Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

NPD

Started by LaceSensor, November 10, 2013, 02:54:51 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

LaceSensor

NPD
Strymon BigSky

Had one on order since announced, got to pick it up yesterday, including a board re-jig
Sounds exceptional as one might expect.
Also installed some Diago risers, little 1'' platforms to raise some pedals up.
Once I get a midi controller for the timeline I think Ill ditch the DL-4, for now it'll remain for half speed looping...

micromegas

That pedalboard is awesome!!
You should do a demo... :)
'My favorite programming language is solder' - Bob Pease

Software Developer @ bela.io

micromegas

where's the "farmer's mill" by the way?
'My favorite programming language is solder' - Bob Pease

Software Developer @ bela.io

LaceSensor

Farmers mill will not be on the board, it's a kinda sparse use novelty effect. I plan to use it on some resordings. I actually had to send back the first one and I just got the new one in yesterday. Damaged in shipping :( stupid uk post officers.

The new one is however orange and marginally cooler than the original white one haha. I have an insert loop on the top right of the board where I can add effects in if needed. It seems to work quite well there.

jkokura

So where's your other pedalboard with your DIY stuff?

Jacob
JMK Pedals - Custom Pedal Creations
JMK PCBs *New Website*
pedal company - youtube - facebook - Used Pedals

alanp

Quote from: jkokura on November 10, 2013, 05:29:58 PM

Jacob

+1

I like how the Strymon pedals flow together nicely :)
"A man is not dead while his name is still spoken."
- Terry Pratchett
My OSHpark shared projects
My website

LaceSensor

Quote from: jkokura on November 10, 2013, 05:29:58 PM

Jacob

DIY stuff all replaced by the strymons to be honest...

But with the amount of pedals I own both DIY and commercial I could make maybe 10 complete boards....

jkokura

I have 4 boards, and I just went down to 2 in circulation currently. I will have all 4 going shortly though, and I thought about adding a fifth for some fun.

Jacob
JMK PCBs *New Website*

LaceSensor

Quote from: jkokura on November 10, 2013, 08:08:50 PM
I have 4 boards, and I just went down to 2 in circulation currently. I will have all 4 going shortly though, and I thought about adding a fifth for some fun.

Jacob

I approve of this notion and would like to subscribe to your teachings.

jkokura

Quote from: LaceSensor on November 10, 2013, 08:51:23 PM
I approve of this notion and would like to subscribe to your teachings.

The teachings are quite simple... Padawan.

1. Different boards for different instruments/musical roles - I used to have one big board that had all my pedals on it. That was before I got into DIY. I sort of made due when I played a role that was outside of my board's design (like acoustic rhythm). Plus, when I launched my addiction hobby I found I had too many pedals. So, now I play acoustic rhythm, electric rhythm, and electric lead guitar and it made more sense to split up boards for each purpose - theres too many situations where I need to be able to plop my board in front of a mic so it has to be simple and small, but that small board doesn't do much for me when I'm playing lead. Plus, I need boards that fit different instruments... It's too hard to fit it all on one board, so multiple boards fits the bill.

2. Different boards for different situations - I used to just play one style of music. Then, when I launched into DIY, I also found I was launching into multiple styles of music, not to mention multiple situations (live, practice, studio). To make matters worse, I'm finding I'm playing in multiple locations again, not just in church on the stage, so I need to be ready for my main 'gig' but also have the ability to travel light and quick and setup in a pinch somewhere else.

So how do I run things?

1. Acoustic board - I have a PT Nano that holds a DI box and a couple pedals. I don't run much for my acoustic guitar, just a Digital Reverb and Tuner most of the time, but it's a pain to hook up those pedals and a power supply most of the time. So, I got a little board, and it's perfect. I also like bringing my own DI, because rarely does the house have a good solution. I use a Radial ProDI or my JDI if I need sonic amazingness. I also run a Boss RV-3 and a Boss TU-2 all the time. Sometimes I run a CE-2 clone and/or a Compressor (Ross, Engineer's Thumb, Boss CS-2).

2. Essentials board - I will typically run an essentials board. This is comprised of at least: Compressor, Overdrive, Delay, Reverb, Tuner. Sometimes it will also include a Volume Pedal, and depending on the need, maybe two overdrives, or a boost and an overdrive. For much of the last two years, this board has been a PT Mini. It's a bit wider than the Nano, so it handles a few more pedals. Recently I disassembled my Mini and I've switched to my PTJR to include a Volume Pedal, which is pretty handy. Right now my chain is: Barber Tonepress/Ross clone Compressor (which depends on the day), JMKlone, EB 6166 Volume Pedal, Strymon Timeline, Boss RV-5. I also run a Polytune out of the Volume Pedal's Tuner output.

3. Extravagent board - I'm currently gearing up to really have a good go at a nice, do everything I want, especially for Lead guitar, Pedalboard... again. I typically have run this on my PT 2, which is a good 24" wide. That's pretty wide, and if I really wanted to, I think I could house nearly 20 pedals on it. If I put 125B's side by side... well, It could get silly really. Currently, I'm planning to get the Bigsky, and I have a project coming down the pipe here that will enable me to run a one-stomp-changes-everything sort of board with 8-9 pedals plus a volume pedal. At that point, I'll also disassemble the PT JR. This will likely go: Comp > Epic Looper > 5 loops of overdrive, fuzz, modulation > Volume Pedal (with tuner in the 2nd output) > Timeline > Bigsky.

4. DIY only - Really, all of us who are addict hobby builders should be striving to not only build but use these devices. I've caught myself too often jamming away with my DIY pedals all day long, and then only using one or two DIY pedals out of 8 or 12 when playing out. I am getting back to using more DIY than what I've been using, and will certainly soon feature a main board thats more than %50 my builds. That's been rare for me. Anyway, point being, I'll be getting back to a DIY only situation, and I'll be building it onto my PT Mini shortly. It should look like this: Comp - Phaser - Fuzz - Drive - Tremolo - Chorus - Delay - Reverb. Those are the effects I use. Which and many will depend on the board I choose to use, because I can get 7 125B pedals on a PT Mini, but I can get way more on a PT JR along with a volume pedal.

5. Grab and go - Everyone needs something that they can literally grab and go with, no worrying about power supplies, cables, and all that stuff. That's the board I'm thinking of adding, and specifically I'm thinking about getting another PT Nano to do this with. My bare minimum setup involves a Compressor, Overdrive, Delay and Reverb, so this will likely be what I go with. My probably setup will include the Tone Press I have, I don't know what Overdrive, My Strymon El Capistan, and a Boss RV-5 I will be sort of 'replacing' with the Big Sky. This board probably won't see much day to day use, but it will be handy to have around. With the price of the PT Nano boards, I might try and grab two, and setup a pre amp input and effects loop pair of boards... Yikes I'm an addict.

/thread highjack.

jacob
JMK PCBs *New Website*

pickdropper

Yeah, I'm thinking of adding a PT Nano as well, despite the fact I already have 5 boards.  Two of the boards are my acrylic 1590a boards, but the PT Nano has the carrying case, which is of value to me.  The acrylic ones are likely to be used in more stationary environments unless I come up with a good case for them.
Function f(x)
Follow me on Instagram as pickdropper

LaceSensor

I'll probably put something together in my old pedalboard.
Either a wall of distortions, or delays. Or both.

chromesphere

Hope your proud of yourself lace sensor?   Guess who's getting one for Christmas?   My will power is only so strong...
Paul

Edit: oh but the question!  :P How does it sound?  Any YT videos or sound samples?
Pedal Parts Shop              Youtube

eldanko

I've probably got a comparable number of pedals to some of the guys in this thread...

...but since I started playing guitar full time a couple of months ago, it's amazing how few I actually find myself taking on the road. My huge sooper-boutique stereo board is literally sitting in my storage room. My grab and go board, on the other hand, is starting to see the most action of any of them.

That being said, killer looking board Lace! I've owned both a Timeline and a Mobius before, and they're freaking great. What amp is all of this going through?
www.danekinser.com - Music, Builds, other nonsense

LaceSensor

Black star artisan 15
Or
Fender hot rod deluxe

Both 1x12 combos