News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

Pork Barrel, any space for battery?

Started by Gledison, November 04, 2013, 05:54:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Gledison

Hi guys...more I build, more troubles on my way..
I've started orgnaizing my drilling template and realized that originally (from the madbean scheme) there Is no place for a 9V battery. Im having problems with my 1spot  that is not a regulated DC and im building my pedals having a battery option.
does anyone build the chorus in a 1590b with a place for the battery?
thanks
Gledison
If i fart a lot,  it means that i'm a Gas expert ?

Mike B.

I would invest in a better power supply.

A) the chorus will run down your batteries ridiculously fast
B) it sounds better at 15v if you use the mn3007
C) batteries are terrible for the environment

Add up what you spend in a year on batteries, and that power supply will pay for itself.

Gledison

Hey Mike. I definitely prefer to use a PS instead of battery.
I've just got a 1spot sometime ago following some suggestions. Im currently with no Band and sadly no Gigs.
Before investing in a expensive PS I need to be sure that the noise im getting with some pedals is really de to the 1Spot.
any suggestions on how to mesure how unregulated the 1spot is?
cheers mate
Gledison

GrindCustoms

I do agree with everything Mike stated.

No need to buy a pedal power plus 2....or other psu of the like.....

I've been using a MXR DC-Brick...for years now...never had any issue....

Yes some people say that they hear more noise and what not........but it never occured to me.....probably because i don't have «golden ears»....

You can find some on the cheap....It will give you 9 and 18V outlets....if you're going to build the porkbarrel....with a MN3007 all you'll have to do is put a L7815 Voltage Regulator on your DC jack...and it will work flawlessly.
Killing Unicorns, day after day...

Building a better world brick by brick:https://rebrickable.com/users/GrindingBricks/mocs/

billstein

I never put a battery in my builds, but if I want to check them with a battery just solder a 2.1mm plug
http://www.smallbearelec.com/servlet/Detail?no=1217

onto a battery snap
http://www.smallbearelec.com/servlet/Detail?no=1098

Then you can use an external battery on any of your pedals.

GermanCdn

You can pick up the Harley Benton power plant from Thomann for quite cheap, not completely isolated, but a decent alternative to a one spot and it will give you different outlets.  They also have a Gator pedalboard with a bag and a Bus-8 power supply for 85 Euro, I found the Bus-8 solved most of the dirty power issues I had when I lived in Leipzig.
The only known cure in the world for GAS is death.  That's my story, and I'm sticking to it.

DutchMF

Quote from: GrindCustoms on November 04, 2013, 07:50:03 PM

Yes some people say that they hear more noise and what not........but it never occured to me.....probably because i don't have «golden ears»....

You can find some on the cheap....It will give you 9 and 18V outlets....if you're going to build the porkbarrel....with a MN3007 all you'll have to do is put a L7815 Voltage Regulator on your DC jack...and it will work flawlessly.

Something along the same line (and price range) as the MXR DC Brick:

http://www.thomann.de/nl/trex_fuel_tank_junior.htm

Been using one for over 6 years now, without a single problem. Let's do the math:
-It powers at least 5 stompboxes, and 10 is possible for sure! I'm using six.
-With my playing habits (weekly rehearsal, occasional gig, jam night 2 times a month) the average battery lasts me a month at max (in some boxes longer, some shorter), so that equals 6 x 12 = 72 batteries in a year!!!!!
-Lets say a good quality 9V battery costs 3 euros. 72 x 3 = 216 euros per year!!!!

This means I could almost buy 2 (two!!!) of those nice PSU's a year, not to mention all the batteries not going to the landfill....... Plus, there are better deals than Thomann's and cheaper options than the Fuel Tank/DC Brick. Take the plunge!!!

Paul
"If you can't stand the heat, stay away from the soldering iron!"

Gledison

Quote from: DutchMF on November 04, 2013, 10:08:37 PM
Quote from: GrindCustoms on November 04, 2013, 07:50:03 PM

Something along the same line (and price range) as the MXR DC Brick:

http://www.thomann.de/nl/trex_fuel_tank_junior.htm

Been using one for over 6 years now, without a single problem. Let's do the math:
-It powers at least 5 stompboxes, and 10 is possible for sure! I'm using six.
-With my playing habits (weekly rehearsal, occasional gig, jam night 2 times a month) the average battery lasts me a month at max (in some boxes longer, some shorter), so that equals 6 x 12 = 72 batteries in a year!!!!!
-Lets say a good quality 9V battery costs 3 euros. 72 x 3 = 216 euros per year!!!!

This means I could almost buy 2 (two!!!) of those nice PSU's a year, not to mention all the batteries not going to the landfill....... Plus, there are better deals than Thomann's and cheaper options than the Fuel Tank/DC Brick. Take the plunge!!!

Paul
hey guys, totally agree with the maths..:P
what about the famous Voodoo lab? its not worth paying a bit more and getting one of them?
PS: im still pissed off with this 1Spot. I]ve read good comments about it in some pedal forums and even in their website they say that is regulated. always when I plug my pedals with it, I get huge noise probs...damn it!

Scruffie

Use a 12V regulator (didn't the BOSS supplies for this originally put out 12V?) and a charge pump and it should be fine on battery for a while and you'll get some of the added head room benefits going above 9V.
Works at Lectric-FX

jkokura

regulated is different than quiet. Regulated simply means that it is setup to NOT provide voltage spikes. That means that it only puts out the 9V it's supposed to put out. However, it's still a switching supply, so it's prone to noise and issues when daisy chaining.

What you're talking about is Isolation, and that requires transformers that have multiple taps, which can get expensive quickly.

I have had many power supplies, including a One Spot and multiple Voodoo Labs units. I recommend them all depending on the power needs and situation.

Jacob
JMK Pedals - Custom Pedal Creations
JMK PCBs *New Website*
pedal company - youtube - facebook - Used Pedals

Gledison

Quote from: jkokura on November 04, 2013, 10:36:44 PM
regulated is different than quiet. Regulated simply means that it is setup to NOT provide voltage spikes. That means that it only puts out the 9V it's supposed to put out. However, it's still a switching supply, so it's prone to noise and issues when daisy chaining.

What you're talking about is Isolation, and that requires transformers that have multiple taps, which can get expensive quickly.

I have had many power supplies, including a One Spot and multiple Voodoo Labs units. I recommend them all depending on the power needs and situation.

Jacob
Jacob, thanks for the explanation.
on my sea urchin, if im using with battery no problem at all. when I use the 1Spot alone, no pedals in chain, I get a huge noise when I turn the oscillation and delay more than 10%.
im not that picky with a little noise, just want to figure it out if im doing something wrong or is really the 1Spot that's the problem...
cheers

jkokura

It's a switching supply, which is probably why you're getting the problem. Go with Batteries if you'd prefer, or clean up the power with a power bullet...

Or go with something else that works. I dunno.

Jacob
JMK PCBs *New Website*

alanp

Jacob, linear PSU's are quieter by nature, right? The trade-off being more iron needed in the transformer...
"A man is not dead while his name is still spoken."
- Terry Pratchett
My OSHpark shared projects
My website

jkokura

You know, I don't know the reason for it, I just know that the typical small 'boss style' adapters are switching types, and that's part of the reason they're noisy. I also know by experience that the Voodoo Labs are transformer based and much quieter and isolated and so on.

I don't know the technical reasons, but I sound like I do ;)

Jacob
JMK PCBs *New Website*

jimilee

I have an mxr power brick at home for testing pedals and a one spot on my board ironically. I've found that testing pedals with a dc adapter killed the adapter. I dunno if it was plugging and unplugging so many times or what, but I've lost 2 different dc adapters so far and a joyo power supply. As far as measuring your one spot, with a dmm you can measure the voltage coming out of it.tip is negative. Also I have a couple of battery snaps on a dc plug, very handy indeed.
Pedal building is like the opposite of sex.  All the fun stuff happens before you get in the box.