013, 03:00:44 PM
That. Is. Awesome.

Congrats on getting your son interested in it.  I believe that getting him started early will be beneficial to him down the road.

Or land us both in the poor house surrounded by heaps of shiny guitar pedals! 
Seriously though, it's awesome because I didn't learn to solder properly or identify a capacitor until I was over 40.  He's doing it at 7.

davent

Super project Dave! You have an EE or graphic artist in the making there.

dave
"If you always do what you always did- you always get what you always got." - Unknown

If my photos are missing again... they're hosted by photobucket... and as of 06/2017 being held hostage... to be continued?

lincolnic

jkokura

My Boy is 2, and he already sits and watches me work. I love the idea of building with kids, and I can't wait till I can do it.

My kids friends are gonna be pretty ripped when they come to our house and see all the cool gear they get to use because their dad builds/hoards musical instruments...

Jacob
JMK Pedals - Custom Pedal Creations
JMK PCBs *New Website*
pedal company - youtube - facebook - Used Pedals

midwayfair

This is A+ work!

Quote from: jkokura on November 12, 2013, 04:55:45 PMMy kids friends are gonna be pretty ripped when they come to our house and see all the cool gear they get to use because their dad builds/hoards musical instruments...

Yeah, but once he's old enough for all his friends to play rock music, your kid's gonna be really embarrassed by his dad and all the electronics.  :o

Source: I used to be a kid and am still embarrassed.

Stomptown

Very Cool! I can't wait for my daughter to get a little older so we can do a build together. Looks great too. I love the graphics!

jimilee

I love doing this type stuff with my daughter, and she does too. Nicely done.
Pedal building is like the opposite of sex.  All the fun stuff happens before you get in the box.

davent

Quote from: midwayfair on November 12, 2013, 05:47:55 PM
This is A+ work!

Quote from: jkokura on November 12, 2013, 04:55:45 PMMy kids friends are gonna be pretty ripped when they come to our house and see all the cool gear they get to use because their dad builds/hoards musical instruments...

Yeah, but once he's old enough for all his friends to play rock music, your kid's gonna be really embarrassed by his dad and all the electronics.  :o

Source: I used to be a kid and am still embarrassed.

Yeah, you may well be the cool parent but that's only ever in the eyes of someone else's kids and they get real pissed if their friends want to come over to play with you and your stuff and ignore them.
"If you always do what you always did- you always get what you always got." - Unknown

If my photos are missing again... they're hosted by photobucket... and as of 06/2017 being held hostage... to be continued?

icecycle66

I wish I were introduced to this sort of thing )electronics in general) at such a young age.

Gledison

If i fart a lot,  it means that i'm a Gas expert ?

Thomas_H

Usually its something that runs only a short time. Somewhere between the age of 8 and 12 you can get your children interested in such things. Before, they may want to, but cant, after, they usually loose interest :-)

DIY-PCBs and projects:

Sibob

This is extremely cool!
My dad is an electronics engineer, and I did not come to be interested in pedal building until the age of 29 (I'm 30 now).
That's 29 years of not utilising my dads vast knowledge.
Obviously it's very difficult to keep a childs interest/enthusiasm about such things up during the various 'difficult years' of growth, but having that early exposure can only be a help......one I wish I'd made more of :)

Si

timbo_93631

Good work!  My dad started me soldering around the same age, as well as teacing me woodworking, carpentry, plumbing, mechanics, etc.  It has turned into a lifelong DIY mindset, and I was never embarrassed of his knowledge/skills. 

When I was a teenager I'd be embarrassed when I'd bring a girl or friends home around 10 o'clock and find dad rattling off hyper focused Morse code doing DX on his ham radio to someplace like Teran Tuva while wearing this outfit: WWII bomber cans over his ears, tighty whitey underwear, old holey V-neck tee, black socks. 

It is 5:30am, I am communicating with people far away through the internet while I sit in my Airborne Toxic Event T, boxers, and black socks so I guess the apple hasn't fallen too far from the tree after all. 
Sunday Musical Instruments LLC.
Sunday Handwound Pickups