News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

Kingslayer, current lover and slow loris: No output!

Started by Jpandeirada, November 06, 2013, 04:18:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jpandeirada

Hi,
So, a few months ago I bought 6 circuit boards to include in an academic work.
3 of them work, the other 3 don't (kingslayer, current lover and slow loris).
Now i'm about to present my project and I can't do it without these effects running...
I've double checked the possibility of bridges, as all capacitors, diodes, regulators, transistors... It's all well placed.
I have to say that I'm a rookie at electronics, and that's why I can't figure it out what the problem is.

In the three cases, only the volume pot works well and I can't ear my input signal. All I ear is a middle-bass noise.
Kingslayer's ic's overheat.
Could the problem be at the Ic's?
on current lover I'm using a HCF4049UBE instead of CD4049UBE, and HCF4013BP instead of CD4013BCN.
Hope you understand I'm a little desperate and realy need to figure it out what's going on.
Could someone help me?
I think the next step is to measure Ic's right?
Later I'll share a photo os my project :)

Thanks

GermanCdn

First question would be if you have three that don't work, are you sure your testing rig is functioning properly?  I'm assuming with this statement that you haven't wired up the circuits to a switch yet.
The only known cure in the world for GAS is death.  That's my story, and I'm sticking to it.

DutchMF

Take a look at this first: http://www.madbeanpedals.com/forum/index.php?topic=902.0 The more details/pics/info you give, the higher the chance someone can help you. Curtis' suggestion is also a good one, so you might want to check that first.
I must say you've got me quite interested in that academic work, I really can't imagine what it might be.........

Paul
"If you can't stand the heat, stay away from the soldering iron!"

Jpandeirada

Hello,

Yesterday I was in a hurry when I wrote this, sorry...
I need every effect to operate like a part of a modular synthesizer, which means that I don't need a switch for any effect. I'm using this wiring:

and this is the project/instrument/prototype :P

It's an acoustic instrument with piano mechanics, modulated and effected by analog means (madbean circuits)

hope you can help me

thanks

Jpandeirada

Current lover:

Kinslayer:

Slow Loris:

Sorry for bad quality...

pickdropper

On the Current Lover, the through-zero connection needs to be jumpered.  In the pics, it looks like it might not be.
Function f(x)
Follow me on Instagram as pickdropper

Jpandeirada

What you mean by through-zero connection?
Is it the SND/RTN?

Jpandeirada

Hello again,

Could someone have the patience to help me?
:-X

DutchMF

Quote from: Jpandeirada on November 07, 2013, 01:41:26 PM
What you mean by through-zero connection?
Is it the SND/RTN?

Yes, it is, and should be jumpered, it's at the bottom of page 4 of the build doc. The Kingslayer getting hot might be a problem with the power supply, so check it's getting 9V and all the wiring is as it should be. Also, if you can, post some better in focus pics, zoomed in as far as possible (of course with the entire board in the frame  ;)) of both sides of the boards, these don't really help to take a good look at components and solder joints.

BTW, that thing your building looks great!

Paul

"If you can't stand the heat, stay away from the soldering iron!"

gjcamann

Any chance you could give these to a friend who could double check all the component values for you. I find another set of eyes really helps find my mistakes. My wife is REALLY good at pointing out my mistakes, but unfortunately she doesn't know how to read capacitor codes. In the mean time, try and get some really good pics of both sides.

icecycle66

Man, I can't help you.

However, I would love to see the inside of that box and a demo onece you have it up and running.

That is a heck of a project.

Jpandeirada

Hi guys,
so, I fixed SLow loris and Current lover :D
On slow loris, the problem was a tiny connection between 9V and G, and Current lover had a connection between the sleeve and tip input terminals, but still have a ground noise... Anyone can guess what the problem is? BTW, what a great sound :D
The kingslayer still not working. I solved the overheating problem, but now I have no output, zero... On IC2, I'm using an CPA termination IC. The 'manual' says to use an SCPA... http://www.madbeanpedals.com/projects/Kingslayer/Kingslayer.pdf
Could it be the problem?

Thanks to all,
and yes, I'll make a video for you :)

Jpandeirada

I solved the overheating problem because the wiring was wrong...

marauder

I've found that the current lover is incredibly noisy before putting into an enclosure.